JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey guys,

New to the forum world and actually paying attention to politics. I read this bill and had to take a walk to cool off. I'm not here to debate the likelihood of this making it to the floor for a vote. What I am wondering is does this forum have a mechanism to email everyone in Washington with instructions of how to properly contact our reps? It may reach more people than some just stumbling on it in this thread.

Just got done talking to one of my electeds and want to pass along and emphasize to not use form letters. Use genuine heart felt letters from yourself. These people wade through so much crap everyday I assume they just round file ones they have seen a hundred times before.

Humbly submitted

Jman1469

Welcome to the forum Jman1469. No way to do this on the forum that I know of, some methods I use are below if anybody is interested.

I wish we had a couple of stickies that list pro gun / enemy law makers, contact info, form letters for people not comfortable writing letters, etc.

1. My favorite. Input your address | Click on the name of one of your reps | Click email | Input your address | on the next page there is a checkbox where you can select to include any other reps you have.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/

2. NRA-ILA | Write Your Reps

3. Ruger - Take Action Now!

Don't forget to call as well. I suggest you be nice but it's just a suggestion... :s0114:

Paper letters are good too.

I am hitting these folks at least once a week. Lately it seems to be every other day, or this week every day. I can't beleive how much garbage they are proposing, something new pops up daily.

I called Ed Murray's office today and left a "reality check" message regarding this bill and promised that I would be sure to let others know about his infringement on the 2A. You'd think after an armed demonstration at the Capitol this idiot would have had more of a clue.

This is the second go around for Kohl-Welles and this bill. She tried it a couple of years ago and it went absolutely nowhere. I suspect it to go nowhere again. I know if it gets to the house both of my reps do not support it one bit. I wrote my Sen. who is a pretty conservative dem so I am hopefully he will be leaning towards our side of it.

Where is the registration requirement in the bill? Also the OP is way off on the beneficiaries. He listed what must be done with the firearm if the person does not comply with the storage and inspection section.

YES! And be sure you all write Rep Mike Hope (R) and tell him just how much of a turn coat he is for supporting HB1588!!!
What in the world is he thinking!?!?!?!!?

Yes this! I honestly wonder if he read the letter I wrote him yesterday after I saw the King 5 article where he said it does not create a registry. I emailed him detailing exactly how it does and listed other things that were wrong with the bill then magically overnight it got all chopped up. Still sucks but not as harsh as it was before. I think its funny that none of the law enforcement officers there including representative Hope knew wether or not police could ACTUALLY run a background check if it was requested by a citizen. Someone said in their testimony that they can only do it if it comes as a request from an FFL (still trying to determine if that is true or not). If that is the case then all private sales will have to go through an FFL which still means there will be a pistol registry as state law requires that the LEO's hold onto their copy of the form 4473 even though this bill says they need to destroy it. Everyone bombard Mike Hope with emails and maybe, just maybe he will come to his senses and realize his career is over if he doesn't kill this bill

One of my House reps, Mike Sells, already wrote me back, it only took him 92 minutes. He has the same opinion on this bill as he did the last time Kohl-Welles tried to introduce it. He does not believe it will even get through the senate and he does not support any part of it. He is one of the few conservative and rational thinking dems, my senator is the only other one I think, we have in this state and dammit if I have to be represented by one I sure am glad it's him.

This is what I sent to my legislators:

Dear Sir:

It has come to my attention that Senators Murray and Kohl-Welles have introduced SB 5737 with an intent to amend the laws of the state of Washington to ban several types of semi-automatic firearms or magazines within Washington State.

While this sort of "feel good" legislation is designed to give the impression that "something is being done" even those proposing such legislation on a national level recognize that these laws will do little to stop violence in the US.

Further, 10 US 311 (10 USC § 311 - Militia: composition and classes | Title 10 - Armed Forces | U.S. Code | LII / Legal Information Institute) states that:

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
(b) The classes of the militia are—
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the
National Guard or the Naval Militia.

It can be seen from this law that every adult male, either in the National Guard or just a regular man on the street, is a member of the Militia.

The Supreme Court, in the case US v Miller, 1939, 307 US 174 (United States v. Miller - 307 U.S. 174 (1939) :: Justia US Supreme Court Center, in part, "...the Militia comprised all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense. "A body of citizens enrolled for military discipline." And further, that ordinarily, when called for service these men were expected to appear bearing arms supplied by themselves and of the kind in common use at the time."

The important part of the foregoing statement is "bearing arms supplied by themselves and of the kind in common use at the time. At this time, the common arm in use by the US military is an AR style weapon. If the Legislature of the State of Washington enacts a law that prohibits the average citizen from purchasing an AR style rifle, how are they to comply with 10 US 311 and the decision of the Supreme Court?

Please, it is important, at this time, to do more than toe the party line,accepting the rhetoric provided by the Democrat party. Think about the values of those of us who elected you to serve US as our Senator.

Thank you for your time.

Ross H. Fain
SSG, USA (Ret)

Why can't the overwhelming majority of gun supporters in Washington turn the tables on these people? Didn't they swear an oath to protect and defend the constitution? Why can't they be held legally liable for breaking that oath? Certainly there has to be some way for a citizen to call these people out and punish them for their lies and deceit?

What's their obsession with barrel shrouds?

Last month I emailed all reps from 47th district and got favorable pro-2A responses.

It's the same as their obsession with pistol grips. Somewhere along the way, probably beginning with Feinstein, it became accepted amongst the anti-gun crowd that pistol grips and "barrel shrouds" are features that are designed specifically to facilitate firing from the hip - e.g. holding the pistol grip, grasping the "barrel shroud" with the free hand, and blasting away Rambo-style. Feinstein has stated on numerous occasions that she believes this is actually a more accurate and deadly use of the weapon in comparison to shouldering it normally. I'm not joking. She persists in this claim, and other anti-gun legislators, who typically know even less than she does about guns (at least she has owned one), believe it through and through. They get their knowledge of firearms from movies and TV, and then go on to draft legislation based on that.

I can personally garauntee that the number Senator in opposition of this will be Washington State Pam Roach. I know her personally and know for a fact that she will never let this fly. I have shot side by side with Pam at the range many times. Pam has even shot machineguns on Ft Lewis. I was there with her as well as a Federal judge from Enumclaw. Start your witting campaigns now, don't wait. Just like New Jersey, I don't think the authorities can't "inspect" you home without a search warrant.

I read the Bill last night, it is the same Bill that was just passed in NY State.
It bans 90% of all firearms ever made in the US!
Plus anyone that ever went AWOL from the service is banned as well

You've gotta keep calling and writing. Canned letters are fine. They just put a X for "for" or "against"

I'm in OR, and I'll be writing your reps. This legislation becoming the norm only desensitized people to the threat the 2A is under.

NRA-ILA, and Ruger have great methods for contacting your officials, state and federal.

http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

You should also consider helping the fight in NY. The more of these laws that are allowed to stand, the more they're viewed as ok, and they'll slowly creep to other places.

You can comment directly on the bill here:

https://washingtonleg.granicusideas.com/widget/agenda_items/511ba621c87a282bde000019-sb-5737

This is my submission:

Comment
This will do nothing to prevent violent crime. Violent crimes are at the lowest point in decades. You are eroding our freedoms and our ability to protect ourselves and our families. Please fix the real problems and leave law abiding citizens alone.
Position
Oppose
Submitted At February 14, 2013 at 11:13 am

Thanks for running the board guys, really helps to see I'm not alone in my frustration.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top