JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good to know. I generally insert AR magazines in an open bolt though.
That's me to .
I rarely even use the charging handle.
In the occasion you need a top off when there is a round in the chamber is a time I can see it happening .
But if I am in a situation where having a full mag is important enough to pull out a mag that still has rounds in it put a full one back in because I need all the rounds I can have in the gun ...... I'm gunna want 30 rounds in them all too. F@&$ing first world problems

That's me to .
I rarely even use the charging handle.
In the occasion you need a top off when there is a round in the chamber is a time I can see it happening .
But if I am in a situation where having a full mag is important enough to pull out a mag that still has rounds in it put a full one back in because I need all the rounds I can have in the gun ...... I'm gunna want 30 rounds in them all too. F@&$ing first world problems

Exactly, if that situation arises I'll take the extra precautions to make sure my USGI magazines seat.
Not sayin it can't happen so my next trip to the range this will be a priority to test out.;)

Just remember, things change in a high stress situation. Not telling you to download or not, but others who've "been there" "done that" and have walked into harms way tend to know what they're talking about.

I will suggest however you test your magazines for over-insertion issues. Open the bolt, seat the mag and give it a hard rap from the bottom of the mag. If it goes up into the reciever past the magazine catch/stop, I'd relegate it to practice only, or get rid of it. So far to date I've had this happen with the ETS polymer mags and a few gen 2 Magpul magazines. Rendering your gun inoperable is unacceptable if you ever think you might use it for more than range time.

Last Edited:
Ever tapped it that hard on an open bolt? It sucks to hammer your magazine up into your upper. Have to pry it out!
No I haven't yet but it's possible no doubt especially if I am being a spaz all in a hurry . I've had an ND in my house so yeah anything is possible and I like to think of myself as safe but it was one of those muscle memory things ..... tapping the mag hard is along those lines I think . Trust me I have no delusions about the stress a gun fight can cause and I haven't been in one . I am a good fighter though it's a gift . I wont be surprised other people were dead , I'll be surprised if I'm alive lol .

Nope, I don't tend to slam mags on an open or closed bolt, just a firm push.
thumb-ish.png

The problem comes when trying to insert the fully loaded magazine on a closed bolt. Sometimes that can be difficult, as the mag doesn't want to seat all the way.

Yes that was the reason Steve gave that you may have issues inserting the magazine on a closed bolt. Especially true for HD AR since I leave the chamber empty and have a 30 round magazine loaded with 25 rounds inserted into my AR.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top