JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's the way I do it, some days I don't get any loaded and then other days I get a lot loaded. I do jump back-and-forth in between 9mm, 40 S&W, 357/38, 300 blackout and 223/556.
That's the only calibers that I load for and do not want to add anymore, I'm content.

If I had a real progressive press I wouldn't have any primers. Then I'd have to be fishing all the time instead of loading boolits. :s0140:
Somebody should name a press "The Real Progressive"

Money

President_Roosevelt_-_Pach_Bros_(cropped).jpg

I have been working on 147gr HP subsonic 9mm and 55gr BT .223 for my target AR.

I have 2 progressive presses that are easy to set up. Right now one is set up for the 9mm and the other for .223.

While I like the idea of being able to set down and crank out hundreds or thousands of rounds in a sitting/day it is often hard to find time. With everything set up I can easily find 10-15 minutes to crank out 50-100 rds per day. If you do that 5 days a week that is 250-500 rds per week or 1000-2000 rds per month.
My machines can load more than I am capable of loading. Kind of like my guns that are capable of more accuracy than I can make them do. Some days I get more done than others. Some days are only case prep. Some days only sorting or whatever I feel like doing or have time to do.
I share your multiple machine practice.
750 is 357sig
1 650 is 9mm
1 650 is 223
1 550 is 38special at the moment
1 550 is 45acp
And the 550 in the box that has never been set up is for sale. Unless maybe I come up with a use for it.
The only constant is the 9mm machine.
Seems Iike there is always something I want to do on it.
A little or a lot of time doing some every
day amaze me how much can get done. I mean how much pleasure and enjoyment can be achieved.

Loaded some .223 with 25gr of H335 and a 53gr VMax bullet. No chrono set up, but Iiked they way they grouped. I have a ladder test set up for Saturday with the same load.

Anybody have one of those fancy Dillon 650s set up for processing crimped 556 military brass?
Size, trim and swage primer pockets on one machine? Sure would be nice. ;) I hate trimming brass.
I now use a WTF trimmer. Then the RCBS prep station for primer pocket uniformer, chamfer
and debur case mouth.

Anybody have one of those fancy Dillon 650s set up for processing crimped 556 military brass?
Size, trim and swage primer pockets on one machine? Sure would be nice. ;) I hate trimming brass.
I now use a WTF trimmer. Then the RCBS prep station for primer pocket uniformer, chamfer
and debur case mouth.
You need a 1050/1100 for on the press swaging. The 650/700 will not do it AFAIK. But you can get a Dillon 600 swager for off the press swaging: Dillon600

I'm not sure if I've ever put a pic up on this thread? I really love loading single stage rifle. There's something about trickling powder to the grain in each pan. And every finished cartridge that gets put in the box is a little piece of art. Loading for a 120 YO rifle is a real kick in the pants! Shooting them is pretty neat too.

These loads happen to be for one of the latest rifles in the stable. Only 105 years old. A 1917 Carl Gustaf's Swedish Mauser. In 6.5 X 55 Swedish, of course. All matching except the upper hand guard. I'm hoping that extra 4" of barrel on this one will shoot these loads as well as the M 96/38 does.

1668697184964.jpeg

and debur case mouth.
I am running mostly RCBS stuff. Not all on one machine.
I have one die head set up with lube/decap die in station 1 and sizing die in station 2.
I then use the RCBS case trimmer with 3 way head. The 3 way head makes it so you do not need to do any additional steps to the case mount.
I then use the Dillon 600 swager for military brass.
I have a case prep center but rarely use it.

I then swap heads on the press.
Station 1, nothing
Station 2, prime
Station 3, powder
Station 4, Seat
Station 5, crimp

Hi
and debur case mouth.
I somewhat recently started using the Dillon RT1200 on my 650. I now enjoy trimming. Then I throw the brass back in Rotary Tumbler and it magically cleans up the case mouth so there is no need to chamfer and deburr.
The RT1200 or now 1500 is not cheap and then you need a caliber specific trim die to go with it. No measuring to see if the case needs trimmed. If it doesn't reach the cutting blade it doesn't get cut and is getting sized.
Wanted one for years and now I have one and I really, really enjoy it. Expensive, but I have paid more for less enjoyment.
Still have to use the Super Swager 600 in a seperate step. Briefly had a Super 1050 which has the built in swager but just couldn't justify over $500 for each extra toolhead and caliber conversion.
Already have 2 sets running 550s and 650s and just couldn't do 3.
There is an aftermarket swager you can get for the 650 and the 550 and I tried both. If you rip the 650 one of your machine you will no longer be able to prime and Dillon will know and not warranty it. My one for the 650 is gone now. Mechanics for the 550 one are a little different but I got into some nasty crimps and went back to the SS 600.
I already can load way faster than what I can shoot.
I have gotten to the point where I just enjoy every minute at my reloading benches. So why make my precious time there any more efficient which will ultimately translate to less time there.

and debur case mouth.
Sell that WFT like I did and get yourself a Giraud triway trimmer, they trim/debur/chamfer all in one step.
I'm fixing to get one for 300 blackout and I'll be set.

Getting ready to prep everything. Got grandpa's custom 7mm mag back from Velzey and it's now all been squared away and good to go. Dug out 60 NOS Norma brass and even picked up 50 new Nosler cases. Gonna dig out the load data sheet for that rifle and my dad's ashes to sprinkle a dash into each load.

1118221355.jpg

So my Lake City 30-06 brass since I've been reloading since I was 16 was looking pretty sad. I've never had a tumbler and considered getting one just for this batch of 150 or so. I've only ever just washed my brass with hot soapy lemishined water, rinse in scalding water and towel tumble the still hot brass before drying.
The load for these is "The Load", 13 grains of Red Dot under Lyman's 190 grain gas checked spitzer. I'm switching over to powder coating so I have to remove the very light and old coating of mule snot, AKA, Lee Liquid Alox but it came in handy sizing and seating the gas checks.
So, back to that brass.. someone gave me a can of wadding way back so I used a 3" hank of that with the brass spinning on my chucked up Lee trimmer. Came out pretty good and only took a few seconds each.
I'll degrease and clean them further in my ultrasonic cleaner I got recently and call it good.

20221119_081655.jpg

20221119_081143.jpg

Did some shooting today. Twice on the 308 I had a chambered round fail to fire and extract. Once on the .223 also. These are my reloads I'm shooting and they all case gauge just fine. I might not be lubing the rifle correctly, or my rounds could be tight. I probably shot 200-300 rounds and had a problems on two or three.

I'm using frog lube, but will go to a normal oil next time. Maybe that might help ejections.

I gave a couple hundred .223 to a friend to shoot. He had no problems and none stuck in his chamber. That would point to the lube being part of the problem.

Last Edited:
So my Lake City 30-06 brass since I've been reloading since I was 16 was looking pretty sad. I've never had a tumbler and considered getting one just for this batch of 150 or so. I've only ever just washed my brass with hot soapy lemishined water, rinse in scalding water and towel tumble the still hot brass before drying.
The load for these is "The Load", 13 grains of Red Dot under Lyman's 190 grain gas checked spitzer. I'm switching over to powder coating so I have to remove the very light and old coating of mule snot, AKA, Lee Liquid Alox but it came in handy sizing and seating the gas checks.
So, back to that brass.. someone gave me a can of wadding way back so I used a 3" hank of that with the brass spinning on my chucked up Lee trimmer. Came out pretty good and only took a few seconds each.
I'll degrease and clean them further in my ultrasonic cleaner I got recently and call it good.

View attachment 1315504

View attachment 1315505
Same brass since you were 16? You're kind of old I'm just saying:p. That never dull is actually an aluminum polishing product. I used to use it on truck wheels when I was a younger fella and wanted to make my Peterbilt wheels shiny. I kind of shy away from that stuff for my cartridge brass. I usually get something specific for brass to polish with(not brasso it has ammonia). If it works for you, why not though? That Cabela's brass polish works really well even if you're doing it by hand. Smells rather pleasant as well. A tumbler really isn't necessary but it is pretty doggone handy. Especially if you're doing a ton of something like 9 mm. I used to do more bottleneck rifle stuff and I don't think I did 99% of that in a tumbler I did most of it by hand just like that. You just don't shoot as much of that as handgun. I have reloaded and reshot dirty handgun cartridges by the thousands but I have to admit I have to clean my press and dies a lot less if I put a little extra effort into the brass. I've got clean brass right now that will probably never see the press before I die.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top