JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
100rnds of 10mm 180grn Plated Berry's. 6.3grn Win244 on the Dillon Square Deal B.

View attachment 1432258
Looking at Hodgdons data, 6.1 is start load for 180 (6.1 to 6.8) & gives 1096fps.

What are you seeing for velocity at 6.3 with your loads?

Edit adding hodgdons 180gr = 180 GR. ACME FP-NLG CTD. So a coated lead?? Dunno if I can *assume* similar to a berrys, but IIRC similar enough data wise???

There other 180gr listing is a 180 GR. SIE JHC, whatever the heck that projectile is. A jackets hollow cone-"maybe"? Which has a lower starting load for W244. at 5.5gr to 6.5gr max.

Last Edited:
I decided to make up a .223 load development for my LD AR with Hornady match bullets in 52 grain BTHP, CCI400 primers, CFE223 and LC .223 brass.
The barrel is a 1/7 twist so it will be interesting to see how these light bullets shoot.

5AF08031-8A3D-4CEC-9326-495AD0439D17.jpeg

Looking at Hodgdons data, 6.1 is start load for 180 (6.1 to 6.8) & gives 1096fps.

What are you seeing for velocity at 6.3 with your loads?

Edit adding hodgdons 180gr = 180 GR. ACME FP-NLG CTD. So a coated lead?? Dunno if I can *assume* similar to a berrys, but IIRC similar enough data wise???

There other 180gr listing is a 180 GR. SIE JHC, whatever the heck that projectile is. A jackets hollow cone-"maybe"? Which has a lower starting load for W244. at 5.5gr to 6.5gr max.
You're thinking exactly how I was thinking when I settled on 6.3.grns.

The berry's is not as soft as a lead projo, or as hard as a jacketed one. So I landed between both without hitting max load of either.

I haven't chrono'd this load, but it's on par with factory plinker loads in recoil. Accuracy is good.

I was launching brass from Oregon to Alaska in my 10mm 1911 before I upped the recoil spring to 23lbs and added a wilson combat buffer.

Now it has a 30 foot impact range, usually into tall grass and camouflaged rocks meaning I lose 20% of my brass each range trip.

You're thinking exactly how I was thinking when I settled on 6.3.grns.

The berry's is not as soft as a lead projo, or as hard as a jacketed one. So I landed between both without hitting max load of either.

I haven't chrono'd this load, but it's on par with factory plinker loads in recoil. Accuracy is good.

I was launching brass from Oregon to Alaska in my 10mm 1911 before I upped the recoil spring to 23lbs and added a wilson combat buffer.

Now it has a 30 foot impact range, usually into tall grass and camouflaged rocks meaning I lose 20% of my brass each range trip.
I setup a Tarp catch to try and avoid that with my hard to find brass, plus makes cleanup easier.

What did you reload today?
I thought about getting into reloading, seems like a fine hobby. But about every "ooops" I ever see has to do with those that have.

I guess I don't have enough confidence in my ability over factory loads.

That and some ranges don't allow reloads.

I guess I'd rather spend more per round than risk my own insecurities.

I thought about getting into reloading, seems like a fine hobby. But about every "ooops" I ever see has to do with those that have.

You have to be able to.. look, a squirrel!

It's really pretty simple like most things.

Reloading is not for everyone, just like working on your own vehicles or fixing your own roof isn't for everyone.

Not everyone has the time or interest to make it worthwhile, and it does take focus and attention to detail.

If you're mechanically inclined, with good focus and attention to details, and have the time for another hobby, I'd say go for it, but if you feel that it's not for you, you may be right, and there's nothing wrong with just buying your ammo.

If all I shot was common stuff like 9mm and 223, I probably wouldn't bother reloading, but when I see store prices for the stuff I do shoot, like 44 mag, 45-70, and even 30-06, it makes me glad that I do. The M1 ammo in my previous post probably cost me about 15 cents per round to load, but only because I bought the components about 15 years ago.

Reloading is not for everyone, just like working on your own vehicles or fixing your own roof isn't for everyone.

Not everyone has the time or interest to make it worthwhile, and it does take focus and attention to detail.

If you're mechanically inclined, with good focus and attention to details, and have the time for another hobby, I'd say go for it, but if you feel that it's not for you, you may be right, and there's nothing wrong with just buying your ammo.

If all I shot was common stuff like 9mm and 223, I probably wouldn't bother reloading, but when I see store prices for the stuff I do shoot, like 44 mag, 45-70, and even 30-06, it makes me glad that I do. The M1 ammo in my previous post probably cost me about 15 cents per round to load, but only because I bought the components about 15 years ago.
Spot on, couldn't have said it better.

I just got a call from a friend, asking about 44 Special ammo. He said he shot some in his Model 29 and really enjoyed it because it was so much more pleasant than his regular magnums.

I told him sure enough, I'll put together a couple boxes for him (in magnum brass since that's what I have). 44 Special is definitely one of those that's worth reloading.

And before any of you all get worked up over me reloading for someone else, this guy is my oldest friend in the world. We've been friends for nearly a half-century. I'm not selling anything, nor am I concerned about liability. There's very, very few people I will give my reloads to, and he's top of the list.

I just got a call from a friend, asking about 44 Special ammo. He said he shot some in his Model 29 and really enjoyed it because it was so much more pleasant than his regular magnums.

I told him sure enough, I'll put together a couple boxes for him (in magnum brass since that's what I have). 44 Special is definitely one of those that's worth reloading.

And before any of you all get worked up over me reloading for someone else, this guy is my oldest friend in the world. We've been friends for nearly a half-century. I'm not selling anything, nor am I concerned about liability. There's very, very few people I will give my reloads to, and he's top of the list.
Yeah, I really enjoy shooting .44 Special in my S&W 629 Classic. I bought some .44 Special ammo with wadcutters from @oremike and it shot like a dream. I got some more from him and also ordered a bunch of brass from Starline and started making my own loads with Nosler JHP bullets.

Like you, I've done a small amount of reloading for select friends. I just have a single stage press and am pretty careful, so I don't really lose a lot of sleep pondering the possibilities of things going wrong. I'm also not a "push the limits" guy as far as loading either.

Sorted a 5 gallon bucket of range brass that I've been dumping into for a few months.

Pretty happy with the turnout and variety.

1 gallon of 5.56 brass.
1/2 gallon of 300blk brass.
500 10mm brass.
~100 nickel 40sw.
~200 brass 40sw.
2 gallons of mixed 9mm.
1 piece of 30 carbine brass.

Screenshot_20230605_184752_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230605_184806_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230605_184800_Gallery.jpg

Like you, I've done a small amount of reloading for select friends. I just have a single stage press and am pretty careful, so I don't really lose a lot of sleep pondering the possibilities of things going wrong. I'm also not a "push the limits" guy as far as loading either.
I pay close attention when loading, even with a progressive press, and never lose sight of the details. I don't push the limits anymore either, not like I used to (though I never really pushed them that far). I let my wife and kids shoot my ammo, and their safety is paramount, much more important than any legal liability.

The older I get, the more my mind seems to envision the what-ifs, the consequences of a mistake. It drives me nuts sometimes. For example, I was recently in Port Orford with my boys, climbing up on Battle Rock. When I was young, I would practically run up and down that thing, but now I'm overly careful with my sons. The thought kept going through my mind, what if one of them tripped; he would hit his head on the rock and fall into the surf. :eek: I probably need to do stuff like that with them more often so they'll be more confident and sure-footed.

I hate the horrible what-ifs sometimes, but they sure have reinforced gun safety for me, with my kids. Being around guns and gun people for several decades, I've heard too many real-life gun accident horror stories. I will do absolutely everything in my power to make sure nothing like that ever happens to my family.

I pay close attention when loading, even with a progressive press, and never lose sight of the details. I don't push the limits anymore either, not like I used to (though I never really pushed them that far). I let my wife and kids shoot my ammo, and their safety is paramount, much more important than any legal liability.

The older I get, the more my mind seems to envision the what-ifs, the consequences of a mistake. It drives me nuts sometimes. For example, I was recently in Port Orford with my boys, climbing up on Battle Rock. When I was young, I would practically run up and down that thing, but now I'm overly careful with my sons. The thought kept going through my mind, what if one of them tripped; he would hit his head on the rock and fall into the surf. :eek: I probably need to do stuff like that with them more often so they'll be more confident and sure-footed.

I hate the horrible what-ifs sometimes, but they sure have reinforced gun safety for me, with my kids. Being around guns and gun people for several decades, I've heard too many real-life gun accident horror stories. I will do absolutely everything in my power to make sure nothing like that ever happens to my family.
Yes but did you get Fish and Chips at the Crazy Norwegian?

Yes but did you get Fish and Chips at the Crazy Norwegian?
No, unfortunately we were on our way to meet friends in Bandon, to eat dinner there. I did look as we drove by, and I remember thinking that we need to stop there next time!

The trip over the mountain to Agness and down to Gold Beach was a lot of fun, made some good memories with my boys.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top