JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The shotgun or the AR?
Ive never had it happen, I figure the design has obviously been figured out to prevent that but it is interesting to find light strike marks on the primers of all cycled AR rounds. To me its just a reminder of rule #2.
If your primer gets hit hard enough from cycling you got other problems tbh.

Yep. Very light strikes are common with the AR, but completely harmless. I think that was mentioned earlier, but the AR firing pin doesn't have enough mass to generate enough force on its own to detonate a primer.
Another consideration beyond firing pin mass is the softness / hardness of the primer itself in the ammunition you are using.

From what I understand, Federal makes the softest primers in the industry, and then at the other end of the scale you have hard military primers with 7.62 / 5.56.

It needs to visit a gunsmith. It went off when cambering a shell.
A visit to a gunsmith is in order then...neat shotguns for sure.

As well as a good thorough cleaning...
maybe some old gunk is in the bolt...causing the firing pin to be stuck in the forward position...
Or did you shoot a reload...perhaps a shell with a protruding primer...?
Andy

Last Edited:
My AR or my shotgun I don't rechamber the same round if I actually have to chamber a round for HD. I only had to do it once with my AR when we had a huge wind storm and the garage entry door blew open. I knew it was the wind but just to be safe a put one in the chamber and checked out the situation. Afterwards I dropped the magazine and got that live round out and it immediately went into my range bag to shoot at my next range trip.

my uncle once shot himself while trying to clean a rusted up 22 everyone thought it was unloaded but it wasn't luckily he got it in the shoulder but it could have been real bad. Turned to my Mother and said I think I just shot myself. LOL the practice of treating all firearms as loaded even if they aren't is probably a good policy and that was an accident and it happens whether someone else gets hit or yourself, always respect the firearm.

This was many years ago in the Kali Desert back when I lived Behind Enemy Lines....

But I had a friend with a holstered Colt 1911 (.45 Cal) go off in the holster while he was wearing it.

We were in a group just standing around talking.

*POP*

He said the first thing he felt was liquid running down his leg.

Then it was "Hey Guys! I think I'm Shot!"

He was on crutches at work for a while.

The only thing we could figure is the Military holster he was wearing (with the Flap) compressed the grip safety enough to allow a chambered round to ignite.

o_O

Damn, the background sure looks strikingly identical to my own range. The bay, the props, the hill in the background, even the damn gravel and weeds, everything... Any way to figure out where this video was shot? Checking the guy's "About" page didn't help at all... :s0092:

I've looked at several of this guy's other videos and the background and various bays look exactly like the HESA Range and pistol/action shooting bays at Rattlesnake Mountain Shooting Facility.

ETA:
Like this one. He's lying on the concrete floor of the HESA range shooting the gongs in the berms on the hillside.
That whole hillside looks precisely like the hillside at RMSF. STG that's my range. How do I figure that out? o_O

1678699586831.png

Last Edited:
Damn, the background sure looks strikingly identical to my own range. The bay, the props, the hill in the background, even the damn gravel and weeds, everything... Any way to figure out where this video was shot? Checking the guy's "About" page didn't help at all... :s0092:

I've looked at several of this guy's other videos and the background and various bays look exactly like the HESA Range and pistol/action shooting bays at Rattlesnake Mountain Shooting Facility.

ETA:
Like this one. He's lying on the concrete floor of the HESA range shooting the gongs in the berms on the hillside.
That whole hillside looks precisely like the hillside at RMSF. STG that's my range. How do I figure that out? o_O

View attachment 1383013
Seems to me if it looks exactly like your range in every shot where you can identify things, then it's your range.

Seems to me if it looks exactly like your range in every shot where you can identify things, then it's your range.
Was just looking for something confirmative in his About or bio section to say where it is that he films his vids.

ETA:

View attachment 1383013
I have no info on the location or the individual, just happened to watch the video on YouTube... It would be interesting if any person at your range was aware of the particulars of this occurrence.

At the end of the day, some people should not carry a pistol that does not have a Manual Safety. The lawsuits bear this out.
Hundreds of thousands of P320s with Manual Safeties are fielded by our military and we don't see any of these "self discharging" P320 stories coming in from the military.
^^^It would be interesting to know how many of these "accidental" shots were on guns with safeties. I know they are likely in the minority of civilian ownership but would still be good to know. With video nearly EVERYWHERE, how many of these were caught on video? You would think they would be happening on police ranges all the time or at competitions where it seems video is running constantly.

I have an open mind and am interested in the truth here without a horse in the race. Don't own any Sigs but my bride carries them, including two 320, both with manual safeties. (Okay, don't want to see her shot.) NOT questioning his integrity, but in the video posted by @sobo, would he have been DQ'ed with all the witnesses that said his hand was not on the gun? (Perhaps the rules just say yes no matter what, and not @sobo's integrity!) And Sig indicated there was a specific issue with his gun.

Been around LEO constantly since 1985 and known of many ND...all attributed to operator error. Many unloaded 870's with a finger off the trigger went off in our parking lot and on calls. I watch lots people at the range and on YouTube slamming their guns back in holsters, including big name people. Witnesses will be drawn to the sound of a shot and by the time they look, hands will be in the air and away from the gun. An article of clothing (cinch strings from the sides of jackets), or something else will no longer be there after the gun is pulled out of the holster. Are some of those joining the suit people who messed up but think they can project their failure on a gun company? I don't know, but given human nature, it would not surprise me.

I have an open mind and am interested in the truth here without a horse in the race. Don't own any Sigs but my bride carries them, including two 320, both with manual safeties. (Okay, don't want to see her shot.) NOT questioning his integrity, but in the video posted by @sobo, would he have been DQ'ed with all the witnesses that said his hand was not on the gun? (Perhaps the rules just say yes no matter what, and not @sobo's integrity!) And Sig indicated there was a specific issue with his gun.
USPSA rules say that any ND gets you DQ'ed, no matter how it comes about. So whether his hand was on the holster or not, he gets a DQ since the gun fired.
Been around LEO constantly since 1985 and known of many ND...all attributed to operator error. Many unloaded 870's with a finger off the trigger went off in our parking lot and on calls. I watch lots people at the range and on YouTube slamming their guns back in holsters, including big name people. Witnesses will be drawn to the sound of a shot and by the time they look, hands will be in the air and away from the gun. An article of clothing (cinch strings from the sides of jackets), or something else will no longer be there after the gun is pulled out of the holster. Are some of those joining the suit people who messed up but think they can project their failure on a gun company? I don't know, but given human nature, it would not surprise me.
Nor would it surprise me, given at least one person with whom I am tangentially familiar (nephew of the wife of a shooting buddy) who claimed he had a P320 ND. Knowing what little I know of him, added to what my friend's wife said of his character, your supposition would not surprise me, in this man's case at least. She suspects he was lying about the ND and was likely looking for a big payday from SIG.

FWIW, in that guy's case against SIG, he won in part and lost in part. For those interested, the case is here:
https://casetext.com/case/hoefs-v-sig-sauer-inc

Hoefs did not amend his claim to cure his claim's defects pointed out by the court within the 30-day timeframe granted by the judge, so his suit was dismissed.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top