JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I also had a question for those of you that run 55 grain and 62 grain ammunition, are these for different guns or do you shoot them proficiently in one?

The reason I ask is I've been making different loads for .223, my Bushmaster is sighted in for the 55g FMJ & BTHP, they both shoot very good groups.
The 62g FMJ's shoots good groups but 1.5 inches right & 1.5 inches low in the same AR.
I do not load the 62g ammo for this gun anymore because I would believe it would be unreliable for me to have to compensate for the offset.

Thoughts?

Offset has been an issue for me in some guns. Usually the thicker and shorter the Barrel the less of an issue it will be.

I also had a question for those of you that run 55 grain and 62 grain ammunition, are these for different guns or do you shoot them proficiently in one?

The reason I ask is I've been making different loads for .223, my Bushmaster is sighted in for the 55g FMJ & BTHP, they both shoot very good groups.
The 62g FMJ's shoots good groups but 1.5 inches right & 1.5 inches low in the same AR.
I do not load the 62g ammo for this gun anymore because I would believe it would be unreliable for me to have to compensate for the offset.

Thoughts?

Sight in for the longest range round you use for varmints or blue helmets. If you are defending yourself you are at close range and an inch off when you are talking minute of bad guy gets the same result regardless. In a perfect world you could standardize, but life's messy.

Sight in for the longest range round you use for varmints or blue helmets. If you are defending yourself you are at close range and an inch off when you are talking minute of bad guy gets the same result regardless. In a perfect world you could standardize, but life's messy.

Yeah, the sight in was at 50 yds so out farther is further going down hill...:p

people who think ballistics from SBR 556 sucks have never spent time on sbr ammo selections . I reload 53 grain tsx for all my short barrel 556 shtf loads just as fast as I can send them and still keep a primer in the brass .......

not from a short barrel but still cool

I have a couple of magazines loaded with 50gr TSX that use in my 1/9" twist 16" barrel Armalite rifle that I bought years ago. It has the standard carry handle on the upper receiver as well.

Bold move from a flintlock ;)
Well see what I do is :
Place the loaded cartridge thru a hole , that has been drilled in a board...with the primer end of the cartridge facing me....
Then I fire my flintlock at the cartridge...my round ball hits the primer and the cartridge goes off....:D

Okay to be honest here , I haven't done that with any of my flintlocks but... I have done this trick while shooting my Hawken rifle....:D
Andy

Did that once with a B.B. gun. The primer sure made a nasty sound when it blew by my ear. :eek:

Happened while I was experiencing, "Dumb things you do when you're a kid- 101". :rolleyes:

I should have used a, "Bigger Gun". :p

M855-A1 and M200 for me...
M855-A1 is VERY hard to find, and usually $3+ per round when you do...so I've made a brilliant plan!
When the attacker comes, I'll load one of these....
642BEF7A-6D60-4915-B959-111CE52DB2DA.jpeg
Then one of these....
AA37CB85-6BD5-49A9-A719-11BC29DDC8FA.jpeg
And stagger them like that until my AR15 magazine is all the way full... all 10 rounds....
On these two clips alone I have enough ammo two load my magazine twice!

Ive learned from years of watching Ateam, and knowing my limitations... I'll be very lucky to hit my target 1/2 the time, so why waste a $3 projectile the other half?

Another option is one M855a1 for every 2 M200s, and employ the Biden technique: two blasts into the air, and on the off chance that doesn't work, one shot at the attacker... repeat until the threat is gone. :s0155:

M855-A1 and M200 for me...
M855-A1 is VERY hard to find, and usually $3+ per round when you do...so I've made a brilliant plan!
When the attacker comes, I'll load one of these....
View attachment 552027
Then one of these....
View attachment 552026
And stagger them like that until my AR15 magazine is all the way full... all 10 rounds....
On these two clips alone I have enough ammo two load my magazine twice!

Ive learned from years of watching Ateam, and knowing my limitations... I'll be very lucky to hit my target 1/2 the time, so why waste a $3 projectile the other half?

Another option is one M855a1 for every 2 M200s, and employ the Biden technique: two blasts into the air, and on the off chance that doesn't work, one shot at the attacker... repeat until the threat is gone. :s0155:

Why not just offer the bad guy the $60 a box of M855 would cost you? If he says no, offer a $3 discount with every round you fire at him until he agrees.

The kind that goes "bang" every time a firing pin hits it.

SEE: What is reliable, and what one can shoot most accurately out of one's particular rifle.

If one is finding themselves solo in a firefight requiring an entire standard load-out, there's a good chance one's goose is gonna be cooked. I can state with absolutely certainty, one isn't gonna be concerned with whether one is shooting ball, or what sort of BC the pill that one is sending down range possesses.

John Wick is a movie character.

All of my 5.56 are fmj's and while not all, but mostly are 62 grain.

Brands?

A mixture of American Eagle, Guardian (If I recall correctly it's Turkish and very good stuff) CMC, Lake City and others.

Bought mostly in bulk from SGA.

A quality supplier with outstanding service and prices.

While the twist rate is 1:7 in most of my AR's - 55 grain work quite well too.

My mags are mostly 30 round Pmags with half a dozen or more (don't remember precisely) Troy mags in the mix.

I'm a firm believer in shooting what rifle or gun prefers. Both my AR builds work exceptionally well firing Federal XM193 and XM855, which worked well for me in my years in the Army. Have I tried other manufacturers? Of course, and I can tell you for some damn reason, both rifles absolutely HATE firing Winchester anything. Malfunctions galore! My Glock, on the other hand, is completely different and will work with damn near anything.

Moral of the story: test fire and get what works best for you

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR