JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
More .38 Special 148 gr hbwc's, for the 642 of course…
F74974F3-246E-4F7A-9755-D7655F4D57E8.jpeg

I was able to get out and do some 9mm testing yesterday with my buddy @Thomas_Gunne at his pistol range.
The ladder test consisted of 3.6 grains to 4g of Tightgroup in .2g progressions with 124g Montana gold JHP's. Thanks @misterarman.
I would have never thought that the lower loads would've shot the best, 3.6 & 3.8g did great. The max load did not show over presser or flattened primers so there's that.
This test was shot through my new Springfield XDM9 full-size pistol that I acquired last month.
Once I got the auto desk set at 3.6-3.7g consistency I loaded up 72 rounds in short order on the Pro1000. I know I said I switched the pistol and rifle loading around but it was just awkward loading pistol on the turret for some ungodly reason.
I'm gonna fill this coffee can up with this recipe.

View attachment 1167383View attachment 1167394
Love your "high tech polymer storage receptacle" 🤣!

Working on loads for the 929, tonight, mainly just practice ammo for speed steel & ICORE. Had some 125 grain, .357 TC with cannelure from Bang & Clang, and the HS-6 did really well on the ladder test at 5.2. Accurate, and loads into the cylinder pretty well in moonclips for TC stuff.

IMG_0150.JPG IMG_0152.JPG

Last Edited:
I got my molds made up, and a bunch of the ogive .357 slugs made, I just need to coat them, and make a bunch more. ~128 grains is what they came out to. The Bang & Clangs are just to hold me for practice ammo til I catch up on casting/coating.

Finally found some modern powder to load up some .38 special.

View attachment 1169536
I had a can just like that, some years ago. It worked fine with loads reduces from the maximum I found in old manuals. If I tried pushing them anywhere close to what the book showed, they had signs of over-pressure. I figured maybe it had dried or something over the years. IIRC I used it up in moderate .44 mag loads. That is one OLD can.

I also happened to score some old Bullseye powder last year just for the tin but it's unopened. :D

Here it is. Use or put on shelf??? Decisions decisions decisions. :oops::oops::oops:

View attachment 1173117
I'd love to find an old can of Hercules anything. For the mantle, more than likely. Where I grew up, in the Salt Lake Valley, we had the Hercules Power Co in West Valley at Bacchus. There was a ton of mining that went on in the nearby mountains. The huge Kennecott Copper Mine was nearby. Back then the old dynamite boxes that people would have in their basements, barns and garages would say "Hercules Powder" on them. I grew up with the fishing lure called a Hercules Spinner, not Dupont Spinner.

I was attempting to tidy up my reloading room this afternoon and stumbled upon this:
373A8FF8-9B63-4DDD-9AF7-0B66D8B07544.jpeg
My very first box (empty now, of course) of centerfire rifle bullets for my first centerfire rifle, a .243 Win. That price was a decent deal over 40 years ago. It doesn't seem THAT long ago. :eek:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top