JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
YouTube has emboldened a lot of people and made me a lot of customers reassembling bag o' gun...

I remember gunsmiths telling of the amount of disassembled guns brought in bags and boxes needing reassembling years before computers were common. No doubt youTube has helped your business!

The price of reassembly is directly proportional to the arrogance of the customer at the counter.

Be contrite, admit you screwed up, perhaps bolster the gunsmiths ego just a bit, and they'll likely take pity on you.

I just finished up doing a trigger job on a Browning Lever action...
Not my first, but I learned to mark the gear..Or else your sitting in the chair at the bench for 3 hours cussing...Why oh why didn't I mark that damn thing?

You know how many times I have heard "oh yah all the parts are there"? And then I am up late finding and ordering all the missing parts!
Every week I bet!

Last Edited:
Wasn't being an a$$ and you need to lighten up quite a bit.
What I said was a true statement. They are a simple gun to deal with, once you know the few nuances of them. There are a few tricks to deal with. Decent literature is often very helpful.
I once bought a Remington Autoloading Rifle. (what they were called before they were named the Model 8) It was an antique gun and I was a little uncertain as to what parts it had and how it should go together. (how was I to know how many people had torn it down and put it together incorrectly?) I spent less than $30 on a book that covers many rifles. Besides the reloading manuals I have, it was some of the best money I've spent.

Or, check out You Tube. There's many videos that may save you a headache.

Maybe next time, before you call names, you could ask for help. There's lots of help available here. Heck, I'd even tear my SKS down just to see if I could answer a question. But not if you piss me off first.
x2 easy gun to strip

Hey man lighten up. The SKS is pretty simple and sometimes the typed word can come off more harsh than intended.

Besides Orygun is like really really old. Really old. Like over 55 old. He types with 1 finger and even that has arthritis in it. (He sold me a holster once and is a very cool guy)
This thread is like really really old.
You know that comment was over 3 years ago?

For it's dimunitive size; With no assembly manual/instructions, do any of you know how many small/loose plates, standoffs, pins, springs, and half-moon clips there are, and how they go together in a Glennfield Mod.60?.... I do... Whoa! :s0131:

+1 on the glenfield!
My stepdad gave me one that was so chunked up with 40 year old gunk that it wouldn't cycle. I broke it down the the last spring and scraped it clean.

I see why he gave it away.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

+1 on the glenfield!
My stepdad gave me one that was so chunked up with 40 year old gunk that it wouldn't cycle. I broke it down the the last spring and scraped it clean.

I see why he gave it away.

View attachment 285200 View attachment 285201 View attachment 285202 View attachment 285203

Give away a little gunsmith secret? The Marlin model 60 side plate assembly is more trouble than it's worth. If it doesn't have an broken parts (and I've rarely seen anything other than the plastic block at the back broken), keep the assembly together and spray it out with a can of NC brake cleaner or use an ultrasonic cleaner if you have one.

My hourly rate as a gunsmith is $50/hour or $90/hour if I have to machine. A new action side plate assembly can be had for about $40 on eBay. I've had them apart to pins and springs, and most the time it isn't worth the time, unless it's mine, in which case I'm not paying myself for labor...

A buddy of mine asked if I would take a look at his dad's old 94 and I said sure... I had no idea that it was coming to me in a box, entirely disassembled except for the barrel:eek:
The rifle was in pretty good shape, but he received it after his pops died and figured he should clean it! Damn.
It took plenty of blood sweat and tears, but I handed him back his dad's old rifle in working order.
His eyes lit up and he was grinning ear to ear when he asked what he owed me?
I just shook my head and told him
"Nothing today, but one day I may come to you with a request,
And on that day you can notta refuse me":cool:
That 94 in parts was my toughest wrestling match to date.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top