JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yep … if you know what to look for (the semi-rim) it's a no brainer!

55gr Hornady V-Max at 3700 fps. Sighted in at 250 yards gives a point blank range on a whistle pig out to around 375 yards.

Love the round.

I finally loaded my first shouldered rounds to take to the range Friday. Made up 20 .30-06 rounds for the Garand with H4895. Using 150gr Sierra Matchkings. Loaded 5 each at 42, 44, 45, up to the max of 46 grains shown in the Speer 14 book. I noticed lesser recoil at the beginning and up to .46 grains. Recoil seemed to be getting close to what I got from the PPU "For Garand" factory stuff. And ejection was mostly foreward for the lower weights and moved to 905 right at th upper loads. So hard for me to see the red dot, even setting it at 75 yards. I thought groups were fine. Was looking at 3" for three out of the five with the two lighter loads.

Speer says 46 grains is max, for a 150 in 30-06? Times have changed, was a time when that was closer to starting. That's pretty conservative, I suspect there's a lot of room above that, but no need to push it in the old M1.

Some years back I bought an ammo can full of USGI pulled 150gr M2 FMJ bullets. They were a nickel apiece back then. Then I bought a thousand Nosler 155gr J4 HPBT match bullets. I tested different loads for accuracy, and found little or no difference in accuracy. My nicest M1 with the best barrel would do 2" @100 yards, on a good day. I'm sure if I had a match M1 set up for accuracy then it would be quite different. I came to the conclusion that for my Garands, match bullets were a waste. Nowadays though, when cheap FMJ bullets cost 15 cents and you can get quality bullets for 20 cents, maybe it's more worth it. :)

~ 500 rounds of .45 ACP 200 grain polycoat wadcutters. Prepped brass up to priming for another big batch of 9mm 147 grain stuff, and got in some range time before the rain gets to be a lot. Those .45 wadcutters run real nice, didn't have any issues running them in the CZ97 for some " draw from concealment, and knock down plates" practice on the timer. Nice to be able to afford enough ammo to practice with the .45, now! After practicing with my two iron sight centerfire pistols, shooting the Sig with optics was amazingly fast. A very good morning... now it's time to learn how to do Hi-Tek coating on all the bullets I cast last weekend.

Speer says 46 grains is max, for a 150 in 30-06? Times have changed, was a time when that was closer to starting. That's pretty conservative, I suspect there's a lot of room above that, but no need to push it in the old M1.

Yes, quite conservative. The Hodgdon loading site starts at 46 gr H4895 and tops out at 51gr. Showing a little over 48,500 cup at the top. I don't know if I could get more accuracy running it higher. And I am aware that going over 50,000 isn't something you want to do with the Garand. Now, the difference in CUP and PSI still escapes my complete understanding. o_O I tend to use things like factory ammo compared with recoil/report, and ejection pattern, to tell me what's going on. Also condition of fired cases/primers.

That makes more sense. I think I settled on about 48gr. for mine. With the specific brass, primer, and bullet I use, it shoots well and is a relatively moderate load, definitely lighter that HXP surplus. I don't see the point in hot-rodding an old gun. Lighter loads are great, especially if they shoot accurately.

I never bothered trimming any of my Swede brass yet. Had both my Swedes Ackley improved, so my loading data no longer is valid. In addition, I didn't shoot them long enough as Swedes to develop a pet load. The first rifle was dangerous from the day I bought it from another member here, so off to @Velzey it went. He did a fantastic job, and I liked it so much I had the 2nd rifle converted too.
I used N550 and IMR4350. I have a pound of AA4350 you're welcome to have to try. I'm using the slower powders for the heavier 140gr pills. The 130's and lower I was going to use in the Grendel.
IIRC, your rifle is a KCG, so you have to load for the older actions, where mine are modern actions that I can increase the chamber pressure quite a bit.
Top notch smith @Velzey. Made my well used model 27 back into a finely tuned clock.

I used N550 and IMR4350. I have a pound of AA4350 you're welcome to have to try. I'm using the slower powders for the heavier 140gr pills. The 130's and lower I was going to use in the Grendel.
IIRC, your rifle is a KCG, so you have to load for the older actions, where mine are modern actions that I can increase the chamber pressure quite a bit.

I have data that shows use of the AA4350 for the military actions with 129 grain too. Appreciate that offer but seeing I have two other powders listed I will use them for now. I also have 200 old 140 grain Speer soft point to try down the line.

Been working on resizing 300 brass tonight myself. All of it fit case guage post resizing with no re-trmming needed.. Love it..
I have a little crow but haven't used it yet. Is it going to make me love it when I do?

It sure is!!! But wished it had tri-cut capability but if it's a sharp end mill it will cut surgically clean with only an inside chamfer needed...;)

Like sick not feeling well? :eek::(

Sadly yes... Inner ear stuff..... again.... :(

Last Edited:
I have loaded .429 250gr xp's for 44 mag, .40 160gr xp's for 10mm auto and .458 305 xp's for 45/70. Unfortunately I have not been able to shoot them yet, hopefully soon. I will report back when I do.

44 special 429421 cast bullets and 45 Colt 255 cast and powder coated samples to try.

44 special.jpg 45 colt 255.jpg

Finished: 641903-87b2dc69949985657a8e36ca0be44084.jpg

Not quite the color I was hoping for, but it'll get the job done. "Zombie Green" .

Boiled bullets, baked bullets, fried bullets... bullets jubilee, bullets Alfredo....

bullets jubilee.jpg

Upcoming Events

Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR