JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think you're supposed to start and finish in the same day. At least, that's how I do it.
With my bad heart, my bad back and the tall grass - not going to happen in one day. I mow for 10 minutes then take a break for an hour. Repeat that several times a day.

1715818703503.jpeg

^^ That was about a week ago.

With my bad heart, my bad back and the tall grass - not going to happen in one day. I mow for 10 minutes then take a break for an hour. Repeat that several times a day.

View attachment 1882204

^^ That was about a week ago.
Sorry, I wouldn't have made a joke about if if I had known. :oops:

Sounds like you have a much bigger yard than I do. Looks like it, too, from your photo. In fact, your place looks much more inviting than my place.

Sorry, I wouldn't have made a joke about if if I had known. :oops:

Sounds like you have a much bigger yard than I do. Looks like it, too, from your photo. In fact, your place looks much more inviting than my place.
That pic is not my proper "yard" - that is one of my forest/meadows near my shop. That is the area I would mow with a tractor. I mowed that one line with my push mower so I would have an area to walk thru to get to my neighbor's shop (the buildings in the background) and house without tripping over stuff hidden in the grass, and without having to go out to the road.

I have about 16 acres, half of it is on the other side of a gully and I don't mow or maintain that - it was clear cut about 6 years ago, then replanted.

This is the "meadow" that I have just below my deck to the north of my house - I was standing on my deck when I took this photo:

1715820808516.jpeg

That dog is my neighbor's Rhodesian Ridgeback that I was taking for a walk and letting him explore my property. That meadow is one of the places I often see deer coming thru - they like the grass.

Today I finished mowing my "lawn".

When I started about a week ago (a day or two after it stopped raining) it was knee high. By the time I finished it was waist high. My backyard is kind of a proper lawn - mostly flat. But the grass has a lot of the wild grass in it, and it is lumpy. It really should be removed and replanted with proper sod or at least reseeded with proper grass seed. The lawn at the entrance of the driveway is an area I killed off from weeds when I moved here, made it flat (but sloped up) and seeded, so it is much easier to mow.

The wild grass is thick stalks and grows high fast - so I wind up bending it over with the conventional mower. I really should mow it with a flail mower first but my flail mower is broken.

Anyway I wanted to get the grass near the house manageable so I can keep it short during the summer.

I may have to hire someone to come in and mow the meadows around the house as it takes too long to mow with the walk behind flail mower. But I will decide how to handle that come Aug when the grass starts to dry out and fire danger is increasing.
You need some grazing animals. Preferably something that tastes good.

The thing about nuclear missiles is that they can undershoot/overshoot & veer off course - rather easily. especially those from third world countries. US missiles are purportedly quite accurate, but I would not count on the accuracy of nukes from Russia or China, and especially N. Korea, being so accurate that those meant for Portland or Seattle, that they do not miss by tens or even hundreds of miles - in any direction.

IIRC, Portland is a secondary target - i.e., theoretically not meant to be hit in the first wave. Seattle/Puget Sound region, with its many military installations and being a primary/major commercial port for the west coast, is a primary first wave target.

I have also read that at least some Russian missiles still target outdated targets - such as decommissioned silos in the midwest

Caveat - IIRC, at least one person somewhere, maybe here, has disputed one or both of these assertions. Either way, I would not count on a being a mere 50 miles from a target as reducing the impact of a nuclear exchange. As the old saying goes, "close enough" counts only in horse shoes, hand grenades and nuclear devices.

OTOH - I do prefer to be upwind of targets rather than downwind, and preferably have elevated terrain (hills/mountains/etc.) between me and the targets, rather than be line of sight.

But *WAIT* There's MORE....

I won't disagree that for many brand/models, there is planned obsolescence.

I once was reading a comic strip that showed the main character inside his home in his living room, watching tv. The scene view was from outside the home, looking through a window, and the front of the tv was visible and the back of the character, so the character had his back to the window.

Then a second character showed up outside with a pistol. The second character tried to shoot the first character through the window, but missed him. Instead, he shot the TV which totally exploded in front of the first character.

"Damn that planned obsolescence!"

Howdy. Barging in for a quick question. Any ideas for a SHTF gas mask? Not cheap, Not too expensive?
I want to complete everything for a just in case situation...
Thanks
I picked this up on sale a couple years ago:

I see various iterations on sale from time to time. I have not used it, but I probably will this summer when I paint my deck.

ETA - saw the dentist yesterday - cleaning and replacing a small filling.

Last Edited:
Howdy. Barging in for a quick question. Any ideas for a SHTF gas mask? Not cheap, Not too expensive?
I want to complete everything for a just in case situation...
Thanks
Sportsmans Guide has Israeli surplus masks, new with filter. NATO standard $76.50.

4 pack NATO filters $36.

Personally *I* don't see the point beyond normal "regular" shop type particulate masks. But that's me...

Upcoming Events

Good News!! The Carson, WA shows are back!!
Carson, WA
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top