JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is probably here in the threads some where but I would have a hard time to trying to find it.
I'm new to reloading and have a friend that swears by Dillon Precision. I'm not looking for a competition setup but something I can keep plinking with.
What are your thoughts on the loader you have and can you compare it to at least one other brand. And what does everyone think about the Hornady AP progressive.

What calibers are you planning on loading for? What quantity of rounds per session? How much time and $ are you looking to invest to get started, and to produce the volume of ammo you would like? Are you a person somewhat mechanically inclined?

Giving some consideration to, and answering these questions will help people to be able to provide you a better response.

What calibers are you planning on loading for? What quantity of rounds per session? How much time and $ are you looking to invest to get started, and to produce the volume of ammo you would like? Are you a person somewhat mechanically inclined?

Giving some consideration to, and answering these questions will help people to be able to provide you a better response.
.308 as a primary to start and rounds per session isn't something I'm concerned with ill do what's necessary. Time money and volume are things I will consider on the journey and as needed to keep the trigger going. I am very mechanical and experienced with most precision measuring instruments. I have one son that is a machinist who will be doing this with me and another who is going to school for mechanical engineering. But I'm not here to brag about how much we can do. I don't think its possible to stump me on any technical issue. Not saying I know it all but if I wanted the knowledge I'm not afraid of studying.

I have both a single stage and AP Hornady press and I love them both. I've used Lee and RCBS and I prefer my Hornady equipment but the dies are not really any different.
Haven't used Dillon so can't give a comparison on that one.

One of the best for me is a commercial ammo plant. However, buying commercial ammo is too darn expensive and they don't often make what I want or need.

For doing production runs, the Dillion 550 is a good balance of simplicity, cost and warranty. There is also aftermarket parts and accessories to enhance it. You start getting bigger than the 550 and caliber conversions start getting expensive.

Most quality single stages are comparable for low volume work. I prefer the Rock Chucker with the primer tube and arm system.

I started out using a Dillon XL650 and cut my reloading eye-teeth on 9mm then 30 carbine. Both of these calibers were somewhat forgiving and easily suitable towards larger runs. The one thing you have not mentioned is the type of shooting you are doing. Is precision a factor? If so, it might be best to start out with a single stage and good powder machine to have more control of loads versus the less precise powder measure on the Dillon. Note that I am not saying to not use a Dillon for 308 but that it may take more effort to dial it in if you are doing a lot of powder changes or ladder tests. In that case, you could do the ladders on a single stage and then once you have a specific powder load, then set up the Dillon and crank away.

If you go with a single stage like a RockChucker, do yourself a favor and install the Hornady conversion and bushing rings to make die interchangeability easier. Once you have your brass prepped, know your bullet seating specs, have your dies set up and know how to use the powder machine (such as a RCBS Chargemaster Supreme), loading 5, 20, or 50 is pretty straight forward. If you are doing larger runs, then a progressive press makes things easier once set up properly.

Good luck with your investigation and choices.

I'm new to reloading and have a friend that swears by Dillon Precision.
I'm not sure I'd recommend jumping into the deep end of the pool first thing, Why not start with single stage equipment as a start and learn the basics of centerfire cartridge reloading. Before you spend money on equipment that does a whole bunch of things at once with one pull of the handle. Maybe your friend has single stage stuff you can use to start. Oh, be sure to thoroughly read the general information in at least one reloading manual.

Unless you intend going into business as a licensed ammunition manufacturer, keep it mind that it's a hobby and supposed to be fun.

I've been reloading centerfire cartridges since about 1984. I didn't "graduate" to progressive equipment (Dillon) until about 2017. What I found was that once I was involved in what had essentially become an industrial process, it was no longer fun. Aside from the fact that however fast, progressive equipment at times can be fiddly to adjust and keep adjusted. Once I sent my Dillon equipment down the road and went back to single stage, it became comfortable and fun again. But that's just me.

One other thing. Even if you adopt progressive equipment, you'll probably want some single stage equipment just to do "rework." Wait a minnit, maybe I'm the only guy who ever had rework after runs on the Dillon.

I'm not sure I'd recommend jumping into the deep end of the pool first thing, Why not start with single stage equipment as a start and learn the basics of centerfire cartridge reloading. Before you spend money on equipment that does a whole bunch of things at once with one pull of the handle. Maybe your friend has single stage stuff you can use to start. Oh, be sure to thoroughly read the general information in at least one reloading manual.

Unless you intend going into business as a licensed ammunition manufacturer, keep it mind that it's a hobby and supposed to be fun.

I've been reloading centerfire cartridges since about 1984. I didn't "graduate" to progressive equipment (Dillon) until about 2017. What I found was that once I was involved in what had essentially become an industrial process, it was no longer fun. Aside from the fact that however fast, progressive equipment at times can be fiddly to adjust and keep adjusted. Once I sent my Dillon equipment down the road and went back to single stage, it became comfortable and fun again. But that's just me.

One other thing. Even if you adopt progressive equipment, you'll probably want some single stage equipment just to do "rework." Wait a minnit, maybe I'm the only guy who ever had rework after runs on the Dillon.
Good post ^^^

Just starting out cold turkey, I think I'd start with a single stage.....a good one.
Learn the "ropes".
You'll always want it around to do load development, no matter what other press you may acquire.
Would I use a progressive for bottleneck rifle ?
Probably not because I would be more into lower volume, precision stuff.
YMMV

One more vote for the Rock Chucker particularly for bottle necked rifle cartridges. I've been reloading over 40 years and still use my rock chucker for all my bottle neck rifle loading. I do 50 cases of one step at a time.

I started loading in 1978 on a single stage RCBS Rockchucker. Once I got the steps down
I could load 100 rounds of 38/357 in a little over 3 hours. I can now load that in 20 minutes
on my Dillon 550. The single stage press you will outgrow in a couple months. I like the 550
as others have said caliber conversions are cheaper. I load several rifle calibers 308, 30/06,
223, 8 mm and 30 carb. You can load match grade ammo on a 550. For some powders that
do not meter well in the powder thrower I weigh each charge. Picture of 5 rounds @ 100 yards
308 match grade ammo loaded on my Dillon 550.
1699363390798.png

.308 as a primary to start and rounds per session isn't something I'm concerned with ill do what's necessary. Time money and volume are things I will consider on the journey and as needed to keep the trigger going. I am very mechanical and experienced with most precision measuring instruments. I have one son that is a machinist who will be doing this with me and another who is going to school for mechanical engineering. But I'm not here to brag about how much we can do. I don't think it's possible to stump me on any technical issue. Not saying I know it all but if I wanted the knowledge I'm not afraid of studying.
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for responding. I'd echo what others have shared. If loading 308 is your goal, I'd start with a good single stage press and a good powder measure.

I have a RCBS Rock Chucker and a Forster Co-Ax. Both are good, but if I were starting over, and my budget allows, I would spend the extra money for the Co-Ax as I like the features it provides. There are some good electronic powder dispensers that are convenient, and also mechanical, hand actuated measures that work fine also. I have and use both.

I don't have experience with the Hornady progressive, but have heard good things. As several others noted in posts above, the Dillon 550 is a good machine. As it doesn't auto index forward, it gives the user more control and thus is a little easier for me than a press that advances the shell plates with every stroke.

I load rifle on a single stage, and pistol on a Dillon progressive, but I don't shoot rifle in enough volume to "need" to produce a significant quantity.

I always tell new loaders to start with a single stage press kit. it gives you all the tools to get started. I am not very brand loyal, I have used tools from most brands with good success.
I like my Dillion for producing long runs of pistol ammo. But my rifle ammo is loaded on a single stage press.
I have a RCBS Rock chucker, that I bought to swage lead bullets. Its also great for loading long rifle cases.
But I also have an alloy Lee press that I got in the late 80s that still gets used every day. It is now a decapping station.
none of them load better or worse ammo, that will be on the operator.
Personally, I like reloading almost as much as shooting! I like the tools, I like the little details, I make each bullet its own little work of art! DR

I have my old standby Rockchucker and a Dillon 550 mounted to my loading bench. I like them both, for different things.

To be honest, the Rockchucker gets used more often, but I'm not a high-volume reloader, and I load a very wide range of cartridges. I'll usually only load one or two hundred rounds at a time at most, more often 50 or less, hardly worth getting the Dillon set up and adjusted for a different round. If I'm going to load a bunch, then the Dillon gets used for sure.

I loaded for many, many years on the old Rock Chucker, including volume pistol rounds. I have a "case kicker" on it and can crank out a couple hundred rounds pretty quick, though speed is rarely my goal, since I don't shoot high volume. Of course the Dillon is WAY faster for volume, no matter how you cut it.

I've actually toyed with the idea of just selling the Dillon, since I use it so rarely, but then again I would really miss it on that rare occasion every couple years when I wanted to load up a thousand .40 S&W or something. I'd hate to think of tackling something like that on a single stage like I used to, after using a progressive.

So like others have said, there's really isn't an all-around "best"; it just depends on your needs.

If you buy a single stage, don't buy one made out of aluminum.
I had a Hornady LnL AP. Loaded many thousand 9, 40 & 45 pistol and 223 / 6.8 spc rounds. Tried loading 308 for my AR10 and the ram head snapped off. Hornady replaced it. It's also one of the dirtiest presses with regard to spilled powder, no matter how slowly I worked the press. 223 & 6.8 AR rifle rounds made in it were only for plinking, i.e. Cover fire. The flexure of the ram head platten was ruinous to ammo OAL consistency.
Picked up a Dillon 650 at a fire sale price, tried it, and there was no comparison. The Hornady was sold and shipped that week. No more using canned air to blow off the press every other index, no more missed primers or fiddling with that f@#(1ng thing to get it to work right. I thought I was trading up when I replaced my Lee Load master with the LnL AP. It actually slowed me down.
With the Dillon, changing calibers is awesome. The die head is removable, so I have a bunch with already adjusted dies and powder hopper so I don't have to tweak the charge. Pull the pins, slide in the new head. Replace the caliber index plate and pins, case ramp and feed guide. Ready to go. If I have to swap the primer feed, that takes a few more steps.
Run ten rounds to verify it's still in tune, and then crank away.

Last Edited:
I started with a Lyman turret press and still have it. My wife bought me a Dillon 550 years ago and I like it. I used to use the turret press for loading hunting ammo for my rifle, but then figured out that I can use the Dillon as a single stage. I normally don't use it as a progressive press with rifle ammo, preferring to weigh individual charges, but in all honesty, I'm probably just wasting my time doing it that way!
The "old guy" advice about learning with a single stage has a lot of merit, but it's not the only way to go. However, learning each step separately does help with understanding the whole process.
When I set up the Dillon to do handgun ammo I can really crank out the rounds. It is a huge time saver over a single stage or turret style.
My only complaint with the Dillon? It's easy for loose powder kernels to end up on the primer seating stem and that dents primers. Keep an eye on that and it's pretty smooth.

I've actually toyed with the idea of just selling the Dillon, since I use it so rarely, but then again I would really miss it on that rare occasion every couple years when I wanted to load up a thousand .40 S&W or something. I'd hate to think of tackling something like that on a single stage like I used to, after using a progressive.
I last loaded 45 ACP over 10 years ago and still have some ready to go from that batch. Obviously I don't shoot as much as I used to, but when loading for the 45 I rarely load less than 500 rounds at a time. That's where the progressive really shines.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top