JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well I haven't had any problem with it for a straight wall stuff it's usually plus or minus a tenth of a grain. Most of the time it isn't even off by that much. I have even had them put off 20 straight charges that weighed out identical. Not with 700x though. That stuff is strictly a way every charge kind of powder. It meters like corn flakes and by golly it also looks like corn flakes:p
I use the adjustable auto disc with 700x and the csb5 which is bigger flakes and it works okay as long as you accept a little deviation. The trick is you have to have a way to agitate, vibrate the hopper. This improves consistency with any powder. I am also not a perfectionist. For loads where I need more precision I use other tools.

I don't care for the Lee disk system for powder dispensing. Seems like what ever amount I want is between two disks. Also I like to use ball powders and the Lee disk leaks big time. I use the case activated powder measures either the Mark 7 (Lyman) or the Hornady for pistol loadings on my progressive presses. For my rifles I weigh each charge one at a time.
As for what I reloaded today I'll be finishing up the 2700 run of 40 S&W, then knock out a box of 480 Ruger to take to the Gun Show this weekend just to see if there is a market for that ammo and then finishing off the week with 45 acp.

Loaded up a 40rnd group of .357sig to test before doing the larger run.

Neck tension seems to be a concern with this round. Even with using a factory crimp die.

20230307_233505.jpg

From the oddball (.33 WCF) last week to the mundane today:

"Thirty Ought Six" (I swear they breed in dark places). I never wanted one. I think there's 4 or 5 living here now.

But, on the bright side, today's case prep and prime (102rds) was for a Winchester Garand. First try for me, new gun to me. I am learning.

1678327255993.jpeg

From the oddball (.33 WCF) last week to the mundane today:

"Thirty Ought Six" (I swear they breed in dark places). I never wanted one. I think there's 4 or 5 living here now.

But, on the bright side, today's case prep and prime (102rds) was for a Winchester Garand. First try for me, new gun to me. I am learning.

View attachment 1379889
Niiiice! Beauteeeful brass BTW. What powder/projectile did you use? I settled on 47gr IMR4064 under 150gr Sierra MK. Seems to work the same in both M1's.

I don't care for the Lee disk system for powder dispensing. Seems like what ever amount I want is between two disks. Also I like to use ball powders and the Lee disk leaks big time. I use the case activated powder measures either the Mark 7 (Lyman) or the Hornady for pistol loadings on my progressive presses. For my rifles I weigh each charge one at a time.
As for what I reloaded today I'll be finishing up the 2700 run of 40 S&W, then knock out a box of 480 Ruger to take to the Gun Show this weekend just to see if there is a market for that ammo and then finishing off the week with 45 acp.
Here ya go, the best way to dial in a load with the auto-disc. ;)

24D92AAA-21B4-48AA-96FE-9B9A22C52033.jpeg

Here is a Lee pic of mod for powder leakage, filing the housing flush with a disc.
Puts more pressure on the seal to stop leakage.
You can see the seal smear on the disc and the shiny spot that I filed in the 2nd pic
Worked for me,

LeePic.jpg SealSmear.JPG

Last Edited:
Niiiice! Beauteeeful brass BTW. What powder/projectile did you use? I settled on 47gr IMR4064 under 150gr Sierra MK. Seems to work the same in both M1's.
I'm in the research phase, equipped with Handloader #333 (109 loads listed). Since I may hunt deer/antelope, I am leaning toward hunting bullets. The Nosler 150g Ballistic Tip has shot very well in my Springfield and .308's. With the Springfield, I settled on the 165g Sierra HPBT. These two bullets will be my first "tries".

As to powder, that article is somewhat partial to Varget. I have that on hand, both flavors of 4895, and your 4064 load will now come under serious consideration.

Federal Match primers (for when I care to send the very best).

I'm in the research phase, equipped with Handloader #333 (109 loads listed). Since I may hunt deer/antelope, I am leaning toward hunting bullets. The Nosler 150g Ballistic Tip has shot very well in my Springfield and .308's. With the Springfield, I settled on the 165g Sierra HPBT. These two bullets will be my first "tries".

As to powder, that article is somewhat partial to Varget. I have that on hand, both flavors of 4895, and your 4064 load will now come under serious consideration.

Federal Match primers (for when I care to send the very best).
Not a hunter myself. I only experimented with H4895 and the 4064 in the beginning. I would presume you can get plenty of kill power and accuracy without stressing the old girls op-rod and innards? I shoot at about 65 yards because of the eyes. If I'm fairly accurate and have a proper ejection I'm happy.
I'm still a noob to loading long gun. There are some real serious M1 loaders/shooters here that would offer up info from a lot more experience than I could.

If you haven't picked up a couple of these....
https://ammogarand.com/clipsmagazines.html Plus the 2 and 5 round models.
something to consider

Speaking of the SLED.

And FYI, for those who haven't had one yet. NOT that I'd wish anyone to get one (M1 thumb). BTW.....Stupid me....I've had it twice. LOL.

Aloha, Mark

PS....I was too lazy. So, I just purchased mine.

Last Edited:
I used to have some just like that haha. It does work with ball or stick or smaller flake type powder. Big flakes like 700x I had problems with bridging and light charges.
I do believe you may have mentioned that tip, or maybe it was @dyjital. Strange that his name doesn't highlight anymore… An old Convo shows him as member 5605. :s0092:
Wonder what's up with that???

Not a hunter myself. I only experimented with H4895 and the 4064 in the beginning. I would presume you can get plenty of kill power and accuracy without stressing the old girls op-rod and innards? I shoot at about 65 yards because of the eyes. If I'm fairly accurate and have a proper ejection I'm happy.
I'm still a noob to loading long gun. There are some real serious M1 loaders/shooters here that would offer up info from a lot more experience than I could.

If you haven't picked up a couple of these....
https://ammogarand.com/clipsmagazines.html Plus the 2 and 5 round models.
something to consider
If you're "on the take" with that outfit, they owe you a percentage of 80 bucks I spent there just now. Have also dealt with World War Surplus for "trinkets" for the war horses. :D

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top