JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I ran into an issue I have not experienced before. Mounting the 10 or so scopes in my collection. I have usually used Vortex, Warne or Night Force rings. A friend of mine gave me a package of new unused Leupold Back Country 34mm I was mounting on my RPR picatinny. Low and behold, they were loose on the rail after tightening to spec. I attached a few other rings on there and they worked fine. Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?
Now you know why he gave them to you....
Not really, well.....
In all seriousness, Leupold makes nice stuff. Really odd it doesn't fit a pic rail.
I would check these rings on a different pic rail... to rule out the rail being under spec.

If the rings are bad, send them back to Leupold, they have a great warranty on their stuff and will replace them for free.

Try flipping the little clamp thingy the screw goes through over? This is how some mounts work on both Pic and Weaver style rails.

Try flipping the little clamp thingy the screw goes through over? This is how some mounts work on both Pic and Weaver style rails.
It is either this or you have some fouling in the clamp somewhere. What happens if you over torque it (obviously don't strip the screws)? does it hold better?

Good tip. Clamp orientation would be critical on these rings.

1705789661177.png

Ya can't flip over. You can tell there is no space between the clamp and the ring. They are solid together at 25 in/lbs. Two other sets of rings worked fine. Just seems like the rings are out of spec but don't have a caliper to compare. My set of Vortex PMR's are great so I'm going with those. Was just thinking that maybe someone on the forum has run into this before.

They are solid together at 25 in/lbs. Two other sets of rings worked fine. Just seems like the rings are out of spec but don't have a caliper to compare.
I still find it odd that Leupold rings would be out of spec.
If you have time maybe post a closeup pic of them on the pic rail?

If they dont work send them in, Leupold will replace them for free.

Here are some pic rail measurements:

RPR 0.61
BLK 0.62
SOCOM 0.64
Beowulf 0.62

So it seems to me that the Leupold Picatinny rings should fit all these rails. If it slides easily at 0.61, it's still not going to be tight enough at 0.64.

Here are some pic rail measurements:

RPR 0.61
BLK 0.62
SOCOM 0.64
Beowulf 0.62

So it seems to me that the Leupold Picatinny rings should fit all these rails. If it slides easily at 0.61, it's still not going to be tight enough at 0.64.
A pic rail should measure .830 across..

20240125_175633.jpg

Send them to Leupold and they will replace them with good ones. Leupold rings are [usually] good stuff.
Gave them back to the guy who gave them to me. Told him to return them. I know Leupold is a good product but 4 of my 8 mounted scopes use Vortex. I will continue with Vortex.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top