JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It has occurred to me I have never taken a deer with a 44 mag wheel gun and I aim to change that next hunting season. I will be hunting out of a stand for blacktail that probably average 135# or so. I will most likely use my classic 6" SW629 that was the first wheelgun I ever bought 35 plus years ago. As a reloader I have developed several loads for it from wfn cast to some of the newer designs in bullets. My three choices that are in contention are, a 300gr wfn hardcast bullet, a 210gr gold dot or a lehigh defense 250gr extreme penetrator. My shots will be with open sights and 35yds or under. I am leaning towards the lehigh extreme penetrator load but will take a range day and see which load I can shoot the best before deciding. I may do some media testing also but have done some in the past with all but the lehigh bullet. Any input from any of the seasoned handgun hunters on the forum?

I haven't had experience with the Lehigh monolithics, but really want to try them. I'm a big fan on wfn hardcast bullets. I think either will suit you just fine, as long as they're accurate.

I haven't had experience with the Lehigh monolithics, but really want to try them. I'm a big fan on wfn hardcast bullets. I think either will suit you just fine, as long as they're accurate.
I don't reload, that being said I think I would want something that would dump most of its energy into the smaller deer carcass. When I think of extreme penetrator I think bear defense when you want the hard cast bullet. OldBroad44 would be the one to ask, she is all knowing when it comes to revolvers

The extreme penetrator does penetrate well but not as deep as a wfn hardcast, at least that is what my research leads me to believe. It is kind of the best of both worlds between a straight ling penetrating hardcast with little or no expansion and a jacketed expanding bullet that tends to dump more energy in the critter. The flutes cause fluid disruption similar to an expanding bullet while keeping form and penetrating well. My thinking is if for some reason I hit big bone it will still get the job done.

Last Edited:
My thinking is if for some reason I hit bit bone it will still get the job done.
The LeHigh Penetrators are an interesting bullet, if the Extreme Penetrators work as advertised it will be an effective hunting bullet but IMO penetration isn't something I would worry about at close range on deer and would be leery of using one designed specifically for that purpose regardless of potential wound channel claims. They don't deform and what I know about basic FMJ bullet wound channels can be very damaging on their own right from tumbling effect.
If you use them, I would be very interested to see how they work next fall when you get your deer.

Paul Harrel tests what I think* are LeHigh Penetrators but in 44 special, might want to check out his review. He Reviews 4 types of ammo on his meat target and got better damage with the Hornady Critical Defense.

*Factory ammo tested, didn't state exactly who made the bullet but...

video queued up to the meat target test ...

Yeah, I have seen Paul's vid on the bullets and I am not dissuaded from using them. We know a hardcast through vitals with no expansion will kill, albeit usually with a bit of tracking. I have killed one deer with a 16" 44 mag rifle using a 300 gr hardcast. It was a perfect double lung shot ticking a rib on the way out and I tracked him about 70-80 yds to find him dead. My hope is the flutes will effect more trauma in a behind the shoulder shot resulting in a slightly quicker kill.

I have killed a lot of deer with a 44 mag, Hornady XTP bullets have always done well both 240gr and 300gr, also used a lot of 240gr hard cast bullets, now I'm using barnes 225gr and Makers 275gr, The Makers is what I carry when hunting Cougars.
My .44mag T/C Encore rifle. K7gaUTQ.jpg

I have killed a lot of deer with a 44 mag, Hornady XTP bullets have always done well both 240gr and 300gr, also used a lot of 240gr hard cast bullets, now I'm using barnes 225gr and Makers 275gr, The Makers is what I carry when hunting Cougars.
My .44mag T/C Encore rifle.View attachment 1793168
I like XTP's a lot as well. I shot a rabbit with my 460XVR loaded with XTP's and there wasn't much left. Sorry @osprey that I don't have much to offer to your thread other than a little humor.

I have the contenders loaded. I thought I only had 210gr gold dots but it turned out I had 240 grainers, so I went with those instead.

IMG_5276.jpeg
I think I have xtp bullets as well so I may add them into the fold at some point.

My .44mag T/C Encore rifle.View attachment 1793168
That looks like a close cousin to my cva hunter in 44 mag. I had it shortened and threaded to improve its utility. This is the rifle I shot the deer with the hardcast 300 gr bullet.
IMG_5277.jpeg

I haven't taken deer with a 44 magnum revolver. But I've taken them with a .357 magnum revolver.

The rounds were 180 grain hard cast. A close-range shot that clips their spine in their neck drops them in their tracks.

My pistol has a 1-14" twist in it I have shot loads up to 340gr hard cast out of it really fun when you put a suppressor on it. F87lHti.jpg

I believe a handgun has to be over .40 cal and either a revolver or a semi auto to be able to hunt deer and elk in WA. No single shots like a contender even if they are in a legal pistol cartridge. Quite silly actually.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top