JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
The two articles below, make the case for the 6.5 and 7mm-08 over the 308 for distance. From 100 to 300 yards, the 308 has more take down power; but, it's not that much to brag about. I really doubt I will ever try shooting over 300 yards (and that's a long while off for me anyway), but I never know. (For this year, I seriously doubt that I will attempt to shoot beyond 100 yards, so 200 or 300 yards sounds really long to me!) Just so you know, I shot a friend's rifle with Russian 7.62x39, and I really liked it. He encouraged me to consider the 308 as my future rifle, since he thought the recoil was similar to his rifle. I joined this forum around a month ago thinking maybe the 308 was the way to go. From these and other articles I've read, plus the comments of many on this forum, I think the 6.5 and 7mm-08 performs about as well as anything below a 30-06. These are short articles and see what you think?
6.5 Creedmoor vs .308 Winchester | The Hunting Gear Guy
7mm-08 Defeats 308 Again - Ron Spomer Outdoors
Ballistically the .270 would match up almost identically to the 6.5 Creedmoor up to 800M. So you may want to consider that as well.

Last Edited:
I listed the cartridges that I have the most experience with.
The only 6.5 cartridges that I have much experience with are the :
.264 Win Mag and 6.5 Swede...both are also very fine cartridges....:D
Andy
The 6.5 Swede is still the most popular round in Sweden and I think they even shoot moose with it.

308 will likely get you some cheap practice ammo. If you ever do reload, its also easy to come up with a decent load. Its a reason I like the 270 as well. You can get cheap Federal blue box for around $14 a box and its actually not a bad load for deer. 270 and 30-06 will make up the lions share of hunting loads in most stores. The 243, 270, 308, 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag probably make up 90% of what you'll see in the woods.

Don't forget the 30-30! I've given with one regularly and have seen them becoming more and more common

I once owned a pre-war Savage 219 in .30-30...While not quite in the same league as a Low Wall...it was a fine shooter.
I would love to get another one...someday...Maybe I'll look into the new Henry Single Shot rifle in .30-30.
Andy

I got my grandads 30-30. I hope I'll be able to harvest with it in time.

If the OP wanted to try something cool, try the wildcat 6.8 Whelen Express. 150gr bullets at near 3000fps, recoil less than the 308, can be chambered in any standard long action. Its easy to load and I hear that you can fireform 270 factory ammo in it. Rumor is Jack O'Connor favored it.

834A1860-FDFF-4477-9B65-0DDC510D888B.jpeg

So .... I went back to top to find the OP topic.
Best Might be the AR15 in an ARP 6.8 18" .5" 5 shot @100 yards 110 Nosler Accubond 5 rnd PRI Mag light as you want.

I wonder if you are not making a great point. The 6.5 Creedmoor is the new kid on the block and, no doubt, many have their ammo their partial to. I am still open to caliber and cartridge sizes, but in the end recoil will matter! I have arthritis in my neck and, ultimately, that will be the biggest factor in deciding rifle loads. Shooting birdshot doesn't seem to bother my neck, but on two different occasions I have fired slugs that really jolted my neck. The arthritis is due to a neck injury as a teenager, and I am just grateful I didn't suffer paralysis. A chiropractor x-rayed my neck about ten years ago and found the C6 was about halfway compressed. So, if some want to imply I'm being a sissy, at least you now know my concern is for real.

Status

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads