JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
New hunter here. I've found a great hunting spot that has most all animals I want to hunt in it. Cougar scat, coyote scat deer etc. I have put out a game cam and confirmed yotes are frequently in the area. When I go scouting I also bring my female gsd and she scent marks all over the place. That has drawn more coyotes in as well. So the odds of having coyotes respond to a call seems good I would think.

Also, in terms of regs about hunting yotes you can use standard cap mags right? I believe thats what I've determined reading through the regs. Just have to use hollow points. I don't have a 5 round AK mag

I have never actually hunted and would like to go this upcoming week. I just don't want to spend several hundred bucks on a foxpro just to find out that I don't like it, or accidentally call in a cougar when I don't expect it and spook myself out for good.

If anyone is willing to let me borrow their call for a day I would appreciate it, and would toss you 20$ for the favor.

With all due respect you are approaching this in a very unconventional manner.

Hunting, be it game animals or varmints is not something you you undertake nonchalantly for a day to determine if you like it or not. Also the use of a Foxpro does not guarantee instant success.

Hunting is not a day at the amusement part where you pay a fee, walk through the gate and enjoy the rides.

Hunting is a long term endeavor which is not only about the taking of animals but includes an appreciation of the outdoors (and a lot of time spent in it) planning, scouting and finding good locations for a 'stand' or to conceal yourself - and none of which is done in a day.

I would like to suggest you take some time (like the rest of the summer) and spend some time hiking in whatever area you plan to hunt. Carry your rifle, do some off hand field shooting. Read some books, attempt to find someone who might consider 'mentoring' you because based on your statement of 'Never actually hunted' you are hardly prepared to take this on yourself - especially in one day.

And FWIW you are aware there are mouth blown calls correct?

Considerably less expensive than a Foxpro, very effective with a little practice and easily carried around your neck for impromptu stop and call while scouting.

Last Edited:

Hunting, be it game animals or varmints is not something you you undertake nonchalantly for a day to determine if you like it or not. Also the use of a Foxpro does not guarantee instant success.

Hunting is not a day at the amusement part where you pay a fee, walk through the gate and enjoy the rides.

Hunting is a long term endeavor which is not only about the taking of animals but includes an appreciation of the outdoors (and a lot of time spent in it) planning, scouting and finding good locations for a 'stand' or to conceal yourself - and none of which is done in a day.

I would like to suggest you take some time (like the rest of the summer) and spend some time hiking in whatever area you plan to hunt. Carry your rifle, do some off hand field shooting. Read some books, attempt to find someone who might consider 'mentoring' you because based on your statement of 'Never actually hunted' you are hardly prepared to take this on yourself - especially in one day.

I have spent a decent amount of time out in the area I plan on hunting in. Ivd gone scouting there about 5-6 times in about 3 months. I do take my rifle, as evidenced by the 7.62x39 next to the I believe cougar crap as evidenced by the hoof material and deer fur.

I have a bunch of potential stand locations marked on onyx, and have patterned out the deer that live in the area

I'm definitely not non chalant about it, and have invested considerable resources into buying gear. I realize the foxpro doesn't guarantee success but it is what most people use, so if I were to borrow a call it is the most likely one to be borrowed.

I still consider myself as a new hunter though since I've only been getting out into the field for a few months.

FB_IMG_1597852983756.jpg

Last Edited:

And FWIW you are aware there are mouth blown calls correct?

Considerably less expensive than a Foxpro, very effective with a little practice and easily carried around your neck for impromptu stop and call while scouting.

The gun community is two things by nature: individualistic and distrusting. The hunter segment of this community, I would argue, is even more so.

Want to know what it looks like when a stranger from another state pops into the local climbing gym? They make instant friends, get offered a beer at their newfound buddy's favorite brewery, and get offers to join the next outdoor climbing trip anyone has planned. To me, this is what a warm and welcoming bunch of people looks like.

Shooting/hunting...well, you come on boards here asking for things like a mentor or where to shoot and are met with ... silence at best and a rebuke at worst.

Good on you, OP, for doing what you want to do.

Sincerely,
A guy in the same boat.

Note: I'm not saying the gun crowd are not nice people - they're very nice people. Just not, take you under their wing for no other reason, welcoming. That tends to be a more liberal personality trait anywho.

The gun community is two things by nature: individualistic and distrusting. The hunter segment of this community, I would argue, is even more so.

Want to know what it looks like when a stranger from another state pops into the local climbing gym? They make instant friends, get offered a beer at their newfound buddy's favorite brewery, and get offers to join the next outdoor climbing trip anyone has planned. To me, this is what a warm and welcoming bunch of people looks like.

Shooting/hunting...well, you come on boards here asking for things like a mentor or where to shoot and are met with ... silence at best and a rebuke at worst.

Sincerely,
A guy in the same boat.

