JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I don't do one shot on anything. If they are moving away, I'm putting another bullet in it, at least. For one thing, I'm not experienced enough to see, or hear, a hit at distance... So unless I happen to see it hump up, or see fur fly, I'm not sure I hit it. For another, I never wanted to track an animal very far. My buddies are very experienced with finding downed animals by the smallest blood trail, and then locating by smell. I'm not that good at it at all. That's another reason why I hunt with buddies, I need the help!!

So, here's what I've gleaned so far. Many hunting rifles will get the job done, so invest in a good name brand scope. The caliber size is really more about pick your poison, as several will bring down a deer and maybe even an elk. Most have mentioned 30-06, .308, .270, .284, 7mm-08, and 6.5 Creedmoor as good choices for deer and possibly elk. I am aware there are bigger calibers, like the 45-70, but the 45-70 is way too big for me at this point. I'm not planning to go hunting grizzly or moose, so I think anything for that type of game is beyond my scope of interest. I must admit that the 7mm-08 and the 6.5 Creedmoor are in my favorites list for low recoil and they will do about the same job as the others (excluding the 45-70 and 30-06). I could almost say those two don't appear to be that far behind the 30-06, but some of you would want to differ. Several on this forum have influenced me to think of a bolt-action rifle as a possibility. Frankly, all bolt-action rifles have a same ol, same ol look to them, but, then, maybe pretty isn't everything! I'd rather have a bolt-action that brings a deer home, than a pretty lever-action that belongs over the fireplace mantle. BTW, I went to Cabelas yesterday and have cooled on the BAR, I just didn't like the feel of it. I can't say what it is, but the rifle has to have a good feel to me; has to feel like it fits me! I think much of it may be the weight and balance when I hold it. So, I will keep enjoying the adventure of looking until the right thing comes along. I don't mind telling you guys that I have an eventual uphill challenge convincing my wife of the need for a deer rifle, when hunting season is still several months away! I know I need to practice with it, but I guess ya'll know there ain't any logic in guns!

Damn, I need to learn to argue better!!! She has five boots for winters, although I don't begrudge her having that many. At least that's a starting place!

Be thankful, my Wife's shoes collection has its own freakin room! :eek::D:cool:
Its all good though, she looks good, and no one looks at me!
Of course my guns have their own room too! Lol:D

Be thankful, my Wife's shoes collection has its own freakin room! :eek::D:cool:
Its all good though, she looks good, and no one looks at me!
Of course my guns have their own room too! Lol:D
Geez, a dedicated shoe room!!! I guess I have no complaints! There's the issue: it comes down to looks, and a gun never wins!!!

Lever action has a cool factor. not sure if its been brought up... because of its tubular magazine you have to have round nose bullets or soft tipped so the pointed tips don't set off the bullet in front of it with the recoil. 45/70 has the balistics of rainbow.
BAR is just too heavy to lug around... that can be said about any Bigger caliber semi. Even AR-10 that's chambered in 6.5 or 308 is going too be heavier than a lite bolt action.
If you don't feel the need for 06, dont get it, and 45/70 is totally different animal.
I'd also stay away from entry combo package deals unless it has a nikon or burris scope on it. I think savages and remington's and some others provide the cheapest of cheap scopes on them.
Shoulder lots of guns and play with the action and don't pay attention to price ... up to a point of course.
To me RAR (ruger American) as popular it is, its action always felt like shi* to me.
the 6.5 or 7-08 will serve you fine from deer, to elk to moose.
Shot placement over displacement

Lever action has a cool factor. not sure if its been brought up... because of its tubular magazine you have to have round nose bullets or soft tipped so the pointed tips don't set off the bullet in front of it with the recoil. 45/70 has the balistics of rainbow.
BAR is just too heavy to lug around... that can be said about any Bigger caliber semi. Even AR-10 that's chambered in 6.5 or 308 is going too be heavier than a lite bolt action.
If you don't feel the need for 06, dont get it, and 45/70 is totally different animal.
I'd also stay away from entry combo package deals unless it has a nikon or burris scope on it. I think savages and remington's and some others provide the cheapest of cheap scopes on them.
Shoulder lots of guns and play with the action and don't pay attention to price ... up to a point of course.
To me RAR (ruger American) as popular it is, its action always felt like shi* to me.

This is where the Winchester 1895 and Browning variant some in, they have a conventional vertical magazine and can be had in "Modern" calibers!

I grew up in a really great time with all the cowboy movies, and a lever-action does have a totally cool factor!!!

Tikka T3 Lite stainless or T3x Lite stainless
7mm-08 or 6.5 Creed
Talley one piece light low mounts
Leupold VX2 3-9x40 CDS
Limbsaver recoil pad (if T3)
Whichever factory ammo shoots best

All you need.

P

Tikka T3 Lite stainless or T3x Lite stainless
7mm-08 or 6.5 Creed
Talley one piece light low mounts
Leupold VX2 3-9x40 CDS
Limbsaver recoil pad (if T3)
Whichever factory ammo shoots best

All you need.

P

It's so simple And easy but people won't listen.
My Only suggestion would be dnz rings as option #2 and possibly higher mag scope. My 270 has that exact scope you mentioned, and when I started to shoot at 600+ yards I wished for maybe little more power like 12X.

Hmmm, not sure I'm anywhere close to placing a shot yet. I'm hitting the target, with a few in the center, using my iron sights. I guess in time I'll move up to a scope, and my success will center around a superior scope! Sorry fellas, but deer hunting sounds like a lot of luck (as far as I am concerned). I have been shooting for less than a month. I have to figure distance, trajectory, wind, etc, which only comes with experience. So, I need a lot more ammo to practice up!

Right now, Sir, you are doing way too much 'thinking', and just not enough 'doing'.

The more 'doing' you do, the less amount of 'thinking about it' you'll be doing, if you get my drift?

Do you have nobody with whom you can share shooting time with a variety of different types and styles of gun and calibres? If not, you are seriously missing out.

Keep in mind the OP is inexperienced. He's not shooting past 200 yards for a looong time, maybe ever. He also has a budget constraint.

P
So, right. I am not in a position to buy yet. Simply, thinking for the future. If I could buy today, it would be 6.5 CM. I have only been out shooting four times--twice with my shotgun (clays) and twice with my .22 (paper targets). I am nowhere close to even shooting at 50 yards.

Right now, Sir, you are doing way too much 'thinking', and just not enough 'doing'.

The more 'doing' you do, the less amount of 'thinking about it' you'll be doing, if you get my drift?

Do you have nobody with whom you can share shooting time with a variety of different types and styles of gun and calibres? If not, you are seriously missing out.
Yes, some have said I am over-thinking things. Right now, I may be six months to a year out before I buy a deer rifle. My son is a shooting instructor in the military and he suggested that I start out with a 30-30. I am considering my options. The 6.5 cm or 7mm-08 seems to have modest recoil and a rifle I could use effectively for quite some time. Those two have more versatility than the 30-30. No, I don't currently have anyone to shoot with, but I probably could benefit from classes and tutelage. I have practiced once with an AR 15 and a Ruger mini-30, and I did okay; actually, shot better with those than my own .22 so far. Someone helped me sight-in my .22 and, finally, they determined my sights are defective. So, I am contacting Ruger.

once you get bolt action in high power caliber like the 6.5 ...200 yard shots will be comparable to your 50.
Not saying get a 6-24x scope but sometimes the higher magnification for paper punching is nice .
If you're that scared of 50+ yards, get a 223 to learn on and save a bunch of money on ammo to learn on

I don't mind telling you guys that I have an eventual uphill challenge convincing my wife of the need for a deer rifle, when hunting season is still several months away! I know I need to practice with it, sight it in, get comfortable using it, learn its quirks, figure out what round you're gonna be comfortable with and build muscle memory of the gun but I guess ya'll know there ain't any logic in guns!

Fixed that for you.

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top