JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Since I am left handed it makes the most sense to me to go with the ambidextrious safety.

I have found Bi-mart typically has the best deals on shotguns.
The Mossberg is a great gun to be sure, but I believe the Remington is better. I understand your liking the tang mounted safety of the Mossberg for a leftie. I'm left-handed too, like the Mossberg just fine, but find that the Remington is very easy to use too; not really an issue for a left hander. That said, Bi-Mart has their sale going on right now through tomorrow (22 December 2010) where the have the "Home Defense" Remington 870 12ga with the 18.5-inch bead-sighted CYL barrel, factory +2 magazine extension and black synthetic furniture for $299 with a $30 mail-in rebate... makes it a $269 NIB Remington shotgun. Arguably the best buy of the year.

The plastic parts of the Mosberg?? Save a few more dollars and get the classic Remington 870. Saw some used Police trade ins at the last gun show. Very nice parkerized with rifle sights.

This may be an obvious statement, but once you decide what you want, it might be worth a quick look at the classifieds here. I know I've seen some 590's and an older Rem 1100 on there recently; I don't remember what else is there right now.

There's nothing wrong with a cheap used scattergun in my opinion. In fact, from my experience, shotguns usually show their wear more than most other guns, so it is generally easier to tell how a shotgun was used / taken care of. For instance, my Mossy 500 has fine dirt embedded in the stock / buttpad that would take hours to remove with a scrub brush, so anyone that sees it would know I use it for duck hunting (even if I have the home defense barrel on it instead). However, the slide mechanism is still tighter than most Mossbergs, so it is obvious that it only has 200-300 shells down the pipe. I look for rust on the reciever and cosmetics, but I don't worry too much about rust in the bore unless it is really bad (unlike any rifle or handgun I look at). Finally, if it will be used for hunting at all rather than just HD, the value of a used shotgun depends quite a bit on the barrel type (vent rib, interchangeable chokes, and ability to use steel shot). Anyway, I'm not an expert by any means, but that is a starting point if you decide to look at used shotguns.

My 2 cents on the topic is this. I will be purchasing a Benelli Supernova tactica as my HD pump shotgun and likely either a Saiga 12 or Mossberg 690 spx for a semi auto later down the line. The saiga 12 would be a great gun no question however is at least double the price to get one that has been reworked and has all the kinks worked out and what I believe is an acceptable stock on it.

Back to the pumps the Supernova is definitely on a higher level of quality than either the Remington or Mossberg when it comes to overall fit and finish they may all hold up similarly but the Benelli is better thought out and has lot of nicer touches. That said the slide release would be on the wrong side for you f you will be shooting the gun left handed which would likely be a deal breaker. I question the placement of the slide release on the mossberg since it can be accidentally actuated in a panic. That leaves the Remington which I'm not wild about but I believe the slide release is at least on the left side which means you could release with your trigger finger (I believe this is preferable). I could however be mistaken on the Remington since it's been a while since I handled one for qualification. I do know that if you do not keep them clean and well lubed you can get some crazy jams. I've had the slide jam to the point where the Gunnersmate running the range had to take the gun from me (seemingly irritated thinking I just was soft stroking) and upon trying several times to clear it had to hold the slide with both hands while slamming the butt into the ground to clear the jam. It wasn't pretty. That said I would feel comfortable recommending one of their upper end pumps for HD either the police model or the model about the express the name eludes me.

Let us know how things go. Good luck.

I was lucky enough that someone pm'd me here and said they had a 590 I could check out.
I plan on going to English pit sometime next week and meeting up to shoot it.
I am more than likely going to buy that 590 he has.

Let me say this, buying a well used shotgun is like buying a used car with 350,000 miles on it. At any time it can, and will break down on you. Shotguns get the most abuse and the least amount of proper cleaning.

Sometimes even a lightly used, will give you headaches....

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top