Note: I'm not saying the gun crowd are not nice people - they're very nice people. Just not, take you under their wing for no other reason, welcoming. That tends to be a more liberal personality trait anywho.

Yuuuup I have picked up on that here. With there being fewer and fewer hunters, especially younger hunters you would think people would leap at the thought of helping a younger new hunter out. That same mentality is why we are losing the culture war on the 2a, and hunting in general. Oh well. Once I learn more I'll try and help new hunters out.

Tagged for interest. And I agree that "new hunters" asking questions around here tends to lead to less than helpful responses.

Plenty of charter companies would disagree. So in your opinion if a person doesn't have the ability to invest enough of their time to meet those "long term endeavor" requirements should they just not even consider it? I ask because I AM going to hire a charter for a pig shoot in Texas and was wondering what your thoughts are on that.

I ask because I AM going to hire a charter for a pig shoot in Texas and was wondering what your thoughts are on that.
If you are NOT familiar with the area you are going to be hunting in such as NOT living in the area, or are relatively close to, but an unfamiliar area as well then I believe a charter or guide service is a very practical idea.

In the case of the OP it seems he is close to the area he is going to hunt and hopefully he can spend some time in it on a regular basis to become familiar with the area.

This is why I suggested he take the time to do this but appears he has already done so to some degree and it sounds like he is gaining knowledge of the area.

Familiarity with ones' area is a very positive advantage - especially when hunting - and for safety sake as well.

Tagged for interest. And I agree that "new hunters" asking questions around here tends to lead to less than helpful responses.
I'm not a hunter either but have seen that the OP has mentioned his desire to learn more in previous posts of his. He HAS asked before and I do not remember him ever getting more than a lukewarm response. So his desire to go out on his own makes perfect sense to me. If others are not welcoming or if he receives no offers to help him to learn then I don't see that others should put him down for learning the only way open to him. Seems like a nice guy from what I have read of his.

I'm not a hunter either but have seen that the OP has mentioned his desire to learn more in previous posts of his. He HAS asked before and I do not remember him ever getting more than a lukewarm response. So his desire to go out on his own makes perfect sense to me. If others are not welcoming or if he receives no offers to help him to learn then I don't see that others should put him down for learning the only way open to him. Seems like a nice guy from what I have read of his.

I give credit to anyone trying to get into hunting and taking the DIY approach. :)

Sincerely,
A guy in the same boat.

How do u know Rvtech is not right on the money with his statement? Have you seen this thread?

whe
How do u know Rvtech is not right on the money with his statement? Have you seen this thread?

Having a nagging wife, toddlers murdering eachother, and a German shepherd who is part fish and insists on swimming near where I fish does lead to poor results with fishing.

The times I scout I am thankfully free of all the noise, and have had good luck spotting deer, coyotes, bobcats etc.

RV's post is a mild rebuke. OP stated that he had decided to hunt and is asking to rent a device. RV's post is essentially stating that OP is not hunting the way RV approves.

My point is that: the gun community and especially the hunting community does little to actually help out newcomers at the end of the day. See any thread talking about newbies to shooting and the myriad of community members that are either hostile to the idea of a liberal new gun-owner or dismissive of it. Very, very few people are actually *helpful* to new shooters - especially in ways that are actually meaningful (posting on the internet is helpful, taking someone shooting is meaningful).

If god had said, thou shalt not covet thy shooting/hunting location...well, many people would be going to hell.

IMO, the OP has done the work. Now he just needs experience. Good on him, for sure. Hunting anything is a continual learning experience. I have thrown it out there before that I would accompany a new hunter to assist in an area of their choosing if local to me. I don't predator hunt, though, and would only be able to provide company and general field craft advice for that. Right now I am in flux though, as I am moving to western MT next month.

What I generally don't do, though, is act as a guide in areas I have put in the work. Doubly so if it is in competition with me filling my tag. Friends and family, yes, but not a stranger or casual aquaintence. It is what it is.

I can understand about no takers on mentoring someone, as we "hunters and fishers" oftentimes go out in the woods to escape all obligations and "civil pressures" and the LAST thing many of us want to do is "school" someone.

HOWEVER, if not us then who?

I simply don't have the free time to invest due to the demands of my profession, BUT I DO have a cheap-o electronic dog caller with a remote control activator/programmer that has a wide variety of different pre-programmed sounds that works pretty decently.

It's been stashed (unused but for one time) somewhere in my pile 2A crap out in the shop for several years, so if you're interested (and to get you started) I'll see if I can dig it up for you and just ship it to you for to keep.

I'll let you know what I find! :s0155:

And I agree that borrowing a mouth blown call would be a wrong thing in this day and age. Loaning it would be too.
FoxPro is an electronic call.
Asking to borrow one from a stranger is not something I would do.
Well maybe when I was young, bold and broke.

OP, why not take that $20 and buy a mouth call (instrument call) ?
I used one for years until I could shell out for an electronic call.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews