JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
you guys are stressing too hard, sit back, take a deep breath and relax a minute, the election will be here before you know it, mitt will win and by this time next year all will be right with the world:s0160::s0112::s0155::s0131:

If you want my opinion(no one has said so, so I presume you don't, therefore I will give it to you anyway), SHTF has nothing to do with prepping or training or anything else - and it can be either minor or major. It is, essentially, any situation you find yourself in where you are are not expecting something to happen and are not prepared to react. Now of course all the preps and training help mitigate the situation, but ultimately it is out of your control. If you get a bad cut that is bleeding heavily and you don't have a first aid kit, that counts as SHTF. It will show up when you least expect it, where you have little or no availability to equipment or communication or help from others...

The whole idea of prepping and getting training is to put yourself in a state of mind where you do not succumb to the shock of the situation and can do something meaningful to lessen the impact of whatever has happened. There will be times where there is nothing you can do except wait or run. Life is a cruel thing, but your chances are a lot better if you use your brain, and have some basic tools available. No one is expecting you to disarm a bomb or stop a nuclear reactor from going into a meltdown, but it sure helps to know something about them so you can make informed decisions instead of joining the stamped of mindlessly panicking sheep.

If you want my opinion(no one has said so, so I presume you don't, therefore I will give it to you anyway), SHTF has nothing to do with prepping or training or anything else - and it can be either minor or major. It is, essentially, any situation you find yourself in where you are are not expecting something to happen and are not prepared to react. Now of course all the preps and training help mitigate the situation, but ultimately it is out of your control. If you get a bad cut that is bleeding heavily and you don't have a first aid kit, that counts as SHTF. It will show up when you least expect it, where you have little or no availability to equipment or communication or help from others...

The whole idea of prepping and getting training is to put yourself in a state of mind where you do not succumb to the shock of the situation and can do something meaningful to lessen the impact of whatever has happened. There will be times where there is nothing you can do except wait or run. Life is a cruel thing, but your chances are a lot better if you use your brain, and have some basic tools available. No one is expecting you to disarm a bomb or stop a nuclear reactor from going into a meltdown, but it sure helps to know something about them so you can make informed decisions instead of joining the stamped of mindlessly panicking sheep.

This is more like it:s0155: Everyone else sounds paranoid.

This SHTF the fan stuff is exactly what it sounds like. It can occur from a political uprising, natural disaster, distruption of food or fuel supplies, famine, pestilence, etc etc. I think you more about prepping from the "gun nuts" because imho, owning a firearm is a small but essential part of being prepared to feed and protect you and yours instead of relying on the government to do so when they can't or won't do so. Being preppared does not make one paranoid. It makes one smart and able to provide for themselves in case of an emergency. Really no different from carrying a cell phone or keeping flares and a spare tire in your car.
Hurricane Katrina was a great eye opener for a lot of people and definately an example of a SHTF situation. Unfortunately not everyone who prepared made it out of that one alive. Although the ones who were prepared were able to ride it own on their own and take care of themselves, rather than be shipped off to the Astrodome. The people in the Astrodome were a perfect example of what one goes through when people are not prepared to feed and protect themselves. The government first stripped them of their firearms and all other means to protect themselves.
They were then trapped in a building where there were literally mob beatings, rapes, murders, deaths, illnesses, and people sleeping in their own feces. That's about as much care as you can reasonably expect from the government or anyone else during a crisis of a large scale

You know I am not really prepared, I keep a few guns around. One by the front door, a couple in the bedroom, the bathroom, the hall closet. I don't consider myself over armed and I don't have a cache of weapons. I am a collector, license and everything (and a safe to prove it). I keep enough food around so I won't go hungry, so I use the extra bedroom as a pantry, so what?(Really got to look into reinforcing the floor). Rice and beans, a few canned goods, a couple of cases of water. Glad I put in that shelving. I reload ammo to save a few bucks, so I have a few pounds of powder and a few thousand bullets, so what?

SHTF preparedness, bah, I shop at costco. Gotta buy large to save money.

You know I am not really prepared, I keep a few guns around. One by the front door, a couple in the bedroom, the bathroom, the hall closet. I don't consider myself over armed and I don't have a cache of weapons. I am a collector, license and everything (and a safe to prove it). I keep enough food around so I won't go hungry, so I use the extra bedroom as a pantry, so what?(Really got to look into reinforcing the floor). Rice and beans, a few canned goods, a couple of cases of water. Glad I put in that shelving. I reload ammo to save a few bucks, so I have a few pounds of powder and a few thousand bullets, so what?

SHTF preparedness, bah, I shop at costco. Gotta buy large to save money.

If that's all you got, I guess that's a nice start

If that's all you got, I guess that's a nice start

Yeah whats your deal, I thought you were a prepper??????????

:s0112::s0114:

well when shtf the non-preppers will be asking for help.

really though isn't prepping all about being prepared for whatever, so shtf can have a different meaning to many different people. But one thin I have learned when HR calls you in says your job just went away and it sure is nice to have bills paid up or off, and plenty household and food items around, so that concentrate on getting a new job and not worry about feeding your family for the next six months and paying the bills

really though isn't prepping all about being prepared for whatever, so shtf can have a different meaning to many different people. But one thin I have learned when HR calls you in says your job just went away and it sure is nice to have bills paid up or off, and plenty household and food items around, so that concentrate on getting a new job and not worry about feeding your family for the next six months and paying the bills

This right here is what prepping is all about.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top