JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've got a ton of tested .38 data with 125 pills both plated and cast brother. Fell free to pm me any time for extra reference. It's all by the book stuff there's just a ton of it it's my favorite cartridge to dink around with because it's so versatile and there's so many options.
Pm sent. :)

Been thinking about trying out some 147gr pills for the 9mm. I've heard and read it creates more of a "push" and less of a "kick". Essentially less felt recoil.

Can anyone confirm this?

The 147 grain slug in a 9mm, loaded to run between 900 and 1000 fps, seems to spread the pressure out over a longer time to achieve the same energy, for many of us this seems to deliver less felt recoil by spreading it out over time. I really like this load for steel!

Well, kind of a disappointing chrono test. The CCI sp primers are too hard for this pistol, so a lot of them needed several hammer strikes to cap off. Lesson learned, don't size and prime 500 cases when you're working up a new load. Other than that, the sd's were high, and the velocities low, like nothing above 800, and most around 600 something. Accuracy of "eh". All rounds were in the "A" box at 12 yards, not great. ( Irons off a sandbag with 50 year old eyes.) Tried 3.8grns, 3.9, 4.0 and 4.1 of Silhouette... meters very nicely, but this powder is probably too slow, despite having published loads for the 100 grn Xtreme .380 plated fp bullets. Would have started with hp38/w231 but I can't find any locally.
Will have to try again when I can get 231, and use Federal primers.

On top of all that, I seem to have contracted "Chrono-virus", must have got it from another reloader.... :cool:

Well, kind of a disappointing chrono test. The CCI sp primers are too hard for this pistol, so a lot of them needed several hammer strikes to cap off. Lesson learned, don't size and prime 500 cases when you're working up a new load. Other than that, the sd's were high, and the velocities low, like nothing above 800, and most around 600 something. Accuracy of "eh". All rounds were in the "A" box at 12 yards, not great. ( Irons off a sandbag with 50 year old eyes.) Tried 3.8grns, 3.9, 4.0 and 4.1 of Silhouette... meters very nicely, but this powder is probably too slow, despite having published loads for the 100 grn Xtreme .380 plated fp bullets. Would have started with hp38/w231 but I can't find any locally.
Will have to try again when I can get 231, and use Federal primers.

On top of all that, I seem to have contracted "Chrono-virus", must have got it from another reloader.... :cool:
What pistol are you firing them in? I have never experienced problems with CCI-500 primers in my Glock 19 or CZ P09. (Don't ask about S&B small RIFLE primers in those pistols or how I happen to know about such things :rolleyes:)

It is a Bersa Thunder, and on further reading, apparently they have an issue with the safety block, such that they work fine da, or rapid sa, but slow squeezes like you do for groups from a rest thru a chrono tend to have light strikes, something drags on the firing pin.
Not my pistol, so I'll let the owner work on that.
The CCI's work fine in my Legion, so I didn't really give it a second thought.

The mail today had a flyer from Midway, no hazmat fee on orders over $150! Yay! then I looked for powder, and um... they don't have much left.

57 rounds of 45 Colt. Would've liked to do 200, but I'm now out of Unique. Have another 200 coming from Beartooth but can't get the powder anywhere.

I use Trail Boss and Winchester primers for .45 Colt. It works great for putting holes in paper or ringing steel.

Ran the annealing machine with 223 brass for an hour or so today.

I have had several people ask me "Why anneal?"

A couple of pictures will be worth 1000 words.

Both targets were shot with the EXACT SAME LOAD and specifications.
The only difference is one set of cases were annealed and the others were not.

Both of these targets are 12 rounds fired at 100 yards.

Annealed.jpg Unannealed.jpg

I use Trail Boss and Winchester primers for .45 Colt. It works great for putting holes in paper or ringing steel.

I have a jug of Trail Boss that I use for punching paper with 200 grainers but my go to is 9.0 of Unique over a 265gr hardcast Keith is strong medicine for anything in the lower 48, save for grizzlies.

Deprimed a huge bowl of 9mm and about 250 .40 S&W. TBH, I already have plenty of 9mm ready to load, but I like to pop out primers while I watch a show, the "Harvey" hand deprimer works really well.

Ran the annealing machine with 223 brass for an hour or so today.

I have had several people ask me "Why anneal?"

A couple of pictures will be worth 1000 words.

Both targets were shot with the EXACT SAME LOAD and specifications.
The only difference is one set of cases were annealed and the others were not.

Both of these targets are 12 rounds fired at 100 yards.

View attachment 673995 View attachment 673996
Most impressive !!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews