JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Did some shooting today. Twice on the 308 I had a chambered round fail to fire and extract. Once on the .223 also. These are my reloads I'm shooting and they all case gauge just fine. I might not be lubing the rifle correctly, or my rounds could be tight. I probably shot 200-300 rounds and had a problems on two or three.

I'm using frog lube, but will go to a normal oil next time. Maybe that might help ejections.
Does the FTF/FTE have a primer strike?

Same brass since you were 16? You're kind of old I'm just saying:p. That never dull is actually an aluminum polishing product. I used to use it on truck wheels when I was a younger fella and wanted to make my Peterbilt wheels shiny. I kind of shy away from that stuff for my cartridge brass. I usually get something specific for brass to polish with(not brasso it has ammonia). If it works for you, why not though? That Cabela's brass polish works really well even if you're doing it by hand. Smells rather pleasant as well. A tumbler really isn't necessary but it is pretty doggone handy. Especially if you're doing a ton of something like 9 mm. I used to do more bottleneck rifle stuff and I don't think I did 99% of that in a tumbler I did most of it by hand just like that. You just don't shoot as much of that as handgun. I have reloaded and reshot dirty handgun cartridges by the thousands but I have to admit I have to clean my press and dies a lot less if I put a little extra effort into the brass. I've got clean brass right now that will probably never see the press before I die.
Yes, same brass, lol. I just use those for my cast bullet loads and they're holding up great.
I remember reading about barrel maker Harry M. Pope shooting one piece of brass like 200,000 times but he didn't size at all.
I hear you about that wadding and stuff.. I got whatever was left on there with hot hot soapy water etc. right after.
👍

Did some shooting today. Twice on the 308 I had a chambered round fail to fire and extract. Once on the .223 also. These are my reloads I'm shooting and they all case gauge just fine. I might not be lubing the rifle correctly, or my rounds could be tight. I probably shot 200-300 rounds and had a problems on two or three.

I'm using frog lube, but will go to a normal oil next time. Maybe that might help ejections.
That frog lube turns to glue in the cold.. good call on changing to something else.

Pheasant Death. Fiocchi green hull 20ga, 1oz tungsten nickel alloy #6. Got these two black roosters today. Taxidermist is going to be very happy.

AA8DB97E-A89E-4663-9AC8-AC8CB436338C.jpeg tempImageLR2SAI.png

Last Edited:
Yes it does. The primers strikes but fails to fire.
Are you sure your primer is seated properly. That can cause some issues. The other thing I would say is since they are bottleneck is the shoulder bumped back sufficiently to allow the round to completely chamber? You might be getting a light primer strike because the round isn't fully in battery. Sometimes that will cause a failure to eject when you pull the bolt back. The extractor slips over the rim because it hasn't gotten a good purchase on the brass. Two things to look at.

AR's I presume? On all my DI AR's I use a good bit of oil the BCG and have not had a problem so you may have a few reloads out of spec.
I have a buddy that bought some reloads online and the whole 100 pack was out of spec and the problems were failure to fire and failure to eject problems. He had to mortar a bunch to extract them.

AA3D6709-7E44-44E2-9B05-E0AD11DC7546.jpeg 8F3D3809-6F06-41AF-9805-B91A92A21019.jpeg

That frog lube turns to glue in the cold.. good call on changing to something else.
@Snip this is worth looking at also. Viscosity can cause issues when it gets cold. I usually use hoppes or tetra grease in the summer but in the winter I pretty much stick to rem oil because it's thin. It depends on the temperature variations in your area. I live in Northern Nevada so it's one extreme to the other.

AR's I presume? On all my DI AR's I use a good bit of oil the BCG and have not had a problem so you may have a few reloads out of spec.
I have a buddy that bought some reloads online and the whole 100 pack was out of spec and the problems were failure to fire and failure to eject problems. He had to mortar a bunch to extract them.

View attachment 1315851 View attachment 1315852
Yes, on ARs. My reloads fit the case gauge just fine. The ones pictured look good. I could set the shoulder back a couple thousand more.

Yes, on ARs. My reloads fit the case gauge just fine. The ones pictured look good. I could set the shoulder back a couple thousand more.
A good thing to check that some don't always do is measure the neck lenght. Some people are only measuring the OAL of the case, if the case OAL is good but th neck is too long that can cause it as well. I've had that happen to me on a few 223 rounds, most the guages I've noticed don't account for neck length, only if it's correct from shoulder to butt, so I measure the necks if they seem to long. If the shoulder is pushed back to far it will lengthen the neck.

Enclosed is the velocity chart and standard deviation graph of H335 and Hornday 53gr VMax bullets. Somehow I missed 25.5gr. I used a ProChrono and didn't manage to shoot it! Win!

Hornady H335 with a 53gr bullet will start at recommended 24gr and 3060ft/s. Ends up at 26gr and 3300fps. I'm not seeing the expected velocities. Hodgdon does use a 24" barrel at 1:12 and I'm using an 18" at 1:8. Maybe that's the big difference.

velocity chart.png chart_h335.png

Last Edited:
Enclosed is the velocity chart and standard deviation graph of H335 and Hornday 53gr VMax bullets. Somehow I missed 25.5gr. I used a ProChrono and didn't manage to shoot it! Win!

Hornady H335 with a 53gr bullet will start at recommended 24gr and 3060ft/s. Ends up at 26gr and 3300fps. I'm not seeing the expected velocities. Hodgdon does use a 24" barrel at 1:12 and I'm using an 18" at 1:8. Maybe that's the big difference.

View attachment 1316000 View attachment 1316002
Gotta compare apples to apples.
A
That's why I don't really take all the information listed as fact, they are guidelines only because the components and barrel length vary to ours.

That being said I start my ladder tests at 10% over the starting point but I rarely go over max unless my groups are shrinking at the upper scale or primers are flattening.

Gotta compare apples to apples.
A
That's why I don't really take all the information listed as fact, they are guidelines only because the components and barrel length vary to ours.
Their information listed is what they chose to print from a single result they got. With their barrel. Even if it was in your model gun you shouldn't expect results to be identical. All they've done for you in that data is give you a load that is more than likely, to be safe. Even then, Your Mileage May Vary

Got bored last night and loaded more 69g HPBT-Match rounds at different COAL to hopefully find that sweet spot/load.
23g H322, CCI450 primers,PMC one shot brass
2.240, 2.2425, 2.245".
H322 is an extruded powder according to Hodgdon. How does that flow through a volumemetric powder measure like a Dillon? I have IMR3031 and pull to pull the weight is off consistently due to the big ole cylinders of powder.

Still doing case prep on .223 brass. Have three drills set up. One for trimming, second for deburring, and third for chamfering the inside of the case neck. I do a couple hundred at a time or until my hands start getting sore and weak.

After doing about 500 of these, really liking the looks of the Giraud Tri-Way Trimmer. Might be time for an x-mas present for myself. Pretty sure my hands will thank me for it.

H322 is an extruded powder according to Hodgdon. How does that flow through a volumemetric powder measure like a Dillon? I have IMR3031 and pull to pull the weight is off consistently due to the big ole cylinders of powder.
For powder loading on pistols I use a powder drop and check every five for consistency.
Rifle charging is a whole different ball game for me. I like to have close to exact repetitive charges and they only way to do that is to use my RCBS chargemaster to dispense every charge.
Sure it slows the numbers loaded quite a bit but I have the drive to strive for accurate ammo.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top