JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Rim Rock makes these, when I find the proverbial round to it I was planing on developing a target type load for the 41 Mag.
What's worse? It's for a semi auto. My conversion does not like the Sierra 170s, and my wallet doesn't either.

Great stuff right there! LC is my favorite for making my 300BLK cases. Always consistent, forms and cuts nice.
I like to keep LC brass for 5.56 loading and use PSD for converting to 300BLK, I've ratholed 3k+ over the years. It's the same wall thickness as LC, .011, easy to cut and size.

CB7632DD-1C18-4180-BA6B-B3FFE10F8725.png

Yes, it's a gas seal revolver. The tip of the case slides up into the breach of the barrel when the hammer is cocked.

They say it's the only revolver you can effectively put a suppressor on.
So a gun that came out in 1895, is the only revolver that works with the suppressor that came out in 1902! Only took them 7 years to get that working right. Kinda like Biden coming up with an idea.

Yes, it's a gas seal revolver. The tip of the case slides up into the breach of the barrel when the hammer is cocked.

They say it's the only revolver you can effectively put a suppressor on.
Isn't that that Russian revolver that never really took off? I think it had jamming issues and whatnot? Wasn't it a Nagant? I know they are more known for their rifles.

Isn't that that Russian revolver that never really took off? I think it had jamming issues and whatnot? Wasn't it a Nagant? I know they are more known for their rifles.
I'm not sure I'd say "...never really took off??" Approximately 2,000,000 made over 51 years and still in some form of official service until 2009, 145 years after it was designed. Not too many handguns can claim that good of a record.

I'm not sure I'd say "...never really took off??" Approximately 2,000,000 made over 51 years and still in some form of official service until 2009, 145 years after it was designed. Not too many handguns can claim that good of a record.
They are simply rarely encountered here. So it was with the Mosin-Nagant until the late 80s.

Didn't they have a lot of jamming issues? I wasn't really talking about how many made opposed to successful design. Wish I could find that article. It's either that or I'm having a senior moment and thinking of something completely different 😆

It would be accurate to say that the gas seal feature of the Nagant revolver never took off.

The usefulness of the gas seal feature that is most often missed, is it's effectiveness with black powder. As any cap-and-ball shooter knows, the workings of a black-powder revolver get gummed up fairly quickly because of the residue blowing out of the cylinder gap and into the inner workings. The gas seal system mitigates this problem nicely. Effectiveness with a suppressor was merely an afterthought. Of course, black powder was soon replaced with smokeless right around that same time frame, making the gas seal feature a solution without a problem.

As to the Nagant revolver vs. the Mosin Nagant rifle, that's another story. Leon Nagant, a Belgian gun maker, did design the Nagant revolver, but in reality he had very little to do with the Mosin-Nagant rifle. In Russia it's simply called the Mosin, or historically the 3-line rifle.

Leon Nagant submitted a rifle design for the 1889 trials for a new Russian service rifle, as did Russian officer Sergei Mosin. Mosin's design won, but the final Mosin design incorporated some very minor features from the Nagant design. Nagant sued and collected some royalties.

The gas seal of the Nagant revolver is an interesting archaic feature. I've never heard of jamming issues inherent to the design, but the gas seal mechanism does make for a truly horrendous trigger pull.

Like the Mosin-Nagant rifle, I appreciate the Nagant revolver for the history and firearm design evolution. They obviously don't compare to modern designs, but they're still fun to shoot.

I have 2 of them, bought when they were cheap. At the prices today I could easily make a killing when I go to sell them. Never heard of any jamming issues but the double action trigger really heavy because you are not only revolving the cylinder but also moving the cylinder forward to seat the end of the cartridge into the forcing cone to create the gas seal. Single action it shoots like any other revolver. The only part that I see that could be called fragile is the long skinny firing pin.

1668275197328.png

It would be accurate to say that the gas seal feature of the Nagant revolver never took off.

The usefulness of the gas seal feature that is most often missed, is it's effectiveness with black powder. As any cap-and-ball shooter knows, the workings of a black-powder revolver get gummed up fairly quickly because of the residue blowing out of the cylinder gap and into the inner workings. The gas seal system mitigates this problem nicely. Effectiveness with a suppressor was merely an afterthought. Of course, black powder was soon replaced with smokeless right around that same time frame, making the gas seal feature a solution without a problem.

As to the Nagant revolver vs. the Mosin Nagant rifle, that's another story. Leon Nagant, a Belgian gun maker, did design the Nagant revolver, but in reality he had very little to do with the Mosin-Nagant rifle. In Russia it's simply called the Mosin, or historically the 3-line rifle.

Leon Nagant submitted a rifle design for the 1889 trials for a new Russian service rifle, as did Russian officer Sergei Mosin. Mosin's design won, but the final Mosin design incorporated some very minor features from the Nagant design. Nagant sued and collected some royalties.

The gas seal of the Nagant revolver is an interesting archaic feature. I've never heard of jamming issues inherent to the design, but the gas seal mechanism does make for a truly horrendous trigger pull.

Like the Mosin-Nagant rifle, I appreciate the Nagant revolver for the history and firearm design evolution. They obviously don't compare to modern designs, but they're still fun to shoot.
Now that you mention it, in the dim recesses of my brain I think it was the trigger pull. I'm definitely having an episode haha

Late Saturday evening, I dug out some ancient Herter's 110 grain .357 HPs bought in the 70s and loaded them into S&W .38 Spl. brass with WSP primers and 8.2 r. of Hodgdon HS-6.
What else can I do as "(s)election" results come in?

IMG_3340.JPG

Finished loading some 223 for long range. 80 grain SMK , VV N140 and new Winchester brass.
These are loaded long because the 80 SMK does not shoot well if it has to jump into the rifling.
Does not fit the magazine has to be single loaded. Which works for the Highpower 600 yard stage is
required to single load. Each powder charge is weighed on the RCBS Chargemaster. And bullet seated
on my Dillon 550. I don't know if weighing each charge is an advantage or not. It may be just a
physiological advantage?:s0015:
1668430250769.png
Now I too need to reload some 38 special.

Late Saturday evening, I dug out some ancient Herter's 110 grain .357 HPs bought in the 70s and loaded them into S&W .38 Spl. brass with WSP primers and 8.2 r. of Hodgdon HS-6.
What else can I do as "(s)election" results come in?

View attachment 1311730
My answer to everything.....
Keep reloading.
Elections, sunshine, rain, night time and days that end in a "y". Days that I am alive and breathing......
Keep reloading.......

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads