JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Having a nagging wife, toddlers murdering eachother

The combo of a wife and multiple toddlers is indeed a force of nature, as I have experienced first hand.

My point is that: the gun community and especially the hunting community does little to actually help out newcomers at the end of the day.

I've seen what you mean and it is one of many aspects of the gun culture I'm increasingly concerned about. We should be reaching out rather than repelling away.

Yuuuup I have picked up on that here. With there being fewer and fewer hunters, especially younger hunters you would think people would leap at the thought of helping a younger new hunter out. That same mentality is why we are losing the culture war on the 2a, and hunting in general. Oh well. Once I learn more I'll try and help new hunters out.

It makes sense that hunters are similar to fishers. Not being a hunter, but a fisher. I'd be hesitant to take a complete stranger out to my spot(s) I found on the Columbia after several years of scoping out the right travel lanes for salmon/steelhead. (Those would be two different travel lanes most likely). But I wouldn't hesitate to tell someone I took a liking to, that seemed like a good guy, WHAT to look for once you got out on the water. And lure choice, and colors. Unfortunately I ran into quite a few of those types that wouldn't even divulge color/style of lures when fishing was my primary habit/hobby.

Fire arms are different though. Personally, I was welcomed, with open arms, when I started playing with guns in 2010. It saddens me to read people saying "Screw 'EM, we don't need THOSE kind of people with us". Guess I got lucky. I never had to prove what my politics were before I was helped along here.

@Beekeeping1341 I'd suggest you keep doing what your doing. You may just meet someone in the process who will take a liking to you and guide you some. There were three guys that showed me some areas to fish shortly after I moved here from Utah. And took me with them. Between that little bit of help, and my long time love of fishing, down the line I did what I thought was pretty darned good. No where near the REAL salmon/steelhead junkies, but we ate fish when they were in season!

I can understand about no takers on mentoring someone, as we "hunters and fishers" oftentimes go out in the woods to escape all obligations and "civil pressures" and the LAST thing many of us want to do is "school" someone.

HOWEVER, if not us then who?

I simply don't have the free time to invest due to the demands of my profession, BUT I DO have a cheap-o electronic dog caller with a remote control activator/programmer that has a wide variety of different pre-programmed sounds that works pretty decently.

It's been stashed (unused but for one time) somewhere in my pile 2A crap out in the shop for several years, so if you're interested (and to get you started) I'll see if I can dig it up for you and just ship it to you for to keep.

I'll let you know what I find! :s0155:
Regarding the "time demands of your profession" can't you just get another guy to dance in your place? Asking for a friend.

I've got the fox pro inferno you can borrow, if SE Portland isnt too far for you to come get it.

I'm in the same boat as you trying to learn to hunt on my own as an adult.

Yeah man I'd really appreciate that. My usual haunts just got shut down so I'm off to scout out new areas. If you're down to scout the areas and do a couple cold calls while we're out there that would be cool too.

Now thats one thing I don't have the faintest idea how to use lol.
Well this is an excellent time to learn!

Mouth blown calls take some practice but most of it is understanding that 'less is more'. Once you learn the basics it is important to know once you are in your stand you may only blow on the call for 15 seconds or less - and then may spend the next 30-45 minutes just watching, not moving - heck you cannot even move your head - just rotating your eyes left to right to avoid movement.

You will never get over the experience of a 'yote approaching you within 10-15 ' and it being completely unaware of your presence.

I once was calling with a friend leaning against an old rock wall and us rolling eyes at one another while we heard a 'yote on the other side of the wall pacing back and forth in the snow - yea snow - we were sitting in about 6" of it at the time !

I would take a $10-$20 hand call over an electronic call any day.

I learned the art by watching a lot of Randy Anderson coyote hunting videos on YouTube. There are a couple of older ones he does where he teaches you the different types of howls they do which leads in to how to attract them vs. scaring them away. Just search him on YouTube and you can get a great education. I did and am quite successful at it.

Best of luck.

So much to my dismay the hunting area I have put all of my scouting energy into is mow shut down.

That said I am starting to do some preliminary scouting of some other areas.

Are there any other newish hunters that would like to tag along? Preferably one with a cougar tag as I will be doing some cold calls as well (might as well) for cats and dogs.

I am 26, vet, fit enough to hike, have safety equipment/satellite beacon and land nav skills. Would prefer to meet up first before going out to scout just to make sure you're not a ted bundy.

The gun community is two things by nature: individualistic and distrusting. The hunter segment of this community, I would argue, is even more so.

Want to know what it looks like when a stranger from another state pops into the local climbing gym? They make instant friends, get offered a beer at their newfound buddy's favorite brewery, and get offers to join the next outdoor climbing trip anyone has planned. To me, this is what a warm and welcoming bunch of people looks like.

Shooting/hunting...well, you come on boards here asking for things like a mentor or where to shoot and are met with ... silence at best and a rebuke at worst.

Good on you, OP, for doing what you want to do.

Sincerely,
A guy in the same boat.

Note: I'm not saying the gun crowd are not nice people - they're very nice people. Just not, take you under their wing for no other reason, welcoming. That tends to be a more liberal personality trait anywho.

There's a big difference. Big game hunting takes place over the course of 3 or 4 weeks a year. We wait all year long for that time and its really hard to invest time in others when our time to hunt is so short.

There is also a lot of work and time put into finding places to hunt. Big game hunting isn't a social event where having people around is a good thing. Every human I see during hunting season is someone I'm competing with for an opportunity.

Hunting is more like trying to get laid. It does you no good to put more roosters in the hen house.

There's a big difference. Big game hunting takes place over the course of 3 or 4 weeks a year. We wait all year long for that time and its really hard to invest time in others when our time to hunt is so short.

There is also a lot of work and time put into finding places to hunt. Big game hunting isn't a social event where having people around is a good thing. Every human I see during hunting season is someone I'm competing with for an opportunity.

Hunting is more like trying to get laid. It does you no good to put more roosters in the hen house.
Thank you for proving my point.

Not only do I agree with everything here, but will add in this:
Most of us have invested a lot of time and energy in scouting our areas, many have hunted those areas a lot over the years, and were NOT about to show green horns all the tricks and easy way, no matter how willing they are to "Earn" it, or how much money they offer! Many of us are seriously vested in our hunts, we have devoted YEARS to it, studied, scouted, ranged, and even helped manage those areas, We WORKED for it, and given the short amount of time we have "Allowed" to hunt, it's a serious business, especially when raising two young'uns and relying on the success of that hunt to supplement the quality meals the hunt may provide! In Short, your also asking me to potentially take food from my kids mouths! It's not easy to find some one willing to teach and pass on what they have learned, so it's a blessing when that rare opportunity comes up! Not saying i'm not willing to help some one out, but Man, that's a lot of my time and work invested into someone, so it frickin better be worth it!

Thank you for proving my point.

Your point is that hunters aren't welcoming, but you provide no context as to why. Instead you compared it to something that is so totally different that its apples and toilet augers.

Hunters aren't some socially deficient group as compared to rock climbers. I bet you'd balk at sharing a girlfriend or wife like a climbing wall.

Taking someone out to your spots is a good way to run into them at the same spot during the next season. It happens like death and taxes.

This happens all the time with fishing! Take some noob out fishing, and the next time you go there, that dude and all his buddies are there in "Your Spot" catching all the fish, and you got the screw! :eek::confused::(:mad:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top