JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This happens all the time with fishing! Take some noob out fishing, and the next time you go there, that dude and all his buddies are there in "Your Spot" catching all the fish, and you got the screw! :eek::confused::(:mad:

39ce8aab4ebdba0a514621a08604b323.jpg

Shown once! Then my first time out solo I took a $10 Johnny Stewart plastic predator call and a Model 94 30/30. I called in a coyote almost as fast as I sat down. Dumped him at 7 yards. Next time out I used my Rem 700 chambered in 223, called in a Grey Fox and let it go. 34 years later I don't waste a ton of time yipping, howling, and locating. Scream like a rabbit and if they're in the area, uneducated, don't see, hear, or smell you, they'll most likely come in. Some on a string at mach 1 and some will take their sweet bubblegum time. I keep a 870 3 1/2" Super Mag in my lap and a 700 bolt on the bipod to my immediate right. I have all the fancy electronic stuff but in the end I know I can get it done on a budget. Don't over think it! You don't need to borrow anybodies gear. $10 and a good gun and you can hand out dirt naps like a pro. :)

I too was a new hunter a few years ago, and still am for that matter, and have found it mostly hard to get good info from folks directly. I have posted a few times on NWF with different questions about guns and hunting alike and have received both helpful answers and also snarky remarks. It confused me why if folks didn't have anything constructive to say why they had to let you know that your question was that of an unintelligent toddler. Looking back, knowing what i know now, some of my questions do seem kinda dumb; but they weren't to the newbie asking them! I hunted 3 years unsuccessfully before finally getting my first buck. Each year of going home eating tag soup was disheartening but i will admit that i learned a ton each time being out in the woods. To me the best way to learn is to get out and put boots to the ground and binos to your eyes. Scouting, camping, hiking and attempting to hunt. Obviously most of us have work and families and can't be out in the woods every day so in between trips to the outdoors i use every resource i can to gain knowledge on hunting, weather, gear, animal habits, ammo and guns, tactics, plants and regulations. I use books, Google, Youtube, magazines and podcasts daily to soak up as much info as i can. Some groups i lean heavily on now that have good knowledge and good ethics are Born and Raised, Hush, MeatEater, Randy Newberg, and Bear hunting Magazine.

Vented*

Jesus this turned into a long post! Not trying to sound too upset or resentful and unappreciative of this forum, mostly a rant about the difficulties of hunting in general

- Brandon

Last Edited:
I wonder how @Beekeeping1341 did so far this year? Not many new hunters in my new state of residence of MT, lol. Almost mandatory. Saw a truck with 2 deer field dressed in the back at the VA hospital in town. Like paradise.

Between fires and Covid it's been rough for a lot of hunters new and old. Heard some pretty rough stories from people.

I need to get some more calls. I really enjoy calling even if just in my car. Diaphragm calls are really rewarding once you get them down. My daughter loves our owl/dove call

This year has been a learning experience for sure. Very grateful for my coworker who has shown me some of the ropes. I don't think I would have gotten into it without him.

The spot that I thought was a honey hole has been over run. I was up there this past weekend with my buddy and I bubblegum you not, saw 11 other people there. 4 on horseback, three on road bikes (wtf) and a couple other pairs of dudes.

We had gone up there to hunt yotes....I had seen a ridiculous amount of coyote sign there this summer....I had seen them on my game cams too. And they were just GONE when I went up there this past weekend.

Someone opened their mouth about that place for sure. I do now understand why other hunters give new hunters the cold shoulder.

I did however see a buck within 25 yards of me there though as we were calling yotes.

I'm over trying to hunt the PNW. I finally enlisted last Tuesday and hope to get stationed somewhere with less hunting pressure, in less rugged country. The blackberry here is the WORST. Not to mention the million fallen logs and slippery hills lol

The spot that I thought was a honey hole has been over run. I was up there this past weekend with my buddy and I bubblegum you not, saw 11 other people there. 4 on horseback, three on road bikes (wtf) and a couple other pairs of dudes.
How far from the parking lot were you? You need to get out farther, and do some hiking.

And they were just GONE when I went up there this past weekend.
Oh, they were there - they just didn't come to your call, or whatever method you were using. Probably saw and smelled you as well.

I do now understand why other hunters give new hunters the cold shoulder.
Can you blame them? This does not only apply to hunting but to a lot of outdoor activities us 'other hunters' don't want to share.

Not to mention the million fallen logs and slippery hills lol
Heck, sounds like a typical hunting environment. Just think - it could have been worse!

Wait for pups to be hungry after a few more cold snaps.

You found a call to borrow?

How far from the parking lot were you? You need to get out farther, and do some hiking.

Oh, they were there - they just didn't come to your call, or whatever method you were using. Probably saw and smelled you as well.

Can you blame them? This does not only apply to hunting but to a lot of outdoor activities us 'other hunters' don't want to share.

Heck, sounds like a typical hunting environment. Just think - it could have been worse!

Damn dude you know so much. You're so impressive. I bet you get deer ALL the time. One day ill be a hard charger just like you

Practice your calls late at night in portland. Just for the hell of it. you'll probably get karens comin' out in force, on nextdoor. But there are "yotes' seen in quite few places in potland every years.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews