JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good eye my friend….
Haaaaaa.. dang…

55gr varmagedon
38.1(3-8) gr ….. H380
COL….. 2.345 (AR 10 mag restriction)
Sig brass
CCI 200….or Win WLRP (standard-mag)

I have to guess (load data Lyman book 50th anniversary edition 55gr V-Max) window 3300-3400 fps because I don't have a crony yet. So really cannot say yet. I'm gonna see if I can borrow one before next trip and confirm speed/groupings.

This is my load now though….. last ladder (38grn powder flat)1/2 MOA (WLRP) …… again no croni.

AR10 20" SS 1:14 SOCOM profile….

View attachment 1396384
So, Hodgdon's original load for the 22-250 and how H-380 got its name. I was hoping for something more exotic (since I don't have any H-380 on hand). Ramshot Big Game seems pretty close to H-380 burn rate, maybe I will give that a shot with the 55 gr Varmageddons. Thanks.

Loaded up 50rnds of Hornady 150grn fmjbt 300blk with A1680.
18grn through 21grn. I used the sharpie trick to identify.

First two photos are prior to seating. Last photo is seated to 2.220" per the Hornady manual.

I've read a dozen posts online about people complaining about the long OAL given in the hornady manual. Most people seat shorter, but these are already compressed loads.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230404_183641_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230404_183641_Gallery.jpg
    470.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20230404_183625_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230404_183625_Gallery.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20230404_183558_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230404_183558_Gallery.jpg
    511.4 KB · Views: 30

First two photos are prior to seating. Last photo is seated to 2.220" per the Hornady manual.

I've read a dozen posts online about people complaining about the long OAL given in the hornady manual. Most people seat shorter, but these are already compressed loads.
I've used up the rest of my 1680 and liked it but I have Alliant 2400 2#s I can't find a use for in anything else I have to load now.

Found some data online….. but have you tried A2400?

Beautiful

I actually loaded these last night but was too lazy to track down my camera and take a picture.

My first try at .44 Special loads. Since I never had a firearm that shot .44 Special (only .44 Magnum) my dies were set for the Magnums. If I had been smart and anticipated that someday I would indeed need to load some Specials, I would have loaded the Magnums using the spacer ring that came with the die set.

Anyway, these are the product of some new Starline brass, CCI large pistol primers, Unique powder, and Nosler 200 grain JHP bullets.

IMG_7941.JPG

Last Edited:
I actually loaded these last night but was too lazy to track down my camera and take a picture.

My first try at .44 Special loads. Since I never had a firearm that shot .44 Special (only .44 Magnum) my dies were set for the Magnums. If I had been smart and anticipated that someday I would indeed need to load some Specials, I would have loaded the Magnums using the spacer ring that came with the dies set.

Anyway, these are the product of some new Starline brass, CCI large pistol primers, Unique powder, and Nosler 200 grain JHP bullets.

View attachment 1398056
Or you could just have dies for both, that's what I do.

Or you could just have dies for both, that's what I do.
Just for that, I'm gonna get my FFL, start reloading and put you outta business. I pumped those 50 rounds out on my single stage Hollywood press in about three hours. I figure I can make 50 cents to 99 cents per hour if I price my product correctly. Heck, now that I've got the dies setup where I want them, I can probably knock 15 minutes off of those three hours. :s0140:

Mike, Mike, Mike. You know I'm too cheap to buy another set of dies when I could be using the dollars to buy more of those wadcutter loads from you. Especially those spendy carbide dies. Once I discovered those, I sold my old pistol caliber dies and replaced them with RCBS carbide sets.

I do use the spacer for .357 magnum/.38 special loads, and since I use the same 158 grain JHP for both, that works well for me. I'm kind of a stick in the mud, loading the same boring loads. I know you're quite the opposite, always testing something new.

Just for that, I'm gonna get my FFL, start reloading and put you outta business. I pumped those 50 rounds out on my single stage Hollywood press in about three hours. I figure I can make 50 cents to 99 cents per hour if I price my product correctly. Heck, now that I've got the dies setup where I want them, I can probably knock 15 minutes off of those three hours. :s0140:

Mike, Mike, Mike. You know I'm too cheap to buy another set of dies when I could be using the dollars to buy more of those wadcutter loads from you. Especially those spendy carbide dies. Once I discovered those, I sold my old pistol caliber dies and replaced them with RCBS carbide sets.

I do use the spacer for .357 magnum/.38 special loads, and since I use the same 158 grain JHP for both, that works well for me. I'm kind of a stick in the mud, loading the same boring loads. I know you're quite the opposite, always testing something new.
Too bad you don't know somebody that is a Lee dealer and could get you die sets at cost(hint).

If you want more of those wadcutters I've got a few boxes left and it'll be a while before I make more.......

I do have my personal favorite loads for the calibers I shoot on my own 44 Mag, 357 Mag, 10 mm, 45 acp, 45 Colt and the like but for the business I do make a lot of what everybody wants so I do try to find the Goldilocks loads.

Loaded up 100 rounds of 5.56 yesterday. RMR 75 gr BTHP, 25.5 gr of Shooter's World Precision Rifle (Czech Varget), RP 7 1/2 primer, LC brass. Load chronographed just over 2900 fps at 41 degrees and grouped 5 shots under an inch at 100 yards from my Stag Model 6 24" 1 in 8 twist barrel.

9CE3B360-11F2-4972-A9CD-F38BB3ACD4E5.jpeg

Sized 449 300blk through an RCBS small base die on the Dillon 650XL. The 450th case decided to weld itself inside the die and has resisted all attempts to remove.

Now to trim/chamfer the group before loading in bulk.

Screenshot_20230405_115851_Gallery.jpg 20230405_111936.jpg

The 450th case decided to weld itself inside the die and has resisted all attempts to remove.
Do you have/did you try a stuck case remover kit? I have one from RCBS and it bailed me out the one time I had that happen (.222 Rem Mag case). Those kits are only about $20. Cheaper than buying a new set of dies.

Do you have/did you try a stuck case remover kit? I have one from RCBS and it bailed me out the one time I had that happen (.222 Rem Mag case). Those kits are only about $20. Cheaper than buying a new set of dies.
A quick call to RCBS, they are going to remove it for me. I spent way too long trying all the tricks besides buying the stuck case remover kit. I think I may need to break down and buy it.

I've just finished preparing 1,000 223 cases for loading and going to watch a whole brick of Primers disappear this weekend. Got about 500 9mm cases going to get prepped and sized as well.

I have an extra 1 for $10. Used it on my carbide Dillon 357sig sizing die and it spun the insert and it ended up coming out. Sent it back to Dillon and they fixed it. I know RCBS and Hornady will also take care of a stuck case for you at no charge.

I have an extra 1 for $10. Used it on my carbide Dillon 357sig sizing die and it spun the insert and it ended up coming out. Sent it back to Dillon and they fixed it. I know RCBS and Hornady will also take care of a stuck case for you at no charge.
Mine worked as advertised. That was about 20 years ago and I still have the kit - just in case. I was amazed how brute force could not unstick such a small case as the .222 Rem. Mag. IIRC the rim basically curled down and the shell holder lost its grip.

Most of the loading I do now is with carbide dies. When I'm loading rifle cartridges, I don't push my luck when the dies start getting sticky.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads