JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Response I got back from Ed Orcutt:

I agree with you and you can count on my opposition to this bill. The problem that leads to mass shootings is the lack of respect for human life and the lack of respect for the laws protecting human life -- not the gun, not the ammunition, not the size of the clip.

Ed

Representative Ed Orcutt
20th Legislative District

Response I got back from Ed Orcutt:

I agree with you and you can count on my opposition to this bill. The problem that leads to mass shootings is the lack of respect for human life and the lack of respect for the laws protecting human life -- not the gun, not the ammunition, not the size of the clip.

Ed

Representative Ed Orcutt
20th Legislative District

I've spoken with Ed (and Jamie Herrera before her election to national office) many times at local Chamber of Commerce functions; he's good people.

I stole "Sonic Blue"'s and added my own twist:

Greetings.

In the past, some of you have taken the time to respond to me on issues pertaining to firearms, and for that I'm appreciative. I wish to draw your attention to the recently proposed legislation, and request that you vote against this piece of legislation.

SB 5737 defines "assault weapon" as any semi-automatic firearm, pump action rifle or shotgun, etc., etc. (page 5) and reaches far beyond the already unreasonable definition put forth in the U.S. Senate by Senator Feinstein. Many of these weapons are used for casual/sporting use as well as personal defense. Further, page 7, section 5 (a) infringes on Right to Privacy by giving law enforcement the ability without reasonable cause to inspect a home for "safe and secure" storage, even though said storage is not clearly defined nor - while seemingly common sense - able to be legally required at this time.

I am far from a rural extremist. Like Mr. Hope, I also work in law enforcement, yet I fail to see how agenda-driven and sensationalist efforts can have any effect other than driving a wedge between the populace and the representatives. I believe that a greater positive effect could be realized in other ways. Overhauling the Mental Health system and enforcing the laws already in existence (both on the streets, and in the court system) would have a greater positive effect. Washington State saw a substantial influx of violent gang members from California in the last 5-8 years, due, in part, to California's enhanced sentencing laws, and the "soft" system here.

Please do what's right. Please make sure this does not receive a hearing. If it does, please remember that this goes beyond the pale and is an outright attack on your law abiding constituents.

This will do nothing to prevent violent crime. Violent crimes are at the lowest point in decades. It has been shown time and time again that, in places like Chicago, the criminals will not obey the laws. Hold THEM accountable, and please have some faith in your law abiding citizenry.

Regards,

Would it make sense for someone not eligible to vote (as I'm not a citizen yet) to contact reps?

What amazed me mostly about this bill is the warrantless search. Say bye bye to the 4th as well...

Here is the incident with Appleton I mentioned earlier and why its a good idea to voice your opinions. I love how she says most were from people not in her district.

Well Sherry. This would have affected me here in Vantucky the same as people in your district. Crazy the way that works.

Don't think for a minute this was a misunderstanding. She literally was trying to add a duty to retreat so we would have to second guess if we were ever put in the position to use a weapon in defense of ourselves or another.

Not to mention open us up criminally. I wish I knew who put her up to this. I don't believe she was acting alone.

<broken link removed>

Write these people, call these people. They are afraid of losing their jobs above all else. Make them think they will if they continue to propose this bubblegum.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Would it make sense for someone not eligible to vote (as I'm not a citizen yet) to contact reps?

What amazed me mostly about this bill is the warrantless search. Say bye bye to the 4th as well...

Heck yeah, let them know how you feel. We both have experienced California. Let's make sure that BS stops at the OR border.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Folks you have to read 8BALL's comment also on this page regarding Kline and Murray's bill and then re-read the Seattle Time's article by Danny Westneat (link below). Not only do the two idiots, Kline and Murray, try to blow off the line about home searches without a warrant as just a little reading mistake, it's what Murray then explains. He states that yes the searches might be "probably unconstitutional". Possibly? Where is he from? The he goes on, according to the quote in the article to state he sees the bill as probably not passing, but it serves, "...as "a general statement, as a guiding light of where we need to go." So Murray is admitting that he, and the Liberal Left, acknowledge their goal is not just banning civilian ownership of firearms, but to also give the State the ability to conduct inspections of homes without a warrant! I may just be a a poor retired blue collar, college educated redneck, but if that comment isn't one of the most outlandish unconstitutional things you have heard a leftist admit in writing? Stupid and crazy. I wrote my Democratic District Senator, Mark Mullet (and copied my Republican Representatives) and our two witches in D.C. and asked them is this truly what their Party has come to represent. I also wrote Mike Hope, the sponsor of HB 1588 on background checks to ask him if these are the people, as a Republican, he wanted to ally himself with. Of course they'll ignore it. Morons!

Danny Westneat's column from today's Seattle Sunday Times
<broken link removed>

I received one response, so far:

Thanks for sharing your concern about our Second Amendment rights. Rep. Shea is adamantly opposed to this and any other bill that would tend to undermine the Second Amendment.
A better approach would be tougher sentencing for violent crimes committed with firearms and enforcing the laws already on the books.
That's why he co-sponsored HB 1371, The Firearms Freedom Act, as part of the Freedom Agenda (see "Freedom Agenda WA" on Facebook).

It is a major component of the Freedom Agenda. This bill, if enacted, will exempt all firearms manufactured in WA State from federal regulation and will deal with anticipated future federal regulations, as well. The Washington bill will even be more robust than the much touted Wyoming bill. The history of this bill in previous sessions has been to exempt firearms manufactured in Washington that stay in Washington.

It also in Section 5(4) nullifies any federal law adopted after January 1, 2013 that bans or attempts registration of firearms. And finally, Section 12(4) specifically prevents any restrictions placed upon law-abiding citizens in a state of emergency. Those of us who remember the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina recall the door-to-door confiscation of firearms and the sometimes disastrous results.

The bill number is House Bill 1371 and can be accessed on your personal computer here.

Rep Shea is aware that there could be a slew of gun control bills coming and he is prepared to argue against them on the floor of the House. He is depending upon the informed citizenry, however, to let the body of the Legislature know how they feel about gun control and, hopefully, be available to testify at committee hearings. It was just a few weeks ago that a Democrat legislator withdrew a gun control bill after receiving a blizzard of messages of objection from concerned citizens.

Thank you very much for your letter and please consider receiving Rep Shea's regular updates while the Legislature is in session (see below). You can also follow Rep Shea by checking in on his legislative web site at: Shea .

Warm regards,

Jim Robinson
Legislative Assistant to
Matt Shea
State Representative
4th Legislative District
(360) 786-7984
In just a few clicks you can sign up for Rep Shea's updates:
Subscribe to Rep. Shea's Online Newsletter
"Lower taxes, less government, more freedom..."

Ok, so the likelihood of this passing is small,

Why do you believe the chances are small? This is dangerous thinking. Democrats control everything. It's only because a couple of democrats have decided to caucus with Republicans that gives some hope. I'm not at all confident that democrats can't get this through.

What is it that you know, that I don't?

Why do you believe the chances are small? This is dangerous thinking. Democrats control everything. It's only because a couple of democrats have decided to caucus with Republicans that gives some hope. I'm not at all confident that democrats can't get this through.

What is it that you know, that I don't?

It's already DOA

I would feel more confident if you 1) cited some evidence of that and 2) cited some evidence it won't simply be re-introduced with some tweaks.

I do hope you are correct and not just wishful thinking.

If you were paying attention here it's been well discussed already. The R in charge of the committee has said it's been withdrawn and even if not he promised to squash it. OR has also given up the attempt

Response from Sen. John Braun:

"Thank you for contacting me with your concerns about proposed gun legislation, specifically, Senate Bill 5737, a bill that bans the sale of "assault weapons". The shooting deaths in Newtown, Connecticut and Aurora, Colorado make it difficult to talk about an emotional topic, and I sincerely appreciate knowing your thoughts.

As I expected, firearm laws and mental health laws are major topics of discussion during this legislative session, which began January 14th. I'll be sure to keep your thoughts in mind if any such measure comes to a vote. I am very much aware that there are many constituents in the 20th District that support the 2nd Amendment. I am one of them.

I agree with you. I do not believe we need further laws restricting the right to own guns. Since the crimes that are committed using firearms are committed by people who are not following the law, I do not believe that new laws will hinder them from committing these acts of violence. New laws will only succeed in restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens. I am especially concerned about any bill that allows for an additional erosion of our rights as citizens to keep and bear arms. I will not support legislation that conflicts with those rights.

In reference to Senate Bill 5737, the particular passage that addresses warrantless searches has been removed from the version of the bill that is currently in the Law & Justice Committee. Further, the Chair of that committee has not shown an inclination to hear this particular bill, so it is unlikely that it will pass this session. However, be assured that I will oppose the bill should it come up for a vote.

Thank you again for letting me know your thoughts about this issue. They are shared by many of us. Please do not hesitate to contact my office if I can be of additional help to you.

Sincerely,

Senator John Braun
20th Legislative District"

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR