JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
FORTRAN?
SO, you programmed using punch cards? :confused:
Let me say that I tried programming with punch cards...

The final straw was struggling my way across the VA Tech drill field from my dorm to the admin building (where the mainframe resided) at about 2 AM on a brutally cold, snowy, windy (yea, verily, howling) early-November morning, and accidentally dropping the stack of punch cards. The rubber band that I had employed to basically keep my life together was not up to the task, and I watched in abject fury and silent shock and sadness as about a thousand punch cards flew away on the wind into the snowy darkness. There was nothing to be done but turn around, head back to the dorm, and go back to sleep. I packed up my crap within the next day or two, quit school, got on my motorcycle, left town, and rode around the country for about a year. I never even made it to Thanksgiving break... :s0140:

I came back to VA Tech about 4 years later and started over. FYI, there's an entire other story there, basically being forced to write an essay and explain to the Dean of Registrations why he should let me back in after I had told him "I ain't ever comin' back to this phuq'n place again!" 4 years earlier when he tried his damnedest to keep me from quitting the first time - not my most shining moment, to be sure...

Anyway, that's when I took FORTRAN the next 6 times. :rolleyes: At least by then, 4 years later, we were out of the punch card scene and I was in the first-ever class at Tech that required entering freshman to purchase their own private PC in order to be registered in the engineering college. Anyway, not only did I have to repeat every class that I had quit (and as a result, failed), I still had to take that damned FORTRAN class. And all the classes I had quit got averaged into my GPA as zeroes. So, I started with 15 hours of zeroes for a fabulous starting GPA of 0.0 and had to work up, while all the incoming freshman started at 4.0 and were working down. That was pretty disheartening, but I got at it, stuck with it, pulled through, and ultimately graduated with a 3.68 in major, which was all that really mattered. IDGAFF what my overall GPA was, cuz triple integrals and FORTRAN were not civil engineering courses and I never used either one of them ever again in my entire phuq'n life, even to this very day...

Last Edited:
I found COBOL to be my nemesis in college, seeing my major was computer science, didn't really have a choice. But I was the proud owner of the greatest number of COBOL compiler errors in a single program. Amazing what just one missed period can do.

The core program was only about 25-30 pages, printed out (remember greenbar). But it generated 10X that number of pages of compiler errors.

Fun days for sure.

I found COBOL to be my nemesis in college, seeing my major was computer science, didn't really have a choice. But I was the proud owner of the greatest number of COBOL compiler errors in a single program. Amazing what just one missed period can do.

The core program was only about 25-30 pages, printed out (remember greenbar). But it generated 10X that number of pages of compiler errors.

Fun days for sure.
My first job after college was programming in MICROBOL. Part COBOL, mostly assembler language. o_O:(:eek:

Don't even get me started about FORTRAN!!! Damn shiit almost kept me from graduating... 7 phuq'n times! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Failed it once on my first try at college...
Failed it again on my second try, and went into the out-of-sequence route...
Dropped it 4 more times when it became clear each time that I wasn't going to pass it...
Finally reached a "creative solution" with my prof in the final exam of my final quarter that let me squeak by with not too shabby of an outcome...

@Flopsweat, @solv3nt, @Xaevian, and a few others here will tell you how much I hate trying to make computers/software do what they're s'posed to do when they won't actually do it. I hate that kinda shiit with a burning passion. That damned FORTRAN class all those decades ago was the genesis of my seething hatred of computers and software that don't work when they're s'posed to. Ol' Floppy trying to talk me through getting on a Friday night, alcohol-infused, Teams meeting with the other guys woulda made a for a riotous half-hour Candid Camera-style comedy show. They all laughed at me to no end... :rolleyes:

Final comment:
I have never, not even once, used FORTRAN since graduating college. Totally and completely worthless and clearly not worth all the stress and aggravation...
Can attest. @sobo is one of the most intelligent people I know - I say that unironically - but he couldn't code his way out of a paper bag in BASIC if you gave him the first three lines. And it's a four line program. :rolleyes:

Love ya buddy. :s0140:

The answer is to split WA and OR and let the two Sane half's join as one state and the two insane half's join as one state and get rid of the other half of those troublesome police and kill themselves off.

Finger01.png
Quite simply, that would be a "no"...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews