Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

WA SB 5737 - Banning Semi-Auto weapons

Discussion in 'Firearm Legislation & Activism' started by Heidland, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Heidland

Heidland SW Washington Active Member

Authored by Senator Ed Murray(D) 43rd Legislative District (Seattle U District) and co-sponsored by Senator Jeanne Kohl-Welles (D) 36th Legislative District (Seattle, Ballard)

Bans all semi-automatic pistols and rifles able to accept a detachable magazine AND requires relinquishing said firearms to law enforcement. If you do NOT want to relinquish said "assault weapon" you are legally required to register the weapon and allow the Sheriff to inspect the storage of said weapon (warrentless search) at least once a year.

Oh, and when you die your beneficiaries must either render the weapon inoperable or they must relinquish it.

Bill as introduced to the Senate.
    http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2013-14/Pdf/Bills/Senate Bills/5737.pdf

2. duane black

duane black Washington Well-Known Member

Thank you sir for ruining my great day. When will this BS stop ? I will write and call some more idiots today.

Grumble, grumble.

DR3AD5, iceman, Andrea58 and 7 others like this.
  3. John H

John H Whatcom County Well-Known Member

That one is actually laughable .

When hell freezes over.

4. kickstart my heart

kickstart my heart South King County, WA Active Member

This is why I hate living in Washington. Worthless piece of you know what in charge, purposing ridiculous bills like this. These representatives should go live in NY, or better yet, London.

5. PMKN_PI

PMKN_PI Milwaukie, Oregon, United States Active Member

does Washington have an O.F.F. type of advocacy/lobbying group? How much chance does this piece of feces have of passing?

6. BillB1960

BillB1960 Hillsboro Active Member

Ridiculous and clearly unconstitutional specifically based on D.C. vs Heller (2008) and McDonald vs Chicago (2010). I'd say it has a zero percent chance of passing.

7. 223to45

223to45 Whatcom Active Member

Yeah we have the Second Amendment Foundation !!!

8. Nimh

Nimh Everett, WA Member

They're writing this carp up faster than I can push out the letters daily! This one makes yesterday's four look tame.

9. ThePhonMan

ThePhonMan Spokanistan Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

What pathetic excuses for public servants. This is how they represent their constituent’s? Let’s burn up the people’s time and money on this?

I say we need a new ballot initiative. The Idiots in Office Initiative would require the author and sponsors of any bill proposed in the legislature, that is deemed clearly unconstitutional, to pay the State’s costs associated with reviewing and dismissing their useless legislation.

This would quickly drain their reelection campaign funds and rapidly correct the true problem in Olympia.

68w, Grunwald, Nwcid and 5 others like this.
  10. Kable

Kable Lynnwood Active Member

This is precisely why we can't budge an inch on ANY legislation they introduce if they made to get hb1588 passed requiring universal background checks then the flood gates well really open and we will see bill after bill because they think that they have some momentum. This bill is such a crock

11. Oklahomie

Oklahomie Marysville Active Member

Really? Seriously? WTF! That would come out of Seattle.

12. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

Why not add immediate removal from office, they must pay the cost of a replacement election, and they are not permitted to run for any elected position for 7 years. A second offense costs them citizenship and they get dropped in North Korea.

Redcap, aj82, ThePhonMan and 5 others like this.
  13. Misterbill

Misterbill Yakima County, Washington New Member

Unsurprising considering the source of the bill.

This is the usual suspects from the usual locations proposing the same lame-brained ideas that haven't got a chance in Hell of ever getting to committee, much less ever seeing the light of day on the floor.

There are a couple of congressmen, one from IL, one from NYC (McCarthy) that propose similar retarded legislation every single session. This stuff is going nowhere. Even on the west side, we have an astonishingly high number of gun owners in this state. People I know who are definitely on the "FUDD" side, have been going crazy buying up ARs lately. The Dems are over-reaching madly on this issue and it's going to bite them in the butt in a big way in 2014.

14. duane black

duane black Washington Well-Known Member

Mr Bill

I hope you are correct on all points. Im still calling and mailing these idiots every time something like this pops up. Soon it's going to turn into a full time job.

15. Cigarlvr313

Cigarlvr313 Washougal Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I'm having a very difficult time treating these elected officials with any respect when I write to them, is it only me that feels this way?

16. Jman1469

Jman1469 Wa New Member

Hey guys,

New to the forum world and actually paying attention to politics. I read this bill and had to take a walk to cool off. I'm not here to debate the likelihood of this making it to the floor for a vote. What I am wondering is does this forum have a mechanism to email everyone in Washington with instructions of how to properly contact our reps? It may reach more people than some just stumbling on it in this thread.

Just got done talking to one of my electeds and want to pass along and emphasize to not use form letters. Use genuine heart felt letters from yourself. These people wade through so much crap everyday I assume they just round file ones they have seen a hundred times before.

Humbly submitted

Jman1469

17. Suge206

Suge206 Seattle Active Member

Don't let this stupidity get you worked up. its jsut a dog and pony show, its never even going to be seriously considered.

Glock Jock and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Jman1469

Jman1469 Wa New Member

On the flip side have you read hb1371? Pretty sure it's not going anywhere but puts perspective on the nonsense that goes on in the Capitol. Sure 1371 would be great but they sure do waste a lot of resources on stuff that's going nowhere.

19. martini

martini seattle New Member

I have lived in the U-district for 15 years, so I am used to almost nothing going my way politically. Murray probably pumped this sh*t out so he could have some lefty cred in the Seattle mayors race. The scope of these bills is treason. I am getting tired of the 2A assaults, the media over exposing every gun incident. More people die from falling every year.

20. Nimh

Nimh Everett, WA Member

Anytime Kline weighs in on guns, it's worth a letter at a minimum. Few are as righteous, yet so diluted. Murray makes decisions with her heart, in the face of logic or statistics. They're both dangerous.

Martini - more people die every year due to erotic asphyxiation than from what the elect call "assault weapons". That's right - people choking themselves to death while abusing-the-wicked-stick estimated at 500-1000, but that figure is likely low as most families don't report it in shame.