JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If he took a shot at the responding LE's and also failed to stop when commanded, then they did the right thing since it was unknown how much of a threat he would be to the public at large. I have no problem with LE's being properly equipped to deal with threats such as this. They may have to deal with guns, knives, explosives, highly unstable/psychotic people, mobs, etc. A single pistol or shotgun simply isn't enough for some situations.

All I expect is judicious use of greater force and restraint when called for. None of us want a police state, and as others have said, I don't think we're there, though I can see why some might think that. All in all, it seems the news reports I've seen, LE's have been justified in most cases to use a higher level of force as well as the tools necessary to stop the threat.

I will, in most cases, give LE's the benefit of the doubt, but in the end, they must be held to a high standard by the public.

If he took a shot at the responding LE's and also failed to stop when commanded, then they did the right thing since it was unknown how much of a threat he would be to the public at large. I have no problem with LE's being properly equipped to deal with threats such as this. They may have to deal with guns, knives, explosives, highly unstable/psychotic people, mobs, etc. A single pistol or shotgun simply isn't enough for some situations.

All I expect is judicious use of greater force and restraint when called for. None of us want a police state, and as others have said, I don't think we're there, though I can see why some might think that. All in all, it seems the news reports I've seen, LE's have been justified in most cases to use a higher level of force as well as the tools necessary to stop the threat.

I will, in most cases, give LE's the benefit of the doubt, but in the end, they must be held to a high standard by the public.

Well said.

I do worry ( a bit ) at the so-called "militarization of the police"...but I do think that in most cases and with most departments ....extra training and understanding of the use these items , goes on and that much of the worry ....is overrated.
Andy

LE isn't playing some board game......they are dealing with life and death in many situations. They can't afford to loose a fight and should be allocated any tools necessary to accomplish the job. If the tools are somehow misused, that needs to be addressed but we have to trust them with anything available to exicute the duties we assign them. The "average citizen" isn't there real concern. The "average citizen" would have stoped and submitted to them when they showed up or would not have been in that situation in the first place.

The militarization of the police is concerning. It is extremely concerning. The police should not be allowed to have any weapon they deem necessary to feel safe.

Police should have the weapons, and tactics, to handle the situations they face 99% of the time. Handle, not show overwhelming force. This particular situation is inside that 99%.... a vehicle and a suspect armed with a semi-auto rifle. This wasn't a full auto rifle, nor was the guy in body armor, nor did he have an armored bulldozer ready to battle the swat team.

Two cruisers and a few AR-15s could have ended this fight. Proximity to the school was not an excuse for this flagrant escalation that the police will undoubtedly use to justify their possession of the APC. The suspect was obviously content to roam in the field with his truck. First contact was in the field, the first call was of him in the field.

I have been to a country recently that Andy may be referring to. It is a shocking wake-up call that every American should see.

If you think you should only be worried about a LEO if you're a bad guy, look at any state you believe the laws of which are unconstitutional. Think of all the LEOs in those states we despise, and how they zealously enforce laws you believe are unconstitutional.

When the authority tells the police that you're the bad guy, we'll see how you feel about them having APCs. I pray that day never comes.

Until then, we need to make sure local gov'ts don't have a ready reserve of military in the form of police departments.

Utah police officer fired after manhandling, arresting nurse who was doing her job

Louisiana school board president on teacher arrest: Everyone wants to side with the 'poor little woman'

All escalation worries aside (no one wants that) the next time someone starts driving around in someone else's field and shooting at people who come near him, you can be the one to drive up there because if there are a few of you, the incoming bullets can't hurt you!!! how cool is that?

I wouldn't, and because of that I don't choose to be a LEO.

Citizens should draw the line where police stop in the equipment arms race, not police. Right now police are drawing the lines.

Citizens should draw the line where police stop in the equipment arms race, not police. Right now police are drawing the lines.

Stop paying taxes and never count on dialing 911 ever again then. Do your part, fight the fight. All of this over a lousy APC that any of us here can buy legally and easily. :rolleyes:

Not to mention you're "Two cruisers and a few AR-15's" comment. Yup, the standard issue RWD police cruiser is known to be an exceptional vehicle in muddy fields and slippery conditions. :rolleyes:

If this was a pavement chase, the APC would never have been dispatched.

Id say whoever has the courage to confront and stop a deranged man shooting a gun at people, has the reserved right to decide and pick what tools they need to get the job done.

Id say whoever has the courage to confront and stop a deranged man shooting a gun at people, has the reserved right to decide and pick what tools they need to get the job done.

As long as us citizens approve right? :rolleyes:

Stop paying taxes and never count on dialing 911 ever again then. Do your part, fight the fight. All of this over a lousy APC that any of us here can buy legally and easily. :rolleyes:

Never dial 911 again because I don't think they should have APCs? Because I think they'll side with their own over protecting citizens when the call is made? Because they should accept risk in order to not be a military presence?

That is quite extreme.

Yeah, the average citizen who has ZERO understanding of firearms and gear should have a say so in what LEO's are allowed to carry and dispense when SHTF. Sure.

OK, I pick a LAW rocket and I'll hit him from the street. Can I be a LEO now? Is that acceptable?

Cite even ONE time this has happened and I'll be happy to take your side. You do realize an APC has ZERO armament right?

Checks and balances on power. Police having an APC is power. They granted themselves a power they shouldn't have.

For all the pro constitutional sentiment out here, it gets hung up when law enforcement is mentioned. Shame on us.

Checks and balances on power. Police having an APC is power. They granted themselves a power they shouldn't have.

For all the pro constitutional sentiment out here, it gets hung up when law enforcement is mentioned. Shame on us.

Again, I can buy an APC, a surplus Humvee and even a demilitarized tank. So can you. None of them have any armament. What's your point?

Cite even ONE time this has happened and I'll be happy to take your side. You do realize an APC has ZERO armament right?

What is there to cite? The quote was "Id say whoever has the courage to confront and stop a deranged man shooting a gun at people, has the reserved right to decide and pick what tools they need to get the job done."

If you can pick any tool, a lot of courage comes with that.

why should the cops have less firepower than the bad guys?

So you're saying the line is the police can have anything a civilian can have? I think that is extreme but fair.

I've stated my belief above that police should be armed with tools to equal the threat posed by 99% of all situations.

not even 1% of people have demil tanks, I'd assume. I haven't looked up tank ownership.

The militarization comes from the clouded understanding of the mission of law enforcment. Are there limits or not? The Hollywood incident was more like the last straw. It wasn't the initial shock that got the ball rolling.

The uniform of a peace keeper or door kicker is not the same. Even if it's the same man they cast a different projection and unless specifically called for, not just at Sherwood, I say we should see more of the peace keeper. The man in too many cases will become the uniform.

Hypothetical Situation here. Bad dude walks into a school with a_______________ name weapon of choice here. Starts killing and making demands! People are dying, and more are at extreme risk, at what point in this do you rub your head and say ok to the police having access to things that up till now you flat out refuse to allow? The longer you take to think out your reasoned answer, the more kids and staff are killed! Quickly now, you need to answer, life hangs in the answer you provide!!!!! Come on now, people are FREEKIN OUT at the sights and sounds coming out of that school man, and LEO hands are tied because you don't want them to have the tools needed to do something to put a stop to this! Unfortunately this has already happened, and our LEO didn't have the tools they needed, and people died! Blood is on the hands of every one who cried out STOP, do not allow our Police to have certain tools so they can do a better job in the face of this new world we live in! The time it took you to read this, 12 kids were killed, and the time it takes to answer the questions I pose to you 12 more will die! What is your reasoned answer?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top