JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How do you handle the large/small primers while decapping or loading 45ACP?
It's all in the sorting, first I deprime and tumble all the 45acp culling out anything that isn't right. Then I separate the nickel from the brass and then separate the large and small primers per the case colors. It takes a while to do it this way but the end result is I've got brass that runs nice thru the presses. This last batch was something like 15,000 cases

It's all in the sorting, first I deprime and tumble all the 45acp culling out anything that isn't right. Then I separate the nickel from the brass and then separate the large and small primers per the case colors. It takes a while to do it this way but the end result is I've got brass that runs nice thru the presses. This last batch was something like 15,000 cases
What is your source for primers?

Loaded 50 rounds of .223 with 55 gr Nosler Varmageddons and 24.0 gr of IMR-3031 to test out my new Lee seating die. Not happy with the seating die that's came with my Lyman set, and my Hornady seater keeps jamming on me. The Lee seems to work better. Although the range results in my bolt gun still favor the Hornady 50 gr SPSX and 26.0 gr of Ramshot TAC.

Did a mold-modding project I thought I'd share. I got a new 929 ( 8 shot Smith and Wesson revolver for competition, uses moonclipped 9mm Luger ammo) and wanted to load something that works well for Speed Steel, and ICORE matches. For Icore, it needs to help with fast reloads. When I was running my 625 ( .45acp, 6 rounds) I found a bullet mold that dropped pretty decent 225 grain slugs with a cannelure, which if you taper crimp a little harder into, makes the thing drop right into the cylinder. Also helps with not having bullets back out under recoil and lock up the gun. So I hunted around, and nobody seems to make a .357 diameter 120-140 grain round nose bullet with a cannelure, or a mold for the same. I ended up getting a couple of Lee molds for 150 grain, .358 round nose bullets, with cannelure, off Midway, on sale. Too long to load for 9mm, in my opinion, due to taking up way too much room in the case, but a bit of work on the mill, and 2.5 mm off the mold, and they give me what I need. 127.5 grains, and all the needed features to make "revolver only" loads. Took me a minute to figure out how to get the flycut pattern on the top, but it's important for letting the air escape so the mold fills properly. One of the two I didn't get the pattern deep enough, and it didn't fill quite right, so I recut it deeper. The photo is of a finished mold.

IMG_0143.JPG

@Lesliet I kknow you've got this figured out already but somebody must make molds like what you want. If you go to rim Rock bullets in their cowboy section the have both 125 gr TC's and 125gr RNFP's with crimp groves.

Finally decided to get the new to me RCBS Chargemaster fired up after months of loading pistol rounds.
I weighed each charge (116 rounds) with 25g CFE223, CCI 450 primers and Wideners 55g FMJ pills. This session worked great on the Lee Turret press, all case prep and priming was done months before, charge, seat then light crimp.
79CF3F9B-E8C0-4503-B7B0-E1FEEFAF5E8F.jpeg

DB56C26D-05D8-414F-975A-CE4E04FB7F18.jpeg

Finally decided to get the new to me RCBS Chargemaster fired up after months of loading pistol rounds.
I weighed each charge (116 rounds) with 25g CFE223, CCI 450 primers and Wideners 55g FMJ pills. This session worked great on the Lee Turret press, all case prep and priming was done months before, charge, seat then light crimp.
View attachment 1161297

View attachment 1161298
So when are you going to get out and shoot those? I'd like to load more, but I need to run 40 through the Swede at four different powder weights first to see what works best.

Then I don't know if I should keep loading and shoot what I load, or shoot more factory rounds to make more empty brass to load.
Conundrum.

@Lesliet I kknow you've got this figured out already but somebody must make molds like what you want. If you go to rim Rock bullets in their cowboy section the have both 125 gr TC's and 125gr RNFP's with crimp groves.
That's just it, though... I wanted round nose. Not truncated cone, or rnfp. Just a nice, pointy ogive shape.

So when are you going to get out and shoot those? I'd like to load more, but I need to run 40 through the Swede at four different powder weights first to see what works best.

Then I don't know if I should keep loading and shoot what I load, or shoot more factory rounds to make more empty brass to load.
Conundrum.
I'm planning on getting out tomorrow if the weather permits. I've got to get my 1 8x24 Vortex sighted in ASAP, I've had it mounted for 3 months. :eek::eek::eek:

As you know Mike, I'm brass rich. :D

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads