JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yep. Fantastic series of bolt guns. I was kind of surprised when I saw someone knocking it. What was better at the time?
During that time, you had to go to Europe to get anywhere near that quality and accuracy, Steyr, FN, Sako/Tikka, ect. Nothing here in the States could touch Big Green unless you had lots and lots of money to throw at custom shops.

During that time, you had to go to Europe to get anywhere near that quality and accuracy, Steyr, FN, Sako/Tikka, ect. Nothing here in the States could touch Big Green unless you had lots and lots of money to throw at custom shops.
I kind of disagree - Sears was selling a commercial fn mauser sporter under the JC Higgins rifle brand with a quality barrel for less than Remington. The only problem was you had to choose a 30-06 or 270.

Rem 700. Why the love for that rifle?
One word: Accuracy

I don't have a Model 700, but I do have a couple of 721's and a 722, as well an a early Model 7 in .243 that is so slick and nice and shoots like a dream!

People tend to overlook those old 721s and 722s, but they are pretty good rifles!
I had a 721 (30.06) that I bought used about 2000 for $200. It wasn't fancy but it was super clean and shot super tight groups. Wish I hadn't sold it but I'm not a hunter and couldn't justify the cost of 30.06 ammo for plinking.

Now to the topic of the thread - AK pistols. You can't hit the broad side of a barn at 10 feet and they are LOUD - will defeat any hearing protection. I guess the noise may frighten the target to death.

Yep. Fantastic series of bolt guns. I was kind of surprised when I saw someone knocking it. What was better at the time?
This ^^^
I think it took the industry from the Mauser era to the modern bolt action era.
Ease of manufacture
Round action, easy to accurize
Out-of-the-box accuracy
Fast lock time
Strong action - "three rings of steel"
60 year old design that hasn't been changed - new crop of 700's to have Timney triggers and 5R barrels
I think it's also the nicest looking bolt action - take a look at a Savage 110 and then look at a 700

For those reasons and maybe some I missed, the Rem 700 design is the basis for almost all custom actions.
Big Green (Mike Walker) nailed it back in 1962

In keeping with thread theme, Mini-14 although its heyday is over.

Last Edited:
quote-when-there-s-no-more-room-in-hell-the-dead-will-walk-the-earth-george-a-romero-61-17-23.jpg

We just jumped from July 2020 to July 2023. Nominate for the oldest thread bump?
I'm pretty sure I've seen some necro-threads here resurrected around ~10 years later. Can't remember which threads they were, but they're typically resurrected by new members as they come across old threads that we've already beaten to death. That seems to be the norm...

Last Edited:
Having owned 2 , and currently owning 2 mossberg pump .410s ( one is a shockwave) the pump gun makes way more sense than the revolver.
The judge is definitely a fun range toy tho.
It lives in the end table drawer next to my spot on the couch. Pretty handy, for those close encounters. Stay frosty... ;)

full.gif

1911's in nine mil.
I've got one and I won't condemn you for not liking them. The main reason I have one, I developed peripheral neuropathy, I cannot hang onto a handgun like I used to. It got to where when I would shoot my 1911's in .45 or 10mm, I could no longer hold onto them properly under recoil. I'd fire off a shot, the gun would recoil in my hand, then go forward and the inside of the trigger guard would bounce off my finger, whereupon my finger would be forced back onto the trigger. I was getting an unwanted double tap. Which I decided was dangerous. It doesn't happen with the 9mm, I'm happy to say.

Also, I've got two other 9mm's (Walther P.38, Glock 19), so when I down-sized it made sense to keep the 9mm Colt rather than the .38 Supers. Those went away with the .45's and 10's.

Then there is the arthritis issue. When my fingers get so grotesque and fat that they won't fit into a trigger guard, I'm screwed no matter what cartridge. Wait a minnit, maybe at that point, I can look around for one of those revolvers where Bubba has cut away the front of the trigger guard. Come to think of it, there was a police armorer who was pretty famous for doing that for NYPD officers.

Least favorite 1911 I ever owned, Colt Lightweight Commander. I had a couple of those on different occasions, I called them anti-aircraft guns, because I couldn't shoot them well even when I had good hands.

derringers.
Especially in larger calibers.

Back before my hands went really bad, I bought one of those Ruger LCP's because it was cheap. I didn't have it long. I need to have a gun that I can hold onto and doesn't hurt to shoot. Although it was a repeater, it was Derringer-like.

The other day, I saw a High Standard DM 101 in a pawn shop. I've been around guns for a long time, this was another one that I seemed to have missed over the years. The basic D-101 was .22 LR; the DM-101 which they came out with a bit later (1968?) was .22 Magnum. I suppose if you're gonna have a Derringer-type, .22 LR or .22 Mag would make more sense than, say, a .357 Magnum. Maybe in the olden days, a .41 Rem. rimfire didn't have all that much steam and was relatively controllable.

Oh, the High Standard DM-101 had the forward part of the trigger guard absent, as I jokingly referred to in my post above.

Those little North American mini-Derringers I could never understand.

I'm pretty sure I've seen some necro-threads here resurrected around ~10 years later. Can't remember which threads they were, but they're typically resurrected by new members as they come across old threads that we've already beaten to death. That seems to be the norm...
Just smile and wave - your memory hasn't gotten so bad that you forgot what it's like to be new, right? They're experiencing something fresh for which you've only got nostalgia.

Or just not realizing the site's wonky "suggested threads" feature is … wonky.
KRISS Vector. I never understood the popularity.
Because a suppressed SMG in .45ACP is always cool. Takes a couple tax stamps to get to where you need to go with one…but still. One is on my gun bucket list.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top