JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
osprey;

Those problems were addressed early on and corrected with new powder and chrome lined barrels. Then the techies came up with the stupid idea I described above.

I do have an AR-10 which I believe to be a fine shooter with the Liberty Ammunition but have yet to test it. I have a 5-25X Leupold Scope on it so it should be a great performer. I've done some testing of the Liberty Ammunition and it seems to be extremely accurate at least in the .45ACP Caliber which I have shot out to 200 Meters and was able to get an 8" Group! That's Awesome!!!:):):)

Well it sounds like you have come by your opinion honestly. However, my understanding was the two biggest culprits with failures of the M16 in Vietnam were due to corroding of non chrome lined chambers and the use of ball powder altering the designed cyclic rate. So basically with the pressure curve of the ball powder, the bcg was trying to extract a cartridge that was still too expanded against corroded chamber walls. In light of this couldn't you could give the old AR15 another chance, lol.
Basically Ordnance Corps tried to sabotage the M16 program leading to the early issues that where resolved soon after.

osprey;

Those problems were addressed early on and corrected with new powder and chrome lined barrels. Then the techies came up with the stupid idea I described above.

I do have an AR-10 which I believe to be a fine shooter with the Liberty Ammunition but have yet to test it. I have a 5-25X Leupold Scope on it so it should be a great performer. I've done some testing of the Liberty Ammunition and it seems to be extremely accurate at least in the .45ACP Caliber which I have shot out to 200 Meters and was able to get an 8" Group! That's Awesome!!!:):):)

I fail to see this bad techie idea you are alluding to regarding the AR15. Am I blind?

GlockFan1990;

Personally, I don't need to watch a video, so I didn't, I was there.

My Crew and I replaced a Whole lot of the early Barrels and I personally assembled the very first XM-203 in Counrty, we set the Standard at 45 minutes on a Colt Receiver and 1.5 hours on any other Brand. I had a Really Great Crew, who were almost all Draftees! They had ALL been injured but not bad enough to be sent Home. They learned quickly and know the basic M-16s and one other Weapon. Then they cross trained each other until they knew all of the Weapons that came into the Shop, including a number of Foreign Weapons!

Those guys were keepers and All of US made it Home.:):):)

Mike

I guess I am dense and need to need to be spoon fed. I read all your posts and I am still not completely clear if you have a mechanical/design related aversion to the platform? It seems because bureaucrats tried to cover up and make excuses for design flaws with the originally issued M16 you have a bad taste in your mouth when it comes to the platform?

Last Edited:
A few years back I logged over 300+ flight hours going out into the Field during a fighting War while attending a little Skirmish in Southeast Asia for the purpose of Inspecting some 40,000 M-16s or their Clones because some Engineers in the States decided that the Barrels were wearing out because the Troops were using the Sectional Steel Cleaning Rods that were issued with their Rifles. Despite the fact is that I had already proven that the idea was pure and Simple HOOKEM! There I was an Aberdeen Proving Ground Trained Small Arms Repairman(MOS 45B20) doing this incretably Stupid Inspection!

Now I guess that's the Very, Very, VERY Great Reason to Hate what is called the AR Platform!:mad::mad::mad:

I missed it too, why were the barrels wearing out?

If you read the Post it says because they were being cleaned from the muzzle with Steel rods. But it was not really happening. Which I proved.:):):)

Ah, It sounded as though you proved the cleaning rods were not the source of wear, as opposed to there being no wear problem.

If the barrels were ok, what was/is your issue?

Ah, It sounded as though you proved the cleaning rods were not the source of wear, as opposed to there being no wear problem.

If the barrels were ok, what was/is your issue?
The rods were the problem but the wear didn't make any difference because the barrels were still accurate even out to 300 Meters.:)

My problem with the whole thing has been that the .223:mad::mad::mad: Simply doesn't hit hard enough, while the .308 does.:):):)

The rods were the problem but the wear didn't make any difference because the barrels were still accurate even out to 300 Meters.:)

My problem with the whole thing has been that the .223:mad::mad::mad: Simply doesn't hit hard enough, while the .308 does.:):):)
Years ago, my buddy in Bend told me he had acquired an LMT in .308 Win. I said, what do you need that for? You already have a nice AR-15 (or several). He replied, if the @&>= ever does hit the fan, and I really NEED to shoot something, I want it to stay shot. Succinct reply, and now many years later, I just acquired a PS-10 in .308 Win., for much the same reason. (And PSA made it affordable enough for even someone as budget constrained as me! My friend was not so constrained, years ago, nor today....:oops:)

Years ago, my buddy in Bend told me he had acquired an LMT in .308 Win. I said, what do you need that for? You already have a nice AR-15 (or several). He replied, if the @&>= ever does hit the fan, and I really NEED to shoot something, I want it to stay shot. Succinct reply, and now many years later, I just acquired a PS-10 in .308 Win., for much the same reason. (And PSA made it affordable enough for even someone as budget constrained as me! My friend was not so constrained, years ago, nor today....:oops:)
Mike is an Armoire and if I ever get to shoot it I'm sure I'll do the Job. I have two Uppers, one with Scope and one with Red Dot.:):):)

Ok now we are getting somewhere. I cannot disagree with your logic there. It was like prying teeth but we got there :).
Actually, I have Posted my Tale Several times on this Forum and have included my Basic Training experiences with the M-14s and the M-16s and my time in the CZ with the M-14, ALL of these have been long range shooting with both Rifles with the M-14 being Positive and the M-16 being a Negative. It would be nice if people would do a Search for this type of information before asking again!:):):)

As a service weapon, i had mixed feelings about the M-16 and variants, mainly due to the limited range, and hitting power, as well as the tendency to "Ice Pick" a tango, made worse with switch to the M-855 ammo! I love the platform in a few configurations, but always wanted/needed something with more range and power when deployed, the M-21 and M-24 fixed those issues for me, but were not always practical to use in the field!
As a civilian, I have choices in ammo I couldn't even dream of in the service, and that is what has kept the AR and that caliber alive for me!
I find that 55 gr Hornady Varmintator works quite well for in close, and the Black hills M-262 clone ammo to be almost perfect for needed range and stopping power, especially used in a SBR!:)

Last Edited:
My ready to go bug out mags are loaded alternating penetrators and hollow points 5.56. Not being able to foretell what the circumstances will be, everybody who requires my attention will receive a series of double-taps until I'm convinced they no longer require my attention.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top