JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Interesting ... I Hunt with pre-64 Winchesters and 1 post 64 300 Win mag and they are recoil tame compared to some Ruger and weatherby rifles, and sporterized military guns I have shot . I Traded off a Kimber 84M in .338 Federal because it kicked like a mule. Traded off a .338 Ruger M77 that hurt like hell to shoot.
I forgot the disclaimer YMMV. :cool:

Moose are not as tough as elk in my opinion and a 270 or 30-06 is plenty. My brother in law has a recordbook Alaska buff that he shot with a 30-06. Bullets designed to penetrate to vitals are all that is required along with reasonable shot placement. I like heavy for caliber swift a-frames for game like this.

I've hunted Florida to Alaska , small game and Big , Dangerous Game, and I still maintain that a larger diameter Bullet creates a larger impact and wound channel and so even a marginal kill zone shot becomes effective in stopping an animal like Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear , etc.

Not saying you're wrong, because whatever you're doing works for you.

IMO, placement trumps all. Then comes bullet design, then far behind comes cartridge.

Give this a watch. Randy has killed more bulls than I have ever seen, so he has credibility as far as I'm concerned. Pay particular attention at the 1:14 mark.

And yes, most people never feel the recoil (or even hear the muzzle blast, for that matter) when shooting at game. But what about practice sessions? What about all the trigger time it takes to become proficient? What about practicing from field positions (I've never killed a deer or elk off a bench) at a variety of distances so you know how far you can consistently shoot?

You feel and hear every one of those shots. Every one. And if they beat you up you won't practice enough, or at all. Worse yet, your form will suffer and you'll flinch. Then when you do get the opportunity you'll miss, or put a shot in his guts, because you'll anticipate the recoil.

Deer, elk, moose, they ain't ironclad. Put a good bullet through the lungs and they won't go far.

P

I have a large selection of guns and calibers I shoot and can hunt with. I use calibers that are pretty specific to what I'm hunting.

Coyotes and Wolves get .223, 22-250, .222 ,.243 range.
Whitetail deer get .243,.257 Roberts, 270, 30-30, 30/06 , and lowered velocity .300 H&H loads (Custom)
Sheep and Mountain goats get .270 , 7mm Mag,30/06, 300 H&H or win mag.
Elk gets 30/06, .300 H&H or Win Mag.
Moose and Grizzly Bear gets 30/06 .300 H&H, 300 win mag, .338 Mag, (unless i am in thicker Brush and closer shot then its 45-70 for grizzly)
Black Bear gets 270, 7mm, 30/06 , 300 H&H or 300 Win Mag.
Hogs get .30 Carbine, 30/06, 300 H&H, 300 win mag, .35 whelen
Buffalo gets .300 H&H, 300 win mag, 375 H&H, .458 win mag or 50-140 Sharps
Small Game and varmints get .17HMR, .22 LR, .22 mag, .223
Cars or Busses , or Elephants get .50 BMG

I have a large selection of guns and calibers I shoot and can hunt with. I use calibers that are pretty specific to what I'm hunting.

Whitetail deer get 30/06
Sheep and Mountain goats get 30/06
Elk gets 30/06
Moose and Grizzly Bear gets 30/06
Black Bear gets 30/06
Hogs get 30/06

I'm seeing a consistent pattern.

Keep in mind the OP is looking for one hunting rifle for starters.

In my experience with deer, elk, and antelope, the .30-06 won't do anything the 7mm-08 will do, at the same distance, with remarkably less recoil.

I can't speak to bears or moose as I haven't hunted them.

P

Not saying you're wrong, because whatever you're doing works for you.

IMO, placement trumps all. Then comes bullet design, then far behind comes cartridge.

Give this a watch. Randy has killed more bulls than I have ever seen, so he has credibility as far as I'm concerned. Pay particular attention at the 1:14 mark.

And yes, most people never feel the recoil (or even hear the muzzle blast, for that matter) when shooting at game. But what about practice sessions? What about all the trigger time it takes to become proficient? What about practicing from field positions (I've never killed a deer or elk off a bench) at a variety of distances so you know how far you can consistently shoot?

You feel and hear every one of those shots. Every one. And if they beat you up you won't practice enough, or at all. Worse yet, your form will suffer and you'll flinch. Then when you do get the opportunity you'll miss, or put a shot in his guts, because you'll anticipate the recoil.

Deer, elk, moose, they ain't ironclad. Put a good bullet through the lungs and they won't go far.

P
30 Years of living in the wilderness and hunting Alaska and surviving Charging moose and bears and herds of Caribou taught me a lot. I have Hides and racks to prove it . I never Lost an animal I shot , and several died within 10Ft of me at a full charge...Lots of Fun and Adrenalin ! I'm not a City boy... I Lived the Life.
You can Pad your shoulder or use a good shooting jacket on the bench if recoil is a problem.
You can practice with lighter loads.

Think of all the money you would save if you just got rid of all the useless calibers and used the 50 bmg for evereything.:cool:

On a more serious note if a guy knew he was going to hunt everything in the states and only wanted one rifle he could do worse than a 338 win mag. My Ak bro in law seems to get by with his 30-06 for everything but I would like a bit more leeway with Brown bear myself. 0p how many more times are you going to see 30-06 brought up before you just go buy one?:D

In my experience with deer, elk, and antelope, the .30-06 won't do anything the 7mm-08 will do, at the same distance, with remarkably less recoil.

P
I have Killed everything with a 30/06 but wanted more for larger game so I went to 300 win mag for more impact energy and flatter trajectory shooting longer ranges , especially when hunting rivers / gravel bars that were open.Eventually found the 300H&H Magnum i looked for for 20 years (made in the month and year I was Born) and it is my primary hunting rifle. I can shoot 110 to 220 gr bullets and as such I have a better selection than you do in 7mm bullet choices.
I'm not a 7mm fan

Think of all the money you would save if you just got rid of all the useless calibers and used the 50 bmg for evereything.:cool:

On a more serious note if a guy knew he was going to hunt everything in the states and only wanted one rifle he could do worse than a 338 win mag. My Ak bro in law seems to get by with his 30-06 for everything but I would like a bit more leeway with Brown bear myself. 0p how many more times are you going to see 30-06 brought up before you just go buy one?:D
I had .338 Mag and the recoil is way more Brutal than a 300 mag.

30 Years of living in the wilderness and hunting Alaska and surviving Charging moose and bears and herds of Caribou taught me a lot. I have Hides and racks to prove it . I never Lost an animal I shot , and several died within 10Ft of me at a full charge...Lots of Fun and Adrenalin ! I'm not a City boy... I Lived the Life.
You can Pad your shoulder or use a good shooting jacket on the bench if recoil is a problem.
You can practice with lighter loads.

Most of us don't do what you do, so most of us don't need what you need.

I practice the way I hunt, so I usually wear my hunting pack during field sessions. A shoulder pad will change my LOP, which changes my form, which affects my accuracy. Given that accuracy (aka placement) trumps all, I'm not willing to make that a variable.

Same idea for practicing with lighter loads. How will I know where my hunting shells hit at 400 yards if I'm not shooting them during practice?

I practice the way I hunt, so that when the opportunity comes (and how often does that happen for most of us?) I'm ready.

P

P

I would pretty much agree with that statement. However, when it comes to larger non-dangerous game like elk, moose, and American bison the 30-06 has the ability to drive a heavier bullet to speeds that will facilitate some raking shots and still get vitals. But it all boils down to knowing your limitations and I would absolutely hunt elk and moose with a 7mm-08.

I would pretty much agree with that statement. However, when it comes to larger non-dangerous game like elk, moose, and American bison the 30-06 has the ability to drive a heavier bullet to speeds that will facilitate some raking shots and still get vitals. But it all boils down to knowing your limitations and I would absolutely hunt elk and moose with a 7mm-08.
Moose is very Dangerous game and Bison Can be as well. A moose will try and gore you with his rack and both bulls and Cows will stomp you to death . Bison will run right over you. It is illegal to hunt Buffalo in Alaska with anything below a 200 grain or larger bullet, which retains at least 2000 foot-pounds of energy at 100 yards. A .30-06 with a 220 grain bullet is about the minimal weapon that meets this specification.Muzzle-loading rifles must be .54 caliber or larger, or at least .45 caliber with a 300 grain or larger elongated slug. Further, for safety reasons, those hunting with muzzleloaders must also have within easy reach a smokeless powder rifle meeting the centerfire rifle requirements listed above !

For the OP:
Whichever gun you end up with, I would suggest doubling up on hearing protection to start with at the bench. Use a pair of foam plugs under good headphone style muffs. It will help you develop good habits with a new gun and filters out extra noise to allow concentration.
Also I bring a dish towel for draping over the shoulder when introducing larger calibers to newer shooters. Or using a .338 at the bench. :eek:

And I also think that the $350 scoped '06 is a great suggestion and a terrific deal.

I have shot several Moose in Ak and a bunch of Elk in the lower 48. I still say Elk are tougher. Maybe my perception is skewed by my somewhat limited experience with Yukon moose but it is my experience. Moose just don't respond to a fatal shot as quick due to their enormous circulatory system. Elk are definitely smarter than Moose. I think one reason Moose can be dangerous is because the can't see for sheet and the let potential threats get too close and their flight or fight response gets triggered. Mother's with young can be quite nasty as well and I have been bluff charged by a Cow Moose with a calf. All memorable experiences.

P
Thanks for the short videos to watch. Enjoyed it! Also, the 7mm-08 or 6.5 Creedmoor seem close to the .308, yet they are lighter recoil; and I don't think they are that much different than the 30-06. I figure I can practice a lot cheaper with a CM and improve as a shooter with less recoil. Clearly, the 7mm-08 or CM will bring down almost any animal with a well placed shot! Most of those shots were spine, and I understand that's the better placement to a neck or head shot. The reason being that aiming for the head can result in a miss to the neck or head if the animal suddenly lifts up the head. So, here's my ignorance: why not shoot an elk two times rather than just one? Not every first shot gets it done, and I noticed the elk doesn't move much after one shot. So, why not back to back shots?

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top