JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what to say on a thread. Don't overthink the question? There is no such thing as a perfect question or a perfect thread! So, stop thinking there is a perfect answer and provide a qualifier such as, "There are different calibers for differing situations, so I like a 234 for small deer, a 308 for whitetail, and a 300 magnum for elk. So, from my experience, a different caliber for different game." What's so hard about that? Nobody is asking for perfection, just your opinion! I think why some people get their bowels in an uproar is because they think too highly of their own opinion! And that's all I have to say about that!

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what to say on a thread. Don't overthink the question? There is no such thing as a perfect question or a perfect thread! So, stop thinking there is a perfect answer and provide a qualifier such as, "There are different calibers for differing situations, so I like a 234 for small deer, a 308 for whitetail, and a 300 magnum for elk. So, from my experience, a different caliber for different game." What's so hard about that? Nobody is asking for perfection, just your opinion! I think why some people get their bowels in an uproar is because they think too highly of their own opinion! And that's all I have to say about that!

I agreed with @tac and you quote me? Huh. :rolleyes:

For whitetail, blackmail and mule deer, I really like the 25-06 and 257 Roberts. Modern bullet construction combined with a little faster rate of twist, have generated a renewed optimism of both of these 25's. The 25-06 can be loaded with the light or heavier bullet weights producing flat shooting, hard hitting, Controlled expansion, hunting rounds.
The 257 Roberts is a terrific choice especially for women and young hunters who want to step up from the 243 win. Or 6mm Remington cartridge. I have shot several different rifles by various manufacturers and I believe the 257 Roberts has less felt recoil than even the 243. A wide variety of ammunition is readily available if you plan ahead.
Regardless of the cartridge you choose knowing how your rifle performs and your ability to to stay in bounds of your own shooting capability, you can ethically harvest any of the deer species with a 243 Winchester or a 375 H&H. The shooter and the rifle have to perform well together. There is no substitute for practice.
Nosler gets it, and here is an example of a great post!

Thread closed, 12 pages of what is the absolute best all around deer caliber. Simply fantastic folks!

Should quite litterally keep the OP busy reading about all of them for years.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads