JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
when it just happened to be pointed at someone. Seems to be a common defense in a shooting.

Over 900,000 times, though some would be repeats of the same incident.

just-went-off.jpg

Anyone here familiar with an injury shooting where that excuse was given?

Bruce

With regard to the recent Murdaugh trial, the guy who Alex 'hired' to kill him was previously interviewed about the incident and he said while he was wrestling with Alex over the gun, he had his arm pinned behind his back and the gun just 'went off', grazing Alex on the head.

With an injury...no
However...
A long while ago when at a local shooting pit...I did see a fella have a negligent discharge with his AR15 Carbine.
His comment :
"F*ck...the gun just went off !!!"
Luckily everyone was back from posting / setting up targets.

After some discussion and observation of this fella...
Seems he had the bad habit of keeping his finger on the trigger , almost all the time when handling his Carbine.
His friends and I helped him stop doing that....politely...but firmly.
Andy

The only time a gun goes off by itself is when the user is in denial of an action.

I have a saying I use to teach others, "all accident shootings happen with an unloaded gun". Some people get that right away others challenge it. I keep an eye on the latter...

With an injury...no
However...
A long while ago when at a local shooting pit...I did see a fella have a negligent discharge with his AR15 Carbine.
His comment :
"F*ck...the gun just went off !!!"
Luckily everyone was back from posting / setting up targets.

After some discussion and observation of this fella...
Seems he had the bad habit of keeping his finger on the trigger , almost all the time when handling his Carbine.
His friends and I helped him stop doing that....politely...but firmly.
Andy
I assume y'all "politely" took his trigger finger and inserted into his corresponding nostril two joints deep…..

I assume y'all "politely" took his trigger finger and inserted into his corresponding nostril two joints deep…..
Well...not exactly...
He was surprised that I could shoot and handle his AR as well as I did...
Seeing as how I was shooting , in his words....a "Hillbilly Mountain Man gun ".

Not sure what angered me more...
His lack of firearm safety...or his disparaging words about my Hawken Rifle...
Aw...who am I trying kind...it was his unkind words about my Hawken...:D
Andy

I posted here quite a while ago a video of a gun going off by itself. That's the only one I've ever seen. Anyway in the video the guy tries to shoot bolt gun several times (same round). Then set gun down and moved away then gun went off. Probably a hand load I'm guessing or Russian primer maybe.

My guess is people think it went off by itself because they didn't realize they touched the trigger or don't want to admit they did.

Last Edited:
Well...not exactly...
He was surprised that I could shoot and handle his AR as well as I did...
Seeing as how I was shooting , in his words....a "Hillbilly Mountain Man gun ".

Not sure what angered me more...
His lack of firearm safety...or his disparaging words about my Hawken Rifle...
Aw...who am I trying kind...it was his unkind words about my Hawken...:D
Andy
Fight'n words when you bad mouth Andy's Hawken :D

I have witnessed one firearm going off by itself. It was in the late 1960's and I was a child tagging along on a pheasant hunt. Midday, the group stopped for lunch. The men set down their guns pointing in safe directions, but all insisted that Earl put his Model 1897 Winchester leaning on a fence with the muzzle pointing in the air facing away from where the group was gathered. Earl grumbled mightily, but the group was insistent, claiming that Earl's gun was notoriously unsafe and had to be handled with extra caution.

About ten minutes after he leaned up the gun, our lunch was interrupted by it going off! No one had been near it since it was placed there, there was no breeze, and, of course, no earthquake to shake it up. The general tone of the discussion was "I told you so," although Earl defended his firearm to the bitter end. At least he was always careful to never allow the muzzle to "sweep" anyone. There were six people in the party, so this was well witnessed.

Edit to add: If Alec Baldwin or his legal team ask, this was a complete work of fiction!

Not really a injury but this was definitely a dumb time... So a friend had no idea on how to clean there 40 s&w pistol...so I showed them how lubed it back up and when he gave it to had a full mag in it so I put the mag back in and handed it to him was his edc...well what does someone usually do after a firearm is cleaned??? That's right run the slide... So he did once...A little while later I have no idea why he decided to drop the trigger it was laying on his lap... and yep the gun went off he allmost lost his leg...no it didn't just go off.. but it was definitely a dumb accident could of been so much worse after that no more firearm handling for him.... And of course no ammo around before or after cleaning...since then I really don't like to clean others firearms I would rather walk them through the steps

Found the video. Skip to 2:51 mark

Looks like bolt moves every time he presses trigger.

Maybe original version:

Google translation:
Reference: Lingering Shot - delaying a shot from a firearm or artillery gun after the trigger has been triggered. It occurs due to the low quality of gunpowder, which can be caused by both factory defects and violation of storage conditions or due to a malfunction of the igniter. With a long shot, premature removal of the ammunition can lead to its operation in the hands of the shooter or the calculation of the gun. To prevent this in the event of a suspected misfire, it is recommended to wait some time (different for each weapon), pointing the barrel in a safe direction. TOZ-106 (MTs 20-04) is a compact hunting single-barreled shotgun of 20 caliber. The people have the name "Death of the chairman." Developed on the basis of the MTs 20-01 shotgun, it features a shortened barrel and a folding metal stock. https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A2%...

Posted in English:

Bruce

Last Edited:
SKS or most shotguns can go off if tipped over because of the free floating firing pin.

I know there are a couple places that make SKS firing pins with springs to prevent that but I've never heard of one for a shotgun

The only time a gun goes off by itself is when the user is in denial of an action.

I have a saying I use to teach others, "all accident shootings happen with an unloaded gun". Some people get that right away others challenge it. I keep an eye on the latter...
I get it, but I'm the latter. Negligent shootings happen when someone is being negligent. An unloaded gun (factually) has never shot anyone. It's always been a loaded gun that was perceived to be unloaded. That being said, following the rules with even an unloaded gun is a good way to go through life to avoid negligent outcomes, and works when followed because they were designed and written to be idiot proof.

Some gun related recommendations/rules are just silly. "Keep ammo and guns in locked in separate areas." - yeah, no. Mighty inconvenient for actually using them.

"Keep guns unloaded unless in use" - yeah, no. Loaded firearms fill the role of needed firearms far better than unloaded firearms.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top