JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been thinking about an HD shotgun purchase and I have decided I will have one as soon as funds allow.
Based on the extensive online research I have done, I have decided to go with Mossberg.
Since I am left handed it makes the most sense to me to go with the ambidextrious safety.
I live in the Salmom Creek area the first place I visited was Walmart in Hazel Dell. I have seen many threads online about the deals they have. Well they dont sell shotguns at all. I asked the sporting goods clerk if any Walmarts sold them here in the Couv. He said he doesnt think so.
Next stop was Big 5.
I was able to handle a Remington 8 shot express and that felt pretty nice but didnt like the safety location. They has that one for 319.00
Also handled a Mossberg 500 (security model) with an extended mag and that was a nice one too. I liked that one better. That one was 279.00 I believe.
I made a trip from there out to check out the selection of used shotguns at L-L guns in Battle Ground. I drove by their new location at the old bank but no cars were there
and it looked like they were closed. Not sure of their hours but will try again on a different day.
Then I went to Sportsmans Outdoor or whatever its called in Orchards just off of Fourth Plain.
They had quite a large selection of rifles, shotguns and pistols.
My 2 boys, 5 and 8, really liked the taxidermy animals they had there.
I went to the gun counter and I was the only one at the counter looking but Mr. Sales Guy was too busy looking on his computer and didnt even acknowledge me.
If you, as the sales guy, arent gonna look up occasionally to see if anyone is at your counter then I will not say anything and move on.
Guess what Mr. no customer service, I wont be buying from your store.
So thats my looking locally so far.
I plan on going to Dicks at Jantzen Beach and maybe a few other places to narrow down my decision.
I have not handled one yet but am leaning in the direction of a 590 or 590A1.
I will post more once I visit a couple other places.
This is all a learning experience for me since the last time I was firearm shopping was for a pistol and was at least 15 years ago in the Milwaukie/Clackamas area.
Maybe my local shopping will give others ideas on where to go and/or where not to go here in Vancouver.

I have found Bi-mart typically has the best deals on shotguns.

I just got back from the Orchards location to see if I won a gift certificate on lucky Tuesday but my number wasn't a winner.
I saw a Benelli and the only Mossberg was a 410. He said they had sold lotsa guns in the past couple months. They get restocked every Monday and Thursday and they don't know what they are getting in their orders. He said to check back to see what they get restocked with.

THREW IT IN THE TRASH??? :eek: There has to be more to this story!

I apologize for the thread hijack in advance :eek: .

Nope Nothing more to the story. I bought it when I was going to school in Idaho Falls in 1985. I left it at their house when I was transferring duty stations from Connecticuit to California in 1988. When I got out of the service in late 1991, I started bugging them about sending it to me. I got many stories about why they couldn't...they were told it was illegal to ship through the mail...they couldn't find a box big enough (it was a PG model without a buttstock ;) ). Finally when I returned home in person several years ago, I drug it out of them that she had gone on a cleaning binge and the shotgun got bagged up and 'possibly' thrown out with the rest of the garbage. They never paid me back.

Keith

Long View Wal-Mart sells guns. But not many of them.

Go to Oregon side for long gun.

Fisher marine has lots of stuff to look at. Price is usually higher than others.

Keith's also have lots of long guns. Call if they have what you want

Bi-Mart has good price too on sale. Oregon.

------------------------------------------

590 is very nice gun for HD. get A1 if you want some tacticool :)

Main reason what Mossberg is better than others is safety location.

Only problem with the Mossberg 500 (I own one myself) is the plastic trigger group housing. On mine after a couple thousand rounds of light loads it cracked (note that military contract Mossbergs have metal trigger group housings). This crack made it so the breach would come open all on its own (without any pressure on the pump mechanism) when the gun was fired--which struck me as a a particularly unsafe condition. A factory replacement trigger mechanism is available from Brownells and can be installed yourself quite easily, but costs around $90 last time I checked.

The mossbergs are good guns. I realy like the safety. But befor you buy one do yourself a favor, look at the benelli nova. It costs a little more, and it doesnt have the cool safety, but IMO it is a much much better gun for only a little more money. I have had both, and you will be very happy with the mossberg, but look at the nova first.

WoW, i think i know what person your referring to at Wholesale sports in orchards. He's kinda freaky looking, huge bug eyes. I think i went to heritage with the poor little guy. At any rate go to bright water ventures and get either a mossberg 590A1 in 20" or a saiga 12. Both have dual extractor claws and easy access to whatever your try'N to reach(slide release, safety or bolt hold). I first bought a mossberg 500, all i herd was how much better the remingtons were. Being a remington 700 owner i decided to buy an 870P. I had nothing but problems WITH IT and now complaints/bashing. i love my saiga 12 and there isnt a better deal thaN BRIGHTWATER.

A benelli for $329, for that price it must have been the nova. Google Benelli nove vs mossburg. but with all the reading in the world, nothing is more inportant than buying what you like, and what fits you. Good luck

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top