JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
6mm Remington

458377.jpg

There's a cartridge I am not familiar with, and several online comments say that it is a good choice under 300 yards!

My best shooting buddy had one that he used for deer. It got the job done and was so sweet to shoot!!! Very pleasant after shooting my .308, which really doesn't bother me, but the .257Rob is just easy, peasy! Not much more than .223!

I'm intrigued by the use of bolt action 7.62x39 since so much practice ammo is available cheaply. Are there factory hunting loads, or does one have to reload to use this cartridge for hunting?

Oh, here's one, 125gr soft point:

g76239b__83146.1386135423.jpg

My best shooting buddy had one that he used for deer. It got the job done and was so sweet to shoot!!! Very pleasant after shooting my .308, which really doesn't bother me, but the .257Rob is just easy, peasy! Not much more than .223!
And there doesn't seem to be an explanation for why it never became popular. Maybe it didn't go boom loud enough?

And there doesn't seem to be an explanation for why it never became popular. Maybe it didn't go boom loud enough?

I think it may have been because all-around use cartridges in 30cal, and heavier bullets, were favored. As they could be used for both deer and elk. IDK, not sure. I might have to do some reading on that. IMO the mil-surplus availability of 30 cal may have been a factor.

I'm intrigued by the use of bolt action 7.62x39 since so much practice ammo is available cheaply. Are there factory hunting loads, or does one have to reload to use this cartridge for hunting?
I bought 100 rounds for a friend when I used his gun at the range. I was very impressed with the cartridge, and I would guess it could have been easily used for hunting.

I bought 100 rounds for a friend when I used his gun at the range. I was very impressed with the cartridge, and I would guess it could have been easily used for hunting.

My SIL has a Yugoslav SKS in that. I shot it at cans & stuff in the CA desert and had a lot of fun. His kids shoot it too. Easy on the shoulder!! I don't think I'd want to shoot an elk at longer distances with it tho. Strictly a short range deal. But fine for deer at reasonable distances!

I looked up the question on the Russian 7.62x39 and It's most effective within 200 yards and beyond that rapidly loses effectiveness, with a maximum effective range of 400 yards.

I wonder if you are not making a great point. The 6.5 Creedmoor is the new kid on the block and, no doubt, many have their ammo their partial to. I am still open to caliber and cartridge sizes, but in the end recoil will matter! I have arthritis in my neck and, ultimately, that will be the biggest factor in deciding rifle loads. Shooting birdshot doesn't seem to bother my neck, but on two different occasions I have fired slugs that really jolted my neck. The arthritis is due to a neck injury as a teenager, and I am just grateful I didn't suffer paralysis. A chiropractor x-rayed my neck about ten years ago and found the C6 was about halfway compressed. So, if some want to imply I'm being a sissy, at least you now know my concern is for real.

In my limited experience I have found that things like the stock configuration has tremendous impact on felt recoil. I love the looks of the ruger model 77's wood stocks but for some reason they don't like me. Those stocks spider web my shoulder.

In my limited experience I have found that things like the stock configuration has tremendous impact on felt recoil. I love the looks of the ruger model 77's wood stocks but for some reason they don't like me. Those stocks spider web my shoulder.
I read an article yesterday that spoke about bad fit having to do with increased recoil, so a good fit was very important to reducing rifle recoil.

I read an article yesterday that spoke about bad fit having to do with increased recoil, so a good fit was very important to reducing rifle recoil.

Well, my experience would bear that out. I'm a 6' guy with long enough arms that I don't enjoy straight stocks or short stocks. The angle of the stock from receiver to shoulder seems to make a difference too. But I couldn't tell you what angle is best for me. I also like a Monte Carlo comb to rest my cheek on... seems to stabilize things and reduces pain in my cheek.

My tactical shotgun has a recoil reducing stock that works very well. It moves with the recoil and soaks it up much like some of the old Remington/Browning autos did. There are a few recoil stock accessories but I've never seen one that moves like that. Could be good for enabling 30-06 or better. I'm still looking at getting my brake put on the .308, not that I need it, just want some comfort for more target shooting.

If I paid that kind of money, I would have no retirement savings left!!! Or money for groceries. ;)
And the wife doesn't understand the need for several hunting rifles anyway. She's already squawking about what I want to get in the future, so I'd have a hell of a time justifying that expense!!! You gave me a great idea, though! When she starts griping, I will show her your suggestion and derail her! :)

And the wife doesn't understand the need for several hunting rifles anyway. She's already squawking about what I want to get in the future, so I'd have a hell of a time justifying that expense!!! You gave me a great idea, though! When she starts griping, I will show her your suggestion and derail her! :)

Might give her a heart attack! :oops:

Status

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews