JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Learned a lot.

Earned even more.

Earned gratitude, appreciation, camaraderie, stewardship, and much more.

Also that Stomper is a real person, not an internet myth or some sort of NWFA AI, and a hell of a cool guy.

Hmm, what have I learned in my almost 7 years here...
  • @AndyinEverson was born in the wrong century, but if I ever need to do work with HBC, I'll be going to him for everything I need to know.
  • Chuck Norris is only afraid of one thing, @Stomper And Stomper is afraid of only one thing, not being careful enough with the funky cold medina.
  • Sasquatch is real, and he can be found in Vancouver, coincidentally right where one of our mods works.
  • Gun people are very opinionated, very individualistic and for the most part, very helpful and friendly.
  • I knew some things about guns when I first came here, I've learned more here than from any other source. When I have a question about guns, I know I can come here and get it answered, and answered well.
  • I've learned more about anti-gun legislation than I ever knew. When I came here, I knew virtually nothing about anti-gun legislation, and was shocked how big the fight really was. Since then, I've become much more active in working to protect those rights and informing others of the attacks on those rights.
  • I was encouraged to build my own AR, and I did.
  • People here are sometimes better at spending my money, than I am. I like to repay in kind.
  • The classified ads are filled with overpriced, over-modified, over-hyped guns. They are also filled with some great deals, if your timing is right.
  • @Howard1955 biscuits, are the best biscuits.
  • @Ura-Ki probably has better stories than the rest of you combined.
  • @No_Regerts will taze you, if you ask him nicely, or if you look at him cross-eyed.
  • Many people here can out shoot me.
  • You never have enough ammo, enough magazines, enough guns or enough space in your safe.
  • Far too many people take their guns/safes out on boats, with tragic consequences.
  • @WAYNO has owned more Rugers than Sturm Ruger has produced.
  • Some of y'all drink and post way too often.
  • @Velzey could thread a rattlesnake for a suppressor if he had the right tools
  • We've lost some good members over the years, including SgtNambu, IronMonster, NoFlinch, SalmonRiverJohn and some others.

Hmm, what have I learned in my almost 7 years here...
  • @AndyinEverson was born in the wrong century, but if I ever need to do work with HBC, I'll be going to him for everything I need to know.
  • Chuck Norris is only afraid of one thing, @Stomper And Stomper is afraid of only one thing, not being careful enough with the funky cold medina.
  • Sasquatch is real, and he can be found in Vancouver, coincidentally right where one of our mods works.
  • Gun people are very opinionated, very individualistic and for the most part, very helpful and friendly.
  • I knew some things about guns when I first came here, I've learned more here than from any other source. When I have a question about guns, I know I can come here and get it answered, and answered well.
  • I've learned more about anti-gun legislation than I ever knew. When I came here, I knew virtually nothing about anti-gun legislation, and was shocked how big the fight really was. Since then, I've become much more active in working to protect those rights and informing others of the attacks on those rights.
  • I was encouraged to build my own AR, and I did.
  • People here are sometimes better at spending my money, than I am. I like to repay in kind.
  • The classified ads are filled with overpriced, over-modified, over-hyped guns. They are also filled with some great deals, if your timing is right.
  • @Howard1955 biscuits, are the best biscuits.
  • @Ura-Ki probably has better stories than the rest of you combined.
  • @No_Regerts will taze you, if you ask him nicely, or if you look at him cross-eyed.
  • Many people here can out shoot me.
  • You never have enough ammo, enough magazines, enough guns or enough space in your safe.
  • Far too many people take their guns/safes out on boats, with tragic consequences.
  • @WAYNO has owned more Rugers than Sturm Ruger has produced.
  • Some of y'all drink and post way too often.
  • @Velzey could thread a rattlesnake for a suppressor if he had the right tools
  • We've lost some good members over the years, including SgtNambu, IronMonster, NoFlinch, SalmonRiverJohn and some others.
That sounds like a College Education to me !:D

Good OP, @284guy. Lots of good answers herein.

My 2 bits:
  1. On Guns:
    1. There's always sumpin' better, and for a few more dollars, you can make yours better too.
    2. it may not be as valuable as you think it is, but to someone else, it's gold.
    3. Passion and desire run deep, pockets not so much.
  2. On Ammo and magazines:
    1. No matter how set you think you are, even on death's doorstep, you never have enough.
    2. Learn how to roll your own, then you can shoot through 4x the amount and not feel like a raped ape.
  3. On Common Sense:
    1. Stupidity is infinite, except when it's yours. Then it's just dumb.
    2. Infinite stupidity often kills. Unfortunately it's often the wrong people and thus not self extinguishing.
    3. Darwin awards are funny.
  4. On NWFA and members here:
    1. Drink deep from the fountain of wisdom here, your cup will runneth over.
    2. Ask and ye shall be edumacated. Don't ask and you'll still be edumacated.
    3. Generosity runs deep in this group.
    4. @AndyinEverson likes black powder and has a cool collection of boomsticks.
      @EPS is a horrible speller.
      @Stomper is a clown, and @Boboclown is an uber serious Korean purveyor of FALs.
      I still miss Steve, a.k.a. Sergeant Nambu
    5. I can think of no other forum or group where we collectively get together as much as we do (as seldom as it is) and how much we take care of our own. Truly inspiring.
I hope I have been able to contribute at least 1/100th of what I have learned here. While I have closed all my other social accounts, I believe I would have a hard time avoiding this place.

There is a wealth of knowledge here! Ask and you will find out.
Memebers here are some of the best people!
On a very serious note.
One thing that I've learned, if you think for a brief second something is wrong. Take the time to ask someone if they are doing ok? This one still really bothers me allot. I talked to Larry ( Ironmonster ) twice on his last day. I should have asked:(

There is a wealth of knowledge here! Ask and you will find out.
Memebers here are some of the best people!
On a very serious note.
One thing that I've learned, if you think for a brief second something is wrong. Take the time to ask someone if they are doing ok? This one still really bothers me allot. I talked to Larry ( Ironmonster ) twice on his last day. I should have asked:(
I understand how you feel, but sometimes we encounter people in our lives, no matter how close we may become, they just don't want to burden others. But we're a community, a family, and I feel are capable of shouldering the pain our brothers and sisters may be experiencing. I'd say to anyone here, don't hesitate to share, let the family care for you, physically, emotionally and spiritually...

There are a lot of knowledgeable people and informative threads in this forum where you can learn a lot. Even without interacting, you can learn quite a bit by observing threads, like the classified ads. What are some things you've learned? I'll start;

1) People want you to think nobody wants to buy Savage rifles, or anything .40 S&W second hand.
2) When you customize a gun, people want you to think, you kill the value.
3) A $500 AR with 1K worth of add ons is still only worth $350-$400....this is true.
4) No matter how knowledgeable you are in a subject, somebody in here legitimately knows more than you, and collectively, the knowledge can be overwhelming....this is also true.
5) The old guys are usually right....this is ESPECIALLY true!

You were close, but I fixed it for you (gotcher back, bud ;) ).
Reasons for the "fixes"...
#1 - Because if everyone can be convinced that those items are "poo-poo" (as they say), then it'll make it that much cheaper and easier for those who know the REAL value of those items to get into them....then they can mark up the price slightly (right :rolleyes: ) and make a bit of coin off of selling them.
Supply and Demand! (seen this in action for many years on other forums dealing with different subject matter)
#2 - Basically, same line of thinking as #1.
#3 - ...well, it is...
#4 - If you don't realize this is true, regardless of what the subject is, then you're too young to be on a forum.
#5 - Common knowledge for a VERY long time! =)

Dean

I have learned a lot just reading this thread. Joined in Jan 2011 when I got my first AR and I am more of a lurker than a participant, but enjoy the reading. I love guns for some reason and don't shoot what I have enough. Guess I have something to work on. :p

I've happily learned that there are far more people who share my interest in firearms than I had thought.

I've unhappily learned that there are far more people who ask "when can I shoot someone?" than I had thought.

I've learned that I can have too many guns and that deep, deep, deep, real deep down I do know that I am a bad person, and I know I don't care. I missed my calling …. I could have been a Communist dictator!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top