JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In a SHTF situation does high quality ammo for your AR really matter? I lean more on bulk so I don't run out. I can hit minute of man at 200 yards with the cheap stuff just as easy as the expensive stuff.

Commercial made ammunition is the real deal, I have not had any trouble at all with PMC or IMI M1193, the latter is what is in my Load Out vest.

Actually, I have Posted my Tale Several times on this Forum and have included my Basic Training experiences with the M-14s and the M-16s and my time in the CZ with the M-14, ALL of these have been long range shooting with both Rifles with the M-14 being Positive and the M-16 being a Negative. It would be nice if people would do a Search for this type of information before asking again!:):):)

FWIW, I didn't shoot well with the M16 in basic, Marksman cert...:eek:
But when they gave me a grenade, boy howdy, I was an EXPERT!!!!:D

I always load my 30 round mags with 25 rounds.
Anyway some have 26 or 28 .
But I never load 30 because if you're bolt is forward when you reload.you need a lot little wiggle roomer.

I took the "Run the Gun" class from Cerberus Training Group and we discussed this very thing. Steve the instructor said 25. I used to load 28 rounds but because of the training class I load 25 now too.

FWIW, I didn't shoot well with the M16 in basic, Marksman cert...:eek:
But when they gave me a grenade, boy howdy, I was an EXPERT!!!!:D
They do make it easier! The one I liked was the M-79,it was Truly Awesome and was much easier to make Hits with than the M-203. I was sorry to see it go because there were some Projectiles that the M-79 could handle better than the M-203. The Original M-203 wouldn't hold the Grenade in the Tube and I suggested a fix which they used but I never saw a Dime! I'm pretty sure that some Damn Engineer :mad::mad::mad: took the Credit. I was just a DUMB kid at the time and just wanted to make them work better. Now I'm guessing I could be Own Easy Street!!! And that would be Very Nice.:):):)

They do make it easier! The one I liked was the M-79,it was Truly Awesome and was much easier to make Hits with than the M-203. I was sorry to see it go because there were some Projectiles that the M-79 could handle better than the M-203. The Original M-203 wouldn't hold the Grenade in the Tube and I suggested a fix which they used but I never saw a Dime! I'm pretty sure that some Damn Engineer :mad::mad::mad: took the Credit. I was just a DUMB kid at the time and just wanted to make them work better. Now I'm guessing I could be Own Easy Street!!! And that would be Very Nice.:):):)

I should have worded my post a bit more accurate, a grenade in my hand & boy howdy....:p:p:p
I was a star baseball pitcher in Little league till high school..:p:p:p
Although I did train with the grunts down range in Colorado who were deadly with the M-209's.;)

Thanks for all that you did during your time in the service!!!:s0152:

The problem comes when trying to insert the fully loaded magazine in a closed bolt. Sometimes that can be difficult, as the mag doesn't want to seat all the way.
This does happen and I imagine in a super big hurry it happens worse . I got the habit of such an aggressive tap because it's happend to me embarrassment city . I never really considered dropping rounds because of it I did correct my behavior and that seems to have worked . Doing 28 and an aggressive tap is probably the wisest move but ..... I just can't do it . If I ever get any mags I think feel harder than normal full I just put it in the range beater pile and never buy that brand again . Lancers man , probably can run 31 in a Lancer lol

This does happen and I imagine in a super big hurry it happens worse . I got the habit of such an aggressive tap because it's happend to me embarrassment city . I never really considered dropping rounds because of it I did correct my behavior and that seems to have worked . Doing 28 and an aggressive tap is probably the wisest move but ..... I just can do it . If I ever get any mags I think feel harder than normal full I just put it in the range beater pile and never buy that brand again . Lancers man , probably can run 31 in a Lancer lol
Yes, under stress it can cause a problem.

Embarrassing for sure when you pull the trigger, BANG, and the mag falls out :D

Just be careful when slapping the bottom of the mag. If you do it TOO hard (out of habit) on an open bolt, you can cause the top round to "pop" out of the magazine and cause a jam or double feed when you hit the bolt release.

Yes, under stress it can cause a problem.

Embarrassing for sure when you pull the trigger, BANG, and the mag falls out :D

Just be careful when slapping the bottom of the mag. If you do it TOO hard (out of habit) on an open bolt, you can cause the top round to "pop" out of the magazine and cause a jam or double feed when you hit the bolt release.
I haven't seen it but I've heard tail that you can actually drive the mag into the upper in the same situation.... but I've never had any complaints about over insertion

Do tell, I have never really had that problem. I always seat them with sufficient force to make sure they seat.
It's a commonly known issue. Some magazines are more generous than others, but ALL are harder to seat when the bolt is closed.

Additionally, if the rounds are stuffed in there too tight, the bolt/buffer spring will have a harder time launching the cartridge into the chamber with sufficient force.

Dirt, lack of sufficient lubrication and other "non-perfect" situations can compound the issue.

In a high stress situation, if that mag isn't fully seated, bad things can immediately ensue...

I haven't seen it but I've heard tail that you can actually drive the mag into the upper in the same situation.... but I've never had any complaints about over insertion
Yes. I've done it.

More than once actually.

Over insertion will lock up the weapon and at a minimum will take you out of the fight for a couple minutes. Worst case scenario, it's a two man job to unstick the mag.

This is one reason for the gen-3 Magpul magazines. I've had it happen with those (gen 2 mags), and also the newer translucent ETS magazines.

Quite embarrassing when that happens too.

It's a commonly known issue. Some magazines are more generous than others, but ALL are harder to seat when the bolt is closed.

Additionally, if the rounds are stuffed in there too tight, the bolt/buffer spring will have a harder time launching the cartridge into the chamber with sufficient force.

Dirt, lack of sufficient lubrication and other "non-perfect" situations can compound the issue.

In a high stress situation, if that mag isn't fully seated, bad things can immediately ensue...

Good to know. I generally insert AR magazines in an open bolt though.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top