JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had to add a small base due for my AR rounds. I tried to avoid it and spent hours dicking around adjusting the full length Hornady die. Eventually I caved, and had the RCBS small base die in station 4, after the deprime, size, and trim stations That was many years ago and it's been trouble free ever since in all my ARs.

Military brass, such as LC, is thicker and softer than commercial. Thus, it will produce slightly higher pressures, having less case capacity. As well, it expands more easily upon firing, but does not shrink back like commerical. Military brass is not formulated for reloading.

Well then theres your problem. Your brass cant go more than 1.760" max.
Probably a pressure safety issue along with extraction...?

IMG_2395.jpeg

Well gents I ended up getting another resizing die. And that seems to have fixed the issue. I'm thinking it was a shoulder issue as most have mentioned earlier. Also I measured the shoulder on those rounds and it was slightly out of spec. Thanks everyone for the replies.

Yes I do didn't think to use it, as these were just plinking loads. Didn't spend a lot of time and detail like I do for my hunting loads.
My recommendation, after making millions of 223/5.56 rounds...is to have both a case gauge which checks headspace, and a chamber gauge which checks the overall dimension of the round

The chamber gauge is a SAMMI spec chamber in a block, and will give instant feedback to the loader if the round is in spec to chamber...will let you know immediately if the size die is adjusted properly, if the neck is sized properly, and case mouth is in proper diameter etc.

My recommendation, after making millions of 223/5.56 rounds...is to have both a case gauge which checks headspace, and a chamber gauge which checks the overall dimension of the round

The chamber gauge is a SAMMI spec chamber in a block, and will give instant feedback to the loader if the round is in spec to chamber...will let you know immediately if the size die is adjusted properly, if the neck is sized properly, and case mouth is in proper diameter etc.
Sound advice appreciate it, I have a case gauge but ordering the chamber gauge as well. Thanks!

Sound advice appreciate it, I have a case gauge but ordering the chamber gauge as well. Thanks!
There's two companies that make top quality chamber checker gauges.

OnPoint is good, but they are hard to get as they make limited runs of their blocks.

Every round we make gets checked by these chamber gauges to ensure they will function...a bit labor intensive, but well worth it.

20231004_132507.jpg

Appreciate the advice in this thread. I was also wondering if I needed a case gauge or a chamber gauge, but for 300 BO. Will be checking all trimmed and sized cases with a chamber gauge vs case gauge both before priming and after loading.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews