JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What ammo would you load your favorite AR magazines to have at the ready, assuming a bugout scenario? I'm looking to complete an MTM box that holds 15, factory-style mags, or a 6-mag rig.

I was originally thinking Federal 62GR green tips. But after the "ammo test" I ran, I'm considering Fiocchi 55GR 223 based on accuracy.

A similar thread a while back opened my eyes to how much better ammunition is out there for personal defense and rifles.

After lengthy research I settled on this stuff.

upload_2019-2-23_16-46-11.jpeg

YouTube videos of expansion/tumbling in gel brought me to appreciate the Hornady 55gr soft point.

It doesn't have the colorful polymer tip on the end so it doesn't get nearly the attention, but it can be bought in bulk for 8 cents a piece and reloaded for a total cost of 14-15 cents a piece after primer and powder.

Then you can load 1000's of rounds and not feel bad shooting/practicing with the same ammo. That ensures there is 0 point of impact shift from your practice rifle ammo to your 'business' rifle ammo.

I keep 12 mags loaded with Hornady 62g TAP barrier in my go bag and 6 loaded mags of green tips in my get home bag. I keep a few mags of 168g Barnes TTSX for the AR10.

Most of my loaded magazines have either XP193 55gr PMC X-TAC or 56gr M193 made by MEN in Germany. I do have some few magazines loaded with Speer 64gr and 75gr JSP as well but in a my bug out bag I have chest rig with 8 magazines loaded with M193.

From my personal experience, not from a gel block...Speer 62gr Gold Dot and Federal Tactical TRU L or T

The link Taco posted, shows a 64gr Gold Dot, I've only used the 62gr, and it performs much better through auto glass than the 64gr. as listed.

Because I have more 62 grain M855s, that is what most of my mags are filled with. I am using a 1 in 7 twist LWRC. For my pre-ban Bushmaster 1 in 10 twist 18.5 inch barrel, I stick with 55 grain. I also have some unique HPs that may be effective for in the house defense, including the purple Winchesters - remember those? Not a lot of penetration, but good/fast energy transfer. I may eventually buy something similar to the TAPs.

I know that many people say not to use reloads for self defense, but I have 500 Nosler PPT HP, 64 grain bullets that I am going to make up a defensive load with. They should do everything that I want in a defensive round. They are not cheap, but I have read good things about their anti-personnel and barrier blind characteristics.

For my HD gun (colt 6920) I keep a couple mags of Hornady TAP 62gr barrier blind, then about 10-15 of PMC m855, and then 5 20 rounders of hornady frontier 68hr bthp for my spr'ish build. And then about 5 scorpion evo mags of my old carry ammo stashed in a backpack that the evo lives in for road trips

You guys are making me feel like 2 loaded mags just isn't enough...
All I have is Federal in 55gr and 62gr, the 62gr was loose so that's what I loaded up.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top