JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well folks, I finally felt in the mood to get out in "the room" and do something constructive, the past 3-4 weeks have been very trying.
I sorted 3,000 9mm for desirable headstamps, deprimed <1,000 and put the rest in the big "for sale" ammo can.

That's about all I wanted to do at this point in time.
Jim! A New Avatar Dude! Kinda Like it!

Loaded up 530 cast bullets in 357 mag for my brothers lever gun. Loaded up so 44 mags, 300 Savage, 30-30 and 45-70.

I'm going to shoot the 45-70 this week as I may be putting the Wild West Guns co-pilot up for sale :(
I have dr bills that I need to pay.

Finished the last 500 rds of a 5K batch of 9mm today, then switched press to reseat a batch of .45 200 gr SWC that somehow had 40% of rounds with OAL greater than 1.253". My 1911 started having feed problems and I traced it to the long SWCs, some were 1.265". It's vexing to have to reprocess finished rounds, but better than the alternative.

Finished the last 500 rds of a 5K batch of 9mm today, then switched press to reseat a batch of .45 200 gr SWC that somehow had 40% of rounds with OAL greater than 1.253". My 1911 started having feed problems and I traced it to the long SWCs, some were 1.265". It's vexing to have to reprocess finished rounds, but better than the alternative.
Grease/lube buildup on seater stem? Boy I don't miss those days.

Grease/lube buildup on seater stem? Boy I don't miss those days.
Probably not, I'm using coated LSWC. I eyeballed the die and it looks clear. Running the whole batch thru and it is working fine, frequent OAL checks this time. I kinda wonder if I had the die loosen midway thru production, and those rounds got mixed with the rest. I did crank that batch out in a hurry and was lax in spot checking OAL during production. It caught me.

I don't miss the gunky wax build up, either.

Made another small run of 9mm last night.

IMG_8633.jpeg

I got the 41 mag and 45-70 done, now doing brass prep for the day. I've got a tumbler full of 357 going now with 44 mag brass to run right behind it. While the tumbler is running I've got a couple 5 gallon buckets of rifle brass to sort and some 38 special to de-prime. When I've got this all done I'll set up the Mark 7 Press for a run of 9mm.

Making a variety of 45 Colt rounds, bought 1k of Starline brass and its great because you don't need to size it.

Just primer, bell mouth and powder, bullet and crimp.

Loaded 200 of the flying ashtrays, Speer.

400 of the coated 200 grain rnfp from Missouri bullets.

Working now on the 250 gr Keith style from Missouri bullets

Last Edited:
Making a variety of 45 Colt rounds, bought 1k of Starline brass and its great because you don't need to size it.

Just primer, bell mouth and powder, bullet and crimp.

Loaded 200 of the flying ashtrays, Speer.

400 of the coated 200 grain rnfp from Missouri bullets.

Working now on the 250 gr Keith style from Missouri bullets
What powder(s)/weights have you liked for .45 Colt?
We got Wifey the Rossi stainless model 92 and I was dismayed with Unique and how much gas/soot blew buy the case and into the action of the gun. I'm pretty much okay now with W 244 Win-clean. But still seem to get some blowby. I've chalked it up to it's the nature of the beast,(.45 Colt)

We got Wifey the Rossi stainless model 92 and I was dismayed with Unique and how much gas/soot blew buy the case and into the action of the gun. I'm pretty much okay now with W 244 Win-clean. But still seem to get some blowby. I've chalked it up to it's the nature of the beast,(.45 Colt)
I am using unique in this run, I like to fill the big cases up with volume because of reading in the past small volume can detonate. Bullseye was the powder for 38s but the guys in the club said it detonated so I used 231 for my 38 specials.

All the manuals recommend unique for 45 Colt so I settled on 9 grains for the 200 grain bullets with 9.5 being max load

8 grains for the 250s.

I don't load hot ammo as no sense destroying a gun.

I bought some 244 and want to try it in my 45 auto.

I am using unique in this run, I like to fill the big cases up with volume because of reading in the past small volume can detonate. Bullseye was the powder for 38s but the guys in the club said it detonated so I used 231 for my 38 specials.

All the manuals recommend unique for 45 Colt so I settled on 9 grains for the 200 grain bullets with 9.5 being max load

8 grains for the 250s.

I don't load hot ammo as no sense destroying a gun.

I bought some 244 and want to try it in my 45 auto.
I ran 8.0-8.5gr of Unique in my first loadings. And I'm sticking with 200gr polymer coated. 8.0gr in that big case seems like nothing! I liked moving to a slower powder for a rifle barrel.
I don't load anything hot, don't see the need for what/how I shoot.
My .38sp, .45ACP powder is 231/HP-38
The 244 does seem to run cleaner than the Unique.

W244 is a good powder for the 45 colt.
So is Trail Boss if you can find it.
You want a hefty (safe) charge of fast powder for the 45 Colt to seal the case and minimize blowby.
I'd stay away from black powder in a levergun, especially the Winchester type action. They're not easy nor fun to disassemble to clean the corrosive powder residue.

I ran 8.0-8.5gr of Unique in my first loadings. And I'm sticking with 200gr polymer coated. 8.0gr in that big case seems like nothing! I liked moving to a slower powder for a rifle barrel.
I don't load anything hot, don't see the need for what/how I shoot.
My .38sp, .45ACP powder is 231/HP-38
The 244 does seem to run cleaner than the Unique.
Not exactly sure what coating is on the Missouri bullets but it isn't polymer. It's a black powder type coating I think but it is very thin and consistent.

Unique is dirty but it has worked well in my revolvers. It does stain the case but I polish it off with my dillion case cleaner.

My favorite powder is 231 and it's the best consistent powder I have ever used. I do like to try new powders so bimart got in some 244 and I bought a pound. Do you have a cartridge and load you favor using 244?

W244 is a good powder for the 45 colt.
So is Trail Boss if you can find it.
You want a hefty (safe) charge of fast powder for the 45 Colt to seal the case and minimize blowby.
I'd stay away from black powder in a levergun, especially the Winchester type action. They're not easy nor fun to disassemble to clean the corrosive powder residue.
I was looking through my powders and didn't have enough Trail Boss for a good run. Plenty of Unique so decided on it.

Colts 45 has a weak spot in the cylinder where the bolt cut is. I don't risk blowing up a Colt by loading hot. I do get blowback around the case but I am OK with that.

Never used black powder, not sure why but never got into it.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top