JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
While not a "true M14"....

My M21 worked well for me in Panama , Desert Shield / Storm and Bosnia .
As in , actually worked...since I carry and used it to great effect on those deployments.
Would love to have one again...:D

As for the US not adopting the FN-FAL...I would imagine that it being made overseas , as it were , worked against it's adoption.
Andy
Some ordnance chief of the army was the one who decided, based entirely on politics, as the FAL ( T-48) out performed the pre adoption M-14 ( T-44) rifle by a pretty wide margin! Plus, Springfield LIED in claiming it was built on the M-1 Garands tooling and production costs would be much lower, patently false!

Some ordnance chief of the army was the one who decided, based entirely on politics, as the FAL ( T-48) out performed the pre adoption M-14 ( T-44) rifle by a pretty wide margin! Plus, Springfield LIED in claiming it was built on the M-1 Garands tooling and production costs would be much lower, patently false!
Wait....
Are you saying that "personal / political bias" and false data ain't a new thing...
As well as someone lied for potential gain ...? :eek: :D
Andy

Especially in larger calibers.

Back before my hands went really bad, I bought one of those Ruger LCP's because it was cheap. I didn't have it long. I need to have a gun that I can hold onto and doesn't hurt to shoot. Although it was a repeater, it was Derringer-like.

The other day, I saw a High Standard DM 101 in a pawn shop. I've been around guns for a long time, this was another one that I seemed to have missed over the years. The basic D-101 was .22 LR; the DM-101 which they came out with a bit later (1968?) was .22 Magnum. I suppose if you're gonna have a Derringer-type, .22 LR or .22 Mag would make more sense than, say, a .357 Magnum. Maybe in the olden days, a .41 Rem. rimfire didn't have all that much steam and was relatively controllable.

Oh, the High Standard DM-101 had the forward part of the trigger guard absent, as I jokingly referred to in my post above.

Those little North American mini-Derringers I could never understand.
I love the North American Arms minis. I also have a Bond Arms Derringer in well, quite a few calibers. The .410 is the most fun though.

pfffttt... A lot of opinion but no facts. Having owned and used the FAL, Garand, M1A, and a few others, I can say that NEITHER is "unreliable" or "inferior". The rejection of the FAL had more to do with "Not made here" than being "scared". And it wasnt "boomers", BTW, it was our parents. Many of us DID like the M14 in RVN, where it was effective and hard-hitting, especially in the jungle. It just wasnt up to competition with the AK. The snafu regarding the intro of the M16- which got guys killed- did a lot to cement the reputation of the M14 in the minds of many who used it.
The reason shooters pay for them is they are accurate and readily accessorized, and configured like a "traditional" rifle... The FAL, while the "Right Arm Of The Free World", not so much. "Twice what they should sell for"- that is a personal judgement call. If you don't want one, don't buy one. No skin off anyone if you don't... I suspect that you have no real hands on experience with either rifle, and furthermore, issues with "boomers".
I think you misunderstand. For a lot of younger people, my kids included, "boomer" is not a reference to the Baby-Boomer generation, but rather a term of derision for anyone "old".

My kids don't use the term except is jest, because they're being raised to be respectful and polite.

And yeah, I agree with you guys who say that the main reason for the adoption of the M14 was the "Made in the USA" part. The rest of the free world went with the FAL/L1A1.

I've seen a YouTube video on how terrible and worthless the M14 supposedly was; it seemed a bit sensationalistic/clickbait. The M14 wasn't a "bad" rifle, just maybe not the "best".

I'm a big fan of the M1 Garand, own several. They're still an excellent rifle and were the right tool for the job at the time, but I don't have any illusions about them comparing favorably with more modern designs.

I think you misunderstand. For a lot of younger people, my kids included, "boomer" is not a reference to the Baby-Boomer generation, but rather a term of derision for anyone "old".

My kids don't use the term except is jest, because they're being raised to be respectful and polite.
Ok boomer :s0140:

And yeah, I agree with you guys who say that the main reason for the adoption of the M14 was the "Made in the USA" part. The rest of the free world went with the FAL/L1A1.

I've seen a YouTube video on how terrible and worthless the M14 supposedly was; it seemed a bit sensationalistic/clickbait. The M14 wasn't a "bad" rifle, just maybe not the "best".

I'm a big fan of the M1 Garand, own several. They're still an excellent rifle and were the right tool for the job at the time, but I don't have any illusions about them comparing favorably with more modern designs.
Said it better than I ever could

Yeah, That KGB Rectal pistol is a bit uncomfortable and smells funny.
During WW2, there were German belt buckle guns. I've seen a two barrel, I think it was .32 ACP, and a four barrel which was a .22 LR. There may have been a .25 ACP version as well, it seems to me. A German invented them in WW1, and the SS liked the idea in WW2 but I don't think many were actually issued and used. They are very valuable now, but for this reason I'd think that probably fakes exist. A guy offered to sell me one in the 1970's, but there were issues with its provenance; it had been stolen from a museum so I didn't get it. As I recall, the buckle was in the form of an SS enlisted man's type.

During WW2, there were German belt buckle guns. I've seen a two barrel, I think it was .32 ACP, and a four barrel which was a .22 LR. There may have been a .25 ACP version as well, it seems to me. A German invented them in WW1, and the SS liked the idea in WW2 but I don't think many were actually issued and used. They are very valuable now, but for this reason I'd think that probably fakes exist. A guy offered to sell me one in the 1970's, but there were issues with its provenance; it had been stolen from a museum so I didn't get it. As I recall, the buckle was in the form of an SS enlisted man's type.

Said it better than I ever could
This is boomer

1702A4DF-B1D2-4A91-8C98-31FEB5CDA723.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR