JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
305 grains of lehigh extreme penetrating love.:eek: These may become my bear country 45/70 loads after a thorough vetting. They look mean as hell.
401C3481-3A6E-4806-8BAD-900BB54DC7A3.jpeg 291684BC-E8BC-4A18-B825-56371DBB5DE6.jpeg

Well after this last two weeks of brass prep marathon that we've been going through, we have decided that the Lyman power trimmer is going into the cabinet for a long hiatus or until we get a different caliber that were needing to trim.

The WFT may also be going into the cabinet and the reason being is to save time with chamfering the inside and outside of the cases after trimming.
My friend and I were discussing this today as far as how much time we could save if we didn't have to get on the Lyman case prep center as much.
So after careful deliberation and Internet frenzy turned up the Trim It II, this bad boy trims and chamfers both inside and out like the Girard Triway trimmer. The kicker is that it comes with two caliber insert and you can purchase others.

Ole Caveman needs to think about the coming days where ease of use while reloading will be a godsend.;)

Looking thru some old threads, I just finished some plinking rounds for my .44 mag s/a and some .44mag hunting rounds for my Super Redhawk!! Does anyone have any load experience with 185 gr. In 44 mag?? I have a box of jackets to try out!!

Well after this last two weeks of brass prep marathon that we've been going through, we have decided that the Lyman power trimmer is going into the cabinet for a long hiatus or until we get a different caliber that were needing to trim.

The WFT may also be going into the cabinet and the reason being is to save time with chamfering the inside and outside of the cases after trimming.
My friend and I were discussing this today as far as how much time we could save if we didn't have to get on the Lyman case prep center as much.
So after careful deliberation and Internet frenzy turned up the Trim It II, this bad boy trims and chamfers both inside and out like the Girard Triway trimmer. The kicker is that it comes with two caliber insert and you can purchase others.

Ole Caveman needs to think about the coming days where ease of use while reloading will be a godsend.;)
Check out the RCBS Trim Pro 3-way cutters. Quite a bit cheaper than the Giraud's and I have had excellent luck with them. A little more versatile as well since you only need to buy one per bullet diameter while the Giraud's seem somewhat caliber-specific.

To cut down on brass prep time I use rcbs x dies for my higher volume rifle brass (308, 223). This basically keeps brass from growing and the need for subsequent trimming. I also use rcbs three way trimmer heads for most of the calibers I load for. I do worry about where the extra brass is actually going with the x dies but so far no problems have manifested. All the single step prep really wreaked havoc with the arthritis in my hands so I had to change my ways a bit. On a side note, I talked to my biologist friend with the wdfw and he said no sock season on Baker Lk is scheduled due to low run forecast this year. He did say if the run somehow came in above projections, an in season change could occur, allowing for a fishery. Hope all is well Jim, I will keep you in the loop.

Last Edited:
To cut down on brass prep time I use rcbs x dies for my higher volume rifle brass (308, 223). This basically keeps brass from growing and the need for subsequent trimming. I also use rcbs three way trimmer heads for most of the calibers I load for. I do worry about where the extra brass is actually going with the x dies but so far no problems have manifested. All the single step prep really wreaked havoc with the arthritis in my hands so I had to change my ways a bit. On a side note, I talked to my biologist friend with the wdfw and he said no sock season on Baker Lk is scheduled due to low run forecast this year. He did say if the run somehow came in above projections, an in season change could occur, allowing for a fishery. Hope all is well Jim, I will keep you in the loop.

I too have arthritis in my hands and what really helps me is wearing gloves to help with the GOD (grip of death). Without them I cannot squeeze hard enough to hold tension while they're in the trimmer.
I have just acquired Another worlds finest trimmer, this one is in 300AACBLK. It is used but I'll tell you what this thing flat cut perfectly without the excess force that is needed on the Lyman trimmer. When I take it to the Lyman case prep Super Center I only have to put a slight chamfer on the inside of the case mouth there was no need to do the outside it's just smooth as a babies butt.

Yeah it's par for the course anymore and it's almost caused to put a for sale sign on my boat. I'd really hate to do that but I know enough people that own boats that will take me fishing. LOL;)

In the last two days I've prepped 300) 300BLK cases and converted 100+ 223/556 cases into 300BLK.
I haven't been feeling optimal this last week...
View attachment 691891
Been working on resizing 300 brass tonight myself. All of it fit case guage post resizing with no re-trmming needed.. Love it..
I have a little crow but haven't used it yet. Is it going to make me love it when I do?

With "carry" rounds like that, I'll lacquer the primer and case mouth if belled just prior to seating/removing bell.
Prolly a good idea but I have never had any problems carrying reloaded ammo this way on all my hunting rifles with no sealing. Now that I said that I am sure it will happen, lol. Interesting note, all the lehigh extreme penetrator rounds I have loaded in three different calibers did not need any case mouth belling to fit properly. Neck tension and seating works perfect with no belling.

Last Edited:
I finally loaded my first shouldered rounds to take to the range Friday. Made up 20 .30-06 rounds for the Garand with H4895. Using 150gr Sierra Matchkings. Loaded 5 each at 42, 44, 45, up to the max of 46 grains shown in the Speer 14 book. I noticed lesser recoil at the beginning and up to .46 grains. Recoil seemed to be getting close to what I got from the PPU "For Garand" factory stuff. And ejection was mostly foreward for the lower weights and moved to 905 right at th upper loads. So hard for me to see the red dot, even setting it at 75 yards. I thought groups were fine. Was looking at 3" for three out of the five with the two lighter loads.

Rolling my own rifle rounds is more of a rush than straight wall hand gun!

Prepped 50 cases of 6.5 Swede BJAI.
Loaded another 50 cases of 6.5x55 for fire forming.

Did another seventy of 6.5x55 Swede to fire form the brass.

I'm looking to prep and load some for the Swede. (I need to find the 6.55 pilot for the trimmer first though :()
What powders do you like, and why. I have IMR 4064 and H4895 which I'm sure I've seen data for in my books. Any peculiarities with 6.5 Swede? Looks to me pretty similar to loading .30-06 for the most part.

Prolly a good idea but I have never had any problems carrying reloaded ammo this way on all my hunting rifles with no sealing. Now that I said that I am sure it will happen, lol. Interesting note, all the lehigh extreme penetrator rounds I have loaded in three different calibers did not need any case mouth belling to fit properly. Neck tension and seating works perfect with no belling.
I hear you. I only do it to real keepers and only do the mouth if its been belled a bit.
I wonder how they seal NATO mouths.. I doubt they bell?

I finally loaded my first shouldered rounds to take to the range Friday. Made up 20 .30-06 rounds for the Garand with H4895. Using 150gr Sierra Matchkings. Loaded 5 each at 42, 44, 45, up to the max of 46 grains shown in the Speer 14 book. I noticed lesser recoil at the beginning and up to .46 grains. Recoil seemed to be getting close to what I got from the PPU "For Garand" factory stuff. And ejection was mostly foreward for the lower weights and moved to 905 right at th upper loads. So hard for me to see the red dot, even setting it at 75 yards. I thought groups were fine. Was looking at 3" for three out of the five with the two lighter loads.

Rolling my own rifle rounds is more of a rush than straight wall hand gun! :)

I'm looking to prep and load some for the Swede. (I need to find the 6.55 pilot for the trimmer first though :()
What powders do you like, and why. I have IMR 4064 and H4895 which I'm sure I've seen data for in my books. Any peculiarities with 6.5 Swede? Looks to me pretty similar to loading .30-06 for the most part.
I never bothered trimming any of my Swede brass yet. Had both my Swedes Ackley improved, so my loading data no longer is valid. In addition, I didn't shoot them long enough as Swedes to develop a pet load. The first rifle was dangerous from the day I bought it from another member here, so off to @Velzey it went. He did a fantastic job, and I liked it so much I had the 2nd rifle converted too.
I used N550 and IMR4350. I have a pound of AA4350 you're welcome to have to try. I'm using the slower powders for the heavier 140gr pills. The 130's and lower I was going to use in the Grendel.
IIRC, your rifle is a KCG, so you have to load for the older actions, where mine are modern actions that I can increase the chamber pressure quite a bit.

IIRC, your rifle is a KCG, so you have to load for the older actions, where mine are modern actions that I can increase the chamber pressure quite a bit.

Indeed! Now that you mention that, I remember a similar discussion some time ago! :oops: I'm sure there are loads with my powders that will work fine for me.

Finished up a batch of 500 7.62x51 Lake City rounds. I am certainly getting my fill of swaging primer pockets. At this rate I am going to be out of .308 projectiles with one more batch except for a few Nosler Accubonds and Partitions I have rat holed for the Ackley.

Upcoming Events

Good News!! The Carson, WA shows are back!!
Carson, WA
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top