JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My favorite powder is 231 and it's the best consistent powder I have ever used. I do like to try new powders so bimart got in some 244 and I bought a pound. Do you have a cartridge and load you favor using 244?
It is my understanding that W 231 and HP-38 are the same powder with identical loading data.

I only came to the W-244 "win clean" because someone here mention I might want to try it when I was complaining about how dirty Unique was in the rifle. I loaded .45 colt with it at 7.5grs-8.5grs and settled on 8.0grs.

Not exactly sure what coating is on the Missouri bullets but it isn't polymer. It's a black powder type coating I think but it is very thin and consistent.
If that black coating your talking about comes of on your hands and feel slippery I think it's probably "Moly" coating. I wouldn't think anyone used that anymore? Some bad stuff written about it.

I had some moly coated .452 that came with a box of stuff. I loaded 'em and they dirtied up my dies, got on my hands and left their crap in the barrel. You might have something different?

It is my understanding that W 231 and HP-38 are the same powder with identical loading data.

I only came to the W-244 "win clean" because someone here mention I might want to try it when I was complaining about how dirty Unique was in the rifle. I loaded .45 colt with it at 7.5grs-8.5grs and settled on 8.0grs.

If that black coating your talking about comes of on your hands and feel slippery I think it's probably "Moly" coating. I wouldn't think anyone used that anymore? Some bad stuff written about it.

I had some moly coated .452 that came with a box of stuff. I loaded 'em and they dirtied up my dies, got on my hands and left their crap in the barrel. You might have something different?
I don't think it's moly but I really don't know. Says high tech but I guess I should ask them.

This is the coating.

Last Edited:
Well folks not feeling up to running to press right now, concentration issues at the moment. So I have been organizing and processing brass like a fiend this last week and I can finally see my bench top once more!!!
Will reorganize my Brass classifieds soon.

2E8BA260-B928-4E64-9BF5-EFB6C4E99D08.jpeg 986B0979-BA1B-4A64-B095-FEE4341E94B7.jpeg

Last Edited:
Been busier than the proverbial one legged lumber jack at work, but finally got started at cleaning out my reloading area. Part of the problem is, as shizzle breaks or needs adjustment, I drop it in the g'rage and move crap around it.
In the last three weeks, fixed two chainsaws, one compressor, rototiller, hedge trimmer and replaced the pesky heater hose on the Land Cruiser. Pulled out of storage all the welder and torch stuff so now have two welders, one torch and one plasma cutter ready to rock.
I need the stick welder to set some fence this weekend.
There's still a pile of plumbing gear that needs to be put back (installed a whole house water filtration system).
It's nice to be reclaiming my space. @Caveman Jim , if you ever wondered where those cartridges were, they're still waiting to be unburied to then decap/demil.

ReloadingSetup.jpg

I still shoot moly coated. Can't say I've ever been negatively affected.

Been busier than the proverbial one legged lumber jack at work, but finally got started at cleaning out my reloading area. Part of the problem is, as shizzle breaks or needs adjustment, I drop it in the g'rage and move crap around it.
In the last three weeks, fixed two chainsaws, one compressor, rototiller, hedge trimmer and replaced the pesky heater hose on the Land Cruiser. Pulled out of storage all the welder and torch stuff so now have two welders, one torch and one plasma cutter ready to rock.
I need the stick welder to set some fence this weekend.
There's still a pile of plumbing gear that needs to be put back (installed a whole house water filtration system).
It's nice to be reclaiming my space. @Caveman Jim , if you ever wondered where those cartridges were, they're still waiting to be unburied to then decap/demil.

View attachment 1428112
The front part of my shop looks like yours in the picture, I have dedicated isles in between the crap. Lol
The back half where I have my woodworking/brass prep/The Room area is pretty much accessible. Although I do have to move woodworking machines around when I make it and sawdust.

F98AC432-5ECF-44A4-A479-B97D910F5DBB.jpeg 3B8661E6-7EE5-41B4-9751-00FD8AA4AA16.jpeg D250B962-7063-423A-A035-03AF4D9B3907.jpeg

Two days ago, 25 rounds of .35 Whelen. My rifle is now dead-nuts on. It's not the kind of thing you want to take out and shoot 100 or more rounds through at one time, like an AR, for example.

My Whelen rounds are formulated as reduced recoil loads. However, I'm using the new Hornady Sub-X 250 gr. bullet. Which is specifically designed to shoot at subsonic velocities in .350 Legend. Meaning, optimum expansion at lower velocity. In the case of my .35 Whelen, 30.0 gr, SR 4759 = 1,957 fps. But it doesn't beat you up like a "normal," conventional loading might.

...I bought some 244 and want to try it in my 45 auto...
Got home from work and checked the boxes of 45 auto i loaded with W244.
Mixed cases, WLP primers, 230gr fmj bullets.
5.2 grains of W244 @ 822 fps.
This is a great midrange load.
(edited to add)
Precision Delta bullets. They're true FMJ. About $100 for 1k of 9mm, about $150 for a K of 45. Free shipping and always ship the next day. Weight, diameter and form is always spot-on. I use a ton of them and highly recommend that outfit.

Last Edited:
Huh. I read the information in the linked article, I didn't know most of that. I haven't fired any moly coated bullets in a long time. I bought s couple of hundred when Midway was selling factory seconds at reduced prices. When their seconds were still greatly reduced and a good deal. Not so much now. I haven't seen them around lately. What I bought were .224 bullets, I probably just hosed them away without noting any performance differences. Nor any ill effects.

I don't really know much of anything about moly coated except of those 50 or so. It was dealing with the dirty on them that would keep me from ever purposely messing with them.

By the looks of what I read on coatings, the coated lead bullets it saves waxing them so the bullets are cheaper to produce. Molly is different than coating by what I have read and thanks Mike for getting me reading on molly..

Years ago I was limited on living space so I bought a portable reloading bench that was pretty small. Great set up for living in a travel trailer or a duplex.

I was searching the web to buy another one but not much out there that is as good as what I had. It was very stable with my RCBS junior press and had mounting holes that put the press very close to the center of the plate.

Thinking maybe I should hire a metal fab guy to build me another one. o_O

Years ago I was limited on living space so I bought a portable reloading bench that was pretty small. Great set up for living in a travel trailer or a duplex.

I was searching the web to buy another one but not much out there that is as good as what I had. It was very stable with my RCBS junior press and had mounting holes that put the press very close to the center of the plate.

got a photo?

I don't know about hiring a metal fab fab guy. I get by in my rv just fine.

20230528_184340.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads