JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
From my personal experience, not from a gel block...Speer 62gr Gold Dot and Federal Tactical TRU L or T

The link Taco posted, shows a 64gr Gold Dot, I've only used the 62gr, and it performs much better through auto glass than the 64gr. as listed.

The 62 grain fusion also has a nice warm loading. I am not sure if it is the same 62 grain gold dot though, will have to do more research.

I have shied away from soft tips do to concerns of lead build on the feed ramps and the 300-400 rd Mark, have you experienced this?

Federal 62 Grain Fusion vs Federal 62 Grain Fusion MSR vs Speer LE 62 Grain Gold Dot - AR15.COM

Suppressed 5.56 SBR Velocity Tests--41 Factory Loads from 10.5", 11.5", 12.5" & 14.5" ALL DONE! - Page 1 - AR15.COM

I have shied away from soft tips do to concerns of lead build on the feed ramps and the 300-400 rd Mark, have you experienced this?

I've never been in a 300-400 round fire fight, in fact my load out was never that large...most I ever packed was 100 rounds...based on 25 round magazines.

The Gold Dot has a protected tip, so there's not much if any lead exposed to contact the feed ramps...same for the Tactical TRU L and T...especially the T.

I've never been in a 300-400 round fire fight, in fact my load out was never that large...most I ever packed was 100 rounds...based on 25 round magazines.

The Gold Dot has a protected tip, so there's not much if any lead exposed to contact the feed ramps...same for the Tactical TRU L and T...especially the T.

Hmmm

Now That I am mainly using shorter barreled guns I guess I need to revisit this....

Would like to pick 1 load I can buy a bunch (500-2000) of for reasonable cost.

You guys are making me feel like 2 loaded mags just isn't enough...
All I have is Federal in 55gr and 62gr, the 62gr was loose so that's what I loaded up.

PSA has been running deals on 1,000 rounds of XM193 for $300 and free shipping every few weeks for a year. Green tip M-855 slightly higher and sometimes the same price. Other deals add P-Mags effectively for free and they also sell D&H GI mags inexpensively as well. Get it now while you can and definitely before the political pendulum makes it all the way left again. It's a coming.

IMO you need minimum1,000 to 2,000 rounds per AR-15. You also,IMO need at least 10 to 20 mags per rifle filled and ready to go and the rest on strippers and a few strip LuLas for rapid reloading. If splat happens (cascadia, economic collapse, Martian invasion, whatever) you won't likely be able to get more. By this fall you likely won't be able purchase the legally in Oregon,so don't wait for disaster. The disaster got elected last fall.

77 grain OTP is the best like others have said, but good old 55 gr XM-193 will get the job done at normal defense distances. I mean if I can get more than 300 yards away I can probably break contact except against military. If that's what you are facing, the party is probably already over anyway. M-855 is better against body armor and helmets (why it was specifically developed) but does less damage against unarmored people. It may score fewer style points, but they will still be just as dead.

If you are anticipating defending against assailants wearing body armor or feel you need to shoot through barriers you need to consider switching to a 7.62 platform.

I buy XM-193,but then reload with better designed bullets. I bought over a thousand 64 grain Nosler bonded performance on a deal a few years back that were supposedly discolored but turned out to be perfect. I also have plenty of 77 gr Sierra OTP's.

EDIT: And here we go - $1,000 rounds XM-193+10 PMags for $350 including shipping.$300 after main in rebate
American Eagle 5.56mm FMJBT Ammunition 1000rds & Ten (10) Magpul PMAG 30 5.56x45mm
Magazines

daily_deal_front_end_kit-0293.jpg

Last Edited:
Hmmm

Now That I am mainly using shorter barreled guns I guess I need to revisit this....

Would like to pick 1 load I can buy a bunch (500-2000) of for reasonable cost.
people who think ballistics from SBR 556 sucks have never spent time on sbr ammo selections . I reload 53 grain tsx for all my short barrel 556 shtf loads just as fast as I can send them and still keep a primer in the brass .......

not from a short barrel but still cool

Its all relatove right? Those same bullets would probably kick even more bubblegum to longer distances in a 16 or 20" but better bullet selection allows us adequate performance in a mire manuverable or storeable firearm.

people who think ballistics from SBR 556 sucks have never spent time on sbr ammo selections . I reload 53 grain tsx for all my short barrel 556 shtf loads just as fast as I can send them and still keep a primer in the brass .......

not from a short barrel but still cool

You guys are making me feel like 2 loaded mags just isn't enough...
All I have is Federal in 55gr and 62gr, the 62gr was loose so that's what I loaded up.

Well DUHHHH... I come away from the range with AT LEAST 2 loaded magazines, never shoot ALL yer ammo at the range...;)
That said, I will not give an accurate number of magazines I keep loaded but will say that I own stock in USGI magazine companies....;)
I have loaded up 55g FMJ for practice & 55g BTHP for when it's time to not be nice. :s0004:

I also had a question for those of you that run 55 grain and 62 grain ammunition, are these for different guns or do you shoot them proficiently in one?

The reason I ask is I've been making different loads for .223, my Bushmaster is sighted in for the 55g FMJ & BTHP, they both shoot very good groups.
The 62g FMJ's shoots good groups but 1.5 inches right & 1.5 inches low in the same AR.
I do not load the 62g ammo for this gun anymore because I would believe it would be unreliable for me to have to compensate for the offset.

Thoughts?

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top