JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I love threads like this; they illustrate the similarities and differences between experienced loaders. We all do it a little differently, but the fundamentals are pretty much the same.

I've been feeling like something of an old timer lately, but some of you all have been loading for longer than I've been alive, and I'm not young anymore! :)

I've been feeling like something of an old timer lately, but some of you all have been loading for longer than I've been alive, and I'm not young anymore! :)
Jeez... don't be shy! Say what you really think why don't ya!

.....calling some of us older than a pharaoh's fart!!???

I bet you're fun at parties!:s0066:

:s0140:

It probably hasn't been mentioned yet ;) ... but I would say a dillon 550 is about the best bang for your buck, IMHO. Simple operation that is great for beginners and capable enough for hard core loaders. The C.S. and warranty is also something they stand behind. If you get real serious about it, accessories abound that can improve loading accuracy and production rate... and having been around for ages... used parts/equipment are readily and affordably available.

Not much to find fault with.
I'm not giving up my 550, But it's not the best tool for learning the steps, it's not the best tool for load development where I'm making 5 rounds, making a small change and another 5 rounds. It's not the best tool for making longer rifle rounds [ it does OK on 223 ]. It's not the best tool for swaging primer pockets or sizing bullets.

What it is good at is making repeatable pistol ammo after I have worked up a good load. And its really good at what it does! DR

Are you a Handloader or a Reloader? (Some of us change stripes depending on the caliber or gun.)

If you intend to be a Reloader and do it for production rate's sake, having done it as a Handloader first will allow you to trouble shoot your progressive press swiftly.

If you intend to build the very best ammo you can build (and handload for the pleasure and satisfaction and science of it), doing it as a Handloader first may allow you to see why a progressive press may not be necessary (or even appropriate) at all.
I'm a Stripe Changer!
Handloads are for my hunting rifles, reloads for most of my handgun rounds.
"I spent more time on case prep than I ever do on the actual act of loading."

Bingo.

Those that don't are missing something (or things) significant. By far, most reloading "problems" can be traced to case prep.

Progressive presses unfortunately encourage (for some) a level of neglect in this regard..
Yes! Pouring powder and seating bullets is insignificant in the overall time required to assemble each round.

Speed of assembling rounds is a huge draw for many when considering progressive presses. It's quite possible time consuming steps get ignored because "it can't be THAT important".

So many great replies. I want to thank all of you who have contributed to the greater understanding. I can now go forward with confirmed Ideas of starting small and slow compared to the end goal of just buying "The One" press and thinking I've got it all under control.
I come from a technical background and have many hats I wear for doing things in life. I look forward to all the trial and non-errors to find the perfect load. Gives me more reason to go shoot. I feel like this post could serve so many others but may get lost over time.
I hope to attend some of the posted events and meet some of you in the future. Also Shooting where I live in Western Washington is near impossible without driving 20+ miles and that is if its not raining or muddy. I will post on other threads when I might be ready to go shoot and hopefully meet up with some of you.

Also Shooting where I live in Western Washington is near impossible without driving 20+ miles and that is if its not raining or muddy. I will post on other threads when I might be ready to go shoot and hopefully meet up with some of you.
I've never had an outdoor shooting area I've used that was inside of 20 miles. Having a place to shoot off of the back porch is "on the list" of requirements for our eventual move.
I'd shoot, and hand/reload a LOT more if I had the opportunity to pop off a few on a whim.

While I see the value of shooting close, that's why I belong to a private range near by. But it does seem hurried and more like work. My most bestest and favorite shooting is done when I make a day out of it. Meet up for breakfast then out to the BLM for a day of shooting. Stop mid-day for a bit of a nosh then back to shooting. Then be out of the woods before dark.

We gotta polish up our act. This guy actually listened to what some of us said. :cool:
That's exactly what I was thinking. Most times on these threads the discussion starter receives 80 + replies, gets overwhelmed and hasn't been back since two days after he posted, and takes up something like fishing, or knitting, instead.

I feel like this post could serve so many others but may get lost over time.
That's okay, If you did a search you'd see that there are many posts asking the same question and having the same info posted for the person asking.

While I see the value of shooting close, that's why I belong to a private range near by. But it does seem hurried and more like work. My most bestest and favorite shooting is done when I make a day out of it. Meet up for breakfast then out to the BLM for a day of shooting. Stop mid-day for a bit of a nosh then back to shooting. Then be out of the woods before dark.
I used to live in Dallas Texas. Back in the late 1970's early 80's we used to drive to the BLM National Grasslands north of Decatur TX to shoot. It was a solid 70-75 minute drive but we could go set up in one of many different places with a safe backstop and shoot from 25 to 500 yards. We would load up our vehicle with target stands and milk jugs full of water and spend most of a day shooting within a few feet of our vehicle. It was the best times I ever had shooting.

We would also load up with trash bags and gloves. Every single time we carried out everything we brought in, plus a lot more trash from the slob shooters who were littering up the place. As more and more people discovered it as a shooting destination it became more and more trashed. People would bring out old tube TV's and other glass and just leave it there. There were a few people who brought out their full-auto weapons and really made a mess, and disturbed the residents who bordered the BLM property.

At first the BLM shut down all but a few designated shooting locations. But because the BLM lands are 'multi-use", the horse people would gather there with their trailers and horses, and trail ride all over the property - sometimes oblivious to the fact that they were downrange of people shooting. And sometimes not so oblivious. Eventually the BLM pulled the plug on recreational shooting and that was it. Since none of my group were landowners, that was the end of all-day range sessions from the back of our vehicles. It was heartbreaking to have to go back to a bench or position at a public range.

I would urge you to go above and beyond cleaning up your BLM ranges and make sure the Rangers know you are doing it. If they stop to talk ask them for their contact information and how you can help them keep it a safe and clean place to shoot. Don't be afraid to report unsafe shooters and litterers - they are not your friends and they will eventually be the reason you can't shoot there anymore.

My shooting partner and I are both retired from the Coos Bay District of the BLM. So we get it and clean up after ourselves and everyone else. As far as the Rangers we know them and they know us so it's all good.

My shooting partner and I are both retired from the Coos Bay District of the BLM. So we get it and clean up after ourselves and everyone else. As far as the Rangers we know them and they know us so it's all good.
1700074962509.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads