JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
This will vary on your favorite caliber. Recently, I had a sales clerk at Sportsmans Warehouse suggest that I seriously consider a .357 rifle and practice cheaply with. 38 specials. His suggestion sounded practical but I haven't read any reviews yet about accuracy to what distance. I have heard no more than 100 yards. I don't think a hunter can go wrong with either 7mm-08 or 6.5 Creedmoor, and accuracy and distance is no issue. I recently read an article by someone who boasted shooting ten shots at 1800 yards and hitting the target 3 times.

.357 for deer hunting not really my cup of tea.
I use the 7mm STW and have taken game cleanly from 100 yards - 800 yards. They drop where they stood.
Shot placement is key.

I think a 270 winchester is about perfect. I use a 7x57. I really dont think a magnum is needed
There are a lot of good deer rounds depending on the environment. I am really not a fan of using handgun cartridges for big game hunting. Hunting on the coast in oregon is significantly different than open country.

Having worked at Sportsmans, I can attest there are two types of employees there.

Those that know what they are talking about, yet say very little.

Those that know very little, yet don't shut up.

Sounds like you were talking to the latter. Lol.

357 mag isn't a horrible hunting cartridge, it surely is capable. I'd probably have recommended a true rifle cartridge though. Something capable of repeated results from a variety of distances.

I usually tell folks starting out to go with what they feel is right, not what others tell them.

There are so many good cartridges out there.

I think a 270 winchester is about perfect. I use a 7x57. I really dont think a magnum is needed
There are a lot of good deer rounds depending on the environment. I am really not a fan of using handgun cartridges for big game hunting. Hunting on the coast in oregon is significantly different than open country.

I agree that all-round calibers suit most people. The 7x57 could be perfect (and likewise other cartridges in this category). Its flat enough to hold on hair out to 325 yards or so. Its not so fast that it will cause too much blood-shot meat within 25 yards. It don't kick hard and bullet performance between 25 and 350 yards will be within the envelope that most hunting bullets are meant to perform. All of this and it won't get blown around in the wind too bad and barrel life is long.

Other cartridges in this category would be the 257 Roberts, 25-06 Remington, 6.5 Creedmoor, 260 Remington, 6.5x55, 270 Winchester, 7mm-08 Remington, and 280 Remington.

The 25-06, 270, and 280 will be a bit fast for the brush, but not obscenely so. I don't include 30 calibers because for STRICTLY DEER, they just arent necessary.

If you hunt in environments that require specialized equipment, you might do well with a close cover rifle using a larger bullet or maybe a long range rifle using a faster cartridge to deal with range and wind. But, for most deer hunting, its not necessary.

Last Edited:
I would recommend staying away from the magnums if you don't intend to be a long range hunter. Beyond that if you keep your bullets to 130gr. or less than recoil should be minimal. This is coming from someone who has smoked several deer and a few dogs with a 7RemMag and always wonder what I was thinking choosing that for a deer rifle YMMV

I think 270 will be your best bang for the buck, and it will be available any po dunk town corner store like the 06. I dont think it recoils that bad. Just get limb saver pad and you'll be set.
While 7-08 might have less recoil, you're going to spend $ per round.
6.5 may be the latest and grates low recoil target round, but again you're going to paying.
The 270 is proven deer and elk killer. It is my main deer gun and an elk back up to my 06... in case something happens. Or last year my daughter shot a spike almost 300 yards... high lung shot, pass through with the TTSX.
in MY case, I re load and found 140gr SST (practice or deer round) shoots the same as the 130TTSX for elk. Since you don't re load I'd recommend 140gr accubond. I think 140 is the sweet spot for 270.

If I were to pick one caliber I thought could do just about anything, i'd pick the .308 hands down. Fits in light, short actions but can be found in heavier rifles as well. It's plentiful and varies in weight/design. I think just about any caliber does SOMETHING better than the .308, but no caliber does AS MUCH as the .308

...I seriously consider a .357 rifle and practice cheaply with. 38 specials...
If you're looking at an Older Marlin with the Longer Barrel I don't think you can go Wrong. I have one that I'm looking for a New Home for. I don't remember what Length the Barrel is, I'll have to check. If you're interested let me know and I'll get the information.

30/30, 30-06, .308... any of the calibers mentioned including those you yourself have suggested.
Best is subjective and changes with conditions.
I'd look for a gun that could be accurate and effective out to 300 yards or more, and expect I'd probably never shoot an animal past 200yds... I would also look for a caliber that is readily accessible and easily found in specialized configurations if you don't reload.
.308 comes to mind...

Like said before, get what you think you'll like.

If I were to pick one caliber I thought could do just about anything, i'd pick the .308 hands down. Fits in light, short actions but can be found in heavier rifles as well. It's plentiful and varies in weight/design. I think just about any caliber does SOMETHING better than the .308, but no caliber does AS MUCH as the .308

And when the gun grabbers come for your "assault rifles", you can explain how they were lost in a boating accident and you didn't get rid of 5,000 rounds of 308 or 223 because you just happen to have bolt actions chambered in the same rounds!

I personally love the 30-06 for an all around bug game gun. I only retired my 06 when I stepped up to a 7mm Rem Mag because I have a tendency to find myself taking very long distance shots and the ballistics on the 7mm remain flat longer further than the 06. For just a deer rifle you can't go wrong with a 270. My personal opinion is that the.270 is a little light for elk, but remember, I like to shoot 300 plus yards frequently and I like to stack the odds a little more in my favor at distance.

Of course you realize that asking this question is like asking "What's the best color?", Right?

Trying to decide the absolute all-around best caliber, the .308 has way more ammunition choices for range practice and hunting. It probably depends on where it's purchased, but most of the caliber's mentioned in this thread are not that much different in price; and will be effective in bagging a deer. At one store, the .308 is far cheaper than anything else, but at Walmart .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor are close in price. It may come down to distance where some calibers begin to separate from others. In Oregon, 100 yards seems to be the standard distance. So, no doubt many of the calibers would work. I am not ready to purchase a rifle yet, but I see myself doing a great deal of practice with my hunting rifle. Because I am mindful of cost, the .308 makes the most sense. However, I think the 6.5 cm is closing the gap in popularity, and ammo will eventually become comparable to the cost of the .308. I noticed in 2018, several rifle manufacturers added the Creedmoor to many of their model's.

Status

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR