JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What is your experience with #2-1/2 primers? Are they similar to Winchester WLP?

I can buy a brick of Remington 2-1/2 primers to start reloading 44mag for a VERY good price. I originally wanted Winchester WLP since they are recommended for both standard and magnum loads. My concern is consistent & reliable ignition. I would just buy magnum but they are harder to find and expensive. I'm on a budget and won't pay over 10 cents a piece to my door.

I will start out using Ramshot True Blue and Titegroup since I already have them. I have considered adding Enforcer and/or Accurate #7 & 9. Lyman #51 DOES NOT claim magnum primers are needed for any of these powders.

The problem is the Hodgdon site uses 2-1/2 primers for most loads but specifically uses WLP primers for True Blue, Enforcer and all Accurate powders.

I can get WLP's but will take much longer to ship and will cost more.

Winchester makes a large pistol primer for "standard or magnum" loads.

As far as I can tell, Remington does make a large rifle magnum primer 9 1/2 M.
I'm not sure why they do not read magnum or 2 1/2 M. ??

I trust the powder manufacturer data the most.

https://hodgdonreloading.com shows Winchester LPP.

The Western Powders - Ramshot handbook shows the same.

I would follow the recipe or use a Magnum primer for a Magnum load.

Could a Remington 2 1/2 work in a 44mag? It should, since they are designed for the 44 Remington Magnum (close but not the same), but I would study the 44 special recipe for the powder and grain weight of the projectile and compare it to the 44 Magnum recipe for the same powder.

If Too much powder is not consumed = squib round and possible projo stuck in the barrel.

Start at the low end and work up.

Here is an interesting read:
44 Remington Mag vs 44 mag

1000004952.jpg 1000004953.jpg 1000004954.jpg 1000004956.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show