JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Latest hand loads, .41 Magnum. I've been loading it with 210 gr. LSWC and 7.4 gr. 231, about 950 fps. Nice easy load for my revolvers. But lately, I bought a Henry BBS rifle in .41 Mag. For that one, I want to shoot true magnum loads to take advantage of the 20 inch bbl. length. First, I bought 100 new nickel plated cases. I wanted to use nickel so at a glance, I would know right away what was a revolver load and what was a rifle load. Yes, my containers all have identifying information on them. Sometimes precautions come in handy, though. After getting the new brass cases, I loaded fifty of them with 20,0 gr. 296 and Sierra 210 gr. JHP. I zeroed the rifle in with the soft lead loads but haven't had a chance to try out the full-power stuff yet. I've also changed the rear sight on the new rifle to a receiver design with aperture, I need to re-fire the rifle for that reason alone. All in good time.

Some shooters and hand loaders don't like nickel plated cases. I've use them in various cartridges over the years, haven't had issues. The plated .41's I won't shoot in a great quantity so it won't make any difference.
So YOURE the one who bought my rifle! :D

Congrats! Sounds like it was a nice one!

I won't be loading them today, but the next cartridge that I'll load for is for my .50-70-750 handgun. It's a normal .50-70 case loaded with a Hornady 750 grain A-Max. This barrel, made for my Encore, is 13" long with a hellatious muzzle brake. It was made by SSK industries. The very, very long A-Max requires a special 1" in 10" rifling twist to stabilize. DON'T shoot one of these without the muzzle brake. Been there, done that. Don't!!!

I've had a bunch of Contenders one of my favorites is .223 in a super 14 barrel. It's fun to shoot 1" 10shot groups at the 100yd rifle range next to the guy shooting a black rifle with all the "stuff" on it for him to fiddle with and still can't print a group under a foot. The secret for 30-30 in a contender is called 30 Herrett.

I looked at the BBS in .357, .44 Mag and .45 Colt. Nowhere did a stocking dealer in western Wash. have a .41 in their inventory. Just a bit too oddball for anybody to tie up money in. So I did what I'm very reluctant to do, ordered one through a dealer sight unseen. When it comes to new guns, Gunbroker prices are usually pretty competitive. So I looked for a Wash. FFL dealer who had one listed on GB. That way at least I could avoid shipping and receiving FFL dealer fee. A dealer up in Anacortes had one at a price lower than all the BBS that I looked at in other calibers. They had to get it from "the warehouse." Which means, they didn't really have it in inventory to ship on a GB sale, they make the sale, then have it shipped from a distributor. I've found that this isn't uncommon. So I bought the .41 over the phone, they called when it came in. Fortunately, everything was okay with it. I figured this wasn't like buying a used gun on GB, the new one carries the manuf. warranty if something is wrong.

Yeah, one time I was looking at a website for a gun that I was interested in. It was at a gun shop out in Covington. Which is a fair piece south for me to drive. I was looking at their online site, they listed all kinds of guns available for sale. I drove out to the place, looked around in the store, they had like ten guns to sell. I asked the clerk, "Where are all your guns?" They said, "What are you interested in?" I told them I'd seen one on their website that said it was in stock. The clerk then said, "Oh, those guns are all in stock. But not here, they are at 'the warehouse' and we have to send for them when you decide you want one." So they didn't really have all these guns; the "warehouse" reference was their way of saying so and the guns really had to come from a distributor. My idea is that I'd like to personally look at what I'm interested in.

Although I like the Henry .41 BBS, I'm not specifically a Henry fan. I bought it because of the caliber. Another I'm kinda/sorta contemplating is the BBS in .327 Fed Mag. I've discussed my issues with this cartridge in revolvers at length in another thread. But I think the .327 might make a good light rifle cartridge. Haven't made up my mind about this yet. But I saved all my .327 Fed mag hand loading supplies when I ditched the three revolvers.
I was talking about the one for sale here in the classifieds up in Washington. :D

The 41 Mag is one of my favorite cartridges. Too bad I can't get a gun I really want in 41. The Taurus Tracker is very close, but not quite. I've owned both Old and New Model Blackhawks. Love 'em, just don't shoot them well.

I have a 44 Mag I haven't loaded for yet. I see that I have gathered a fair quantity of brass, so I guess it's time to buy some dies and get to work.

"The 41 Mag is one of my favorite cartridges. Too bad I can't get a gun I really want in 41. The Taurus Tracker is very close, but not quite. I've owned both Old and New Model Blackhawks. Love 'em, just don't shoot them well."

Ruger does make the Redhawk in 41 Mag ....

"The 41 Mag is one of my favorite cartridges. Too bad I can't get a gun I really want in 41. The Taurus Tracker is very close, but not quite. I've owned both Old and New Model Blackhawks. Love 'em, just don't shoot them well."

Ruger does make the Redhawk in 41 Mag ....
Yep. That's the one I've got. Love it.

I read years ago that this bbl abbreviation actually came from the oil industry as the barrels to haul oil were blue and the abbreviation became bbl for blue barrels. I am not sure how or why the firearm industry adopted it. Maybe the first barrel maker was a stutterer.:D

Last Edited:
My two .41 revolvers are both Smith & Wesson Model 57's. One w/ 4 in. bbl., the other with 8-3/8 in. Very fine shooting guns.

I had a New Model Blackhawk 4 5/8" for quite a while then sold it. Later I picked up a Three Screw 6 1/2". The Three Screw wasn't gorgeous, but it could shoot! I shot it better than any other single action revolver, by far, but it was a PIA to pack along and I adopted a 357 4" instead.

These days I have a S&W Model 69 in 44 Mag. If it was 41, not a 44, I think it would be perfect.

To get the thread back on track..... :D

I made large caliber shells (44AMP) into smaller caliber shells (357AMP) and loaded me a cocktail of 19gr H110, pushing a 158gr bullet.

Can't wait to hit the range. :D

IMG_20190112_145601181.jpg

To get the thread back on track..... :D

I made large caliber shells (44AMP) into smaller caliber shells (357AMP) and loaded me a cocktail of 19gr H110, pushing a 158gr bullet.

Can't wait to hit the range. :D

View attachment 538049
Dude...... I have not seen an automag for YEARS!!! That is awesome!
Though I'm not familiar with the cartridge, I can see why you'd want to load for it! :D

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